Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Shipping Car Santo Domingo to Miami

A friend of mine will be 83 at the end of the month and has decided to move back to the US.

He wants to ship his car from Santo Domingo to Miami. Does anybody know of a reliable company that can do this?

The board is chockablock with US to DR shipping information but I couldn't find any threads with information shipping DR to the US.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

He might be better served to sell the car here and buy anew in the US. He will likely get more for the car here in the DR since autos are so much more expensive here. Then he can use his 'gains' to upgrade or by new.

...just a thought...

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Castellamonte View Post
    He might be better served to sell the car here and buy anew in the US. He will likely get more for the car here in the DR since autos are so much more expensive here. Then he can use his 'gains' to upgrade or by new.

...just a thought...
    Thanks for replying. I've explained that to him but he wants to ship it.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Some cars...........

.......can't be sent to the US from here...........Make sure it is a make/model that can..............Some cars here do not meet US standards........

Ie: Skoda etc...............cars you see HERE and NOT there..........

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by POP Bad Boy View Post
    .......can't be sent to the US from here...........Make sure it is a make/model that can..............Some cars here do not meet US standards........

It's a Mercedes 2 seater (I'm not sure of the model).

I would think a reliable company could tell him if it's a car that would be allowed into the US.

Poll's Forum Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by POP Bad Boy View Post

If the car is converted to US standards, then it can be shipped.

-NALs

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Strange that Skoda cannot be shipped to the USA. It's sold all over Europe and produced within the EU so it has to adhere to strict EU standards, EU standards are stricter than US standards....

...having said that, I wouldn't ship any European model not sold in the USA already (Skoda, Seat, Peugeot, Fiat, etc.) to the US - good luck getting spare parts.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Other problem

Quote Originally Posted by rubio_higuey View Post
    Strange that Skoda cannot be shipped to the USA. It's sold all over Europe and produced within the EU so it has to adhere to strict EU standards, EU standards are stricter than US standards....

...having said that, I wouldn't ship any European model not sold in the USA already (Skoda, Seat, Peugeot, Fiat, etc.) to the US - good luck getting spare parts.
    Also if the converters and other pollution equipment has been changed modified will have to be repaired to US standards before offloading
    This is common due to the lower quality of Gas/Desiel clogging the converters

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Celt202 View Post
    It's a Mercedes 2 seater (I'm not sure of the model).

I would think a reliable company could tell him if it's a car that would be allowed into the US.
    Make sure it has been constructed to US DOT standards. Often cars made for non-US delivery will have suspension systems, emission systems or headlight systems which are incompatible with US law. Fixing the car to meet those standards can be very expensive.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Unless the vehicle has been specifically designed and manufactured for the US market, chances are that it won't meet US standards. (most "import" models like toyota, honda, VW, BMW, and Mercedes that are made for sale in the US are actually made in the US. Models that actually made abroad are designed and made specifically for the US market.) The regulations are very specific and detailed and involve much more than emission standards.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast