reasonable pay for a local house keeper in STI

Static

Sep 18, 2007
I'm looking at hiring a housekeeper in Santiago (not a live in) possibly 4 to 5 days a week.
What is a reasonable rate offered to housekeepers? I live in a ranch type home, that would require the basic cleaning and house duties (e.i mopping, dusting, light laundry-includes a washing machine, light meals- lunch & dinner; basic Latin meals and just maintaining in order the home- we have no children) there are 3 very small bedrooms- just beds and a very tinny closet, 1 living room med. and a medium size kitchen, a very plain and carefree type of home not a lot of furniture ect.
We are 3 adults (1 retiree women, husband and wife - I travel most of the month, so I'm not there most of the time) Please advise what would be a reasonable pay for a local house keeper.

I don?t know if this is the correct forum for this adviceIf so, your guidance is greatly appreciated.

Mason3000

Aug 2, 2008
Don't mean to high-jack your thread Static but since it's the same topic I'm going to throw my hat in the right as well.

How much for the same maid Static described in his post, only in Santo Domingo? Also, how much does a live-in maid cost in the Capital?

All help appreciated.

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
www.azconatechnologies.com
For live in maids living in is considered part of their pay, so they actually make less. You can pay any amount you think will attract the kind of help you want, but don't pay too much or people will think they can take advantage of you.

I have heard of maids making up to 8,000 and that's what I pay mine, but this is very much on the high side.

I heard of a couple paying 10 but it was a bad experience overall for them. The maid thought she had some real suckers who threw money around for no reason and became very spoiled.

I would suggest offering 6, 4 or 5 for a live-in.

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
I am in Santiago and I pay mine 5,000RD per month and she is only part time. That is a little on the high side...I would guess 6,000RD for a full-time (non live-in). But I'm not an expert, I tend to overpay due to lack of experience and knowledge in these areas.
SHALENA
LA PRIETA RABIOSA

london777

Bronze
Dec 22, 2005
These sorts of threads are very useful. The more we have, the more accurately the "average" picture is filled in, but please always specify the period of time and hours per day where relevant. I remember an acquaintance who thought he had struck a good deal to pay RD$XXXX per month only to find that the prospective employee had optimistically assumed he was offering that sum per quincera.

sunshine73

Apr 5, 2006
American do tend to overpay

It all depends on you way you do business. Maids make minimum wage unless they work for "gringos". Minimum wage is 4500 a month. You can start low which is my sugestion and you explain to that person that you will be observing what they do. Remember your maid will have to adjust to your ways. So start with a low salary and increase as you see things are being done correctly and she's not stealing. (It happens all the time)

Get lots of references if possible and do not leave her alone at first.

sunshine

sunshine73

Apr 5, 2006
This is a suggestion for a live-in in the capital. I would stop at $5,500 light washing (washer/dryer), cooking, cleaning, ironing and babysitting. Remember take into account double salary for december and "gifts". As the OP stated do not act/speak like you have excess money.

dos amigos

Oct 18, 2008
We are in Sosua and have a maid for one day a week. We pay her RD$400 for the day plus lunch and morning and afternoon breaks. She works 8am to 4pm with an hour for lunch.

Sanation

May 21, 2007
We are in SD and pay our maid RD$7,000 plus benefits. She works fulltime (7:30am -4:30pm Monday to Friday).

We made the mistake and paid too much to our last maid thinking that we would get someone good. In the end it was a disaster. We treated her too well and she took advantage.

Start low, and give pay rises as they prove themselves. Put in writing your expectations of them and have them sign it. We have had an on going issue with the current maid throwing things in the garbage (it's not useful to her, so why would we want it?!?!?!). As a result of this, we have included financial penalties in the event of things 'disappearing'. It seems to be working...

It is trial and error. Expect a high turn over rate until you find someone good. If they don't meet expectations, can them. We have invested much time thinking they will get better - they don't. It sounds ruthless, but it seems to be the way here.

Good luck!

Reactions: rellosk
Sep 19, 2005
at what point does the maid become an employee , that is due benefits and severance, as well as holidays and christmas pay????

I remember a thread here a few years ago about a guy who paid a gardener and found out he owed him a large sum iin severance when the guy left

bad bob

Sanation

May 21, 2007
at what point does the maid become an employee , that is due benefits and severance, as well as holidays and christmas pay????

I remember a thread here a few years ago about a guy who paid a gardener and found out he owed him a large sum iin severance when the guy left

bad bob

I'm going from memory here, but the Labor Code specifies that household staff, particularly Maids and Drivers are exempt from the Social Security Insurance regime (health & pension), but are entitled to severance.

The TSS website has a severance calculator and lots of useful information that is a must for anyone with household staff.

Tesorer?a de la Seguridad Social | T S S

Reactions: FernieBee

LaTeacher

Bronze
May 2, 2008
i had a maid who came twice a week, cooked and cleaned and ironed and i paid 1800 a month. i got hell from my dominican friends. too much, apparently. and she did take advantage. when i fired her, she hadn't ironed in two weeks and would wash our clothes and leave them hanging on the roof because "they didn't have enough time to dry" which meant she had been arriving WAY later than she was supposed to.

our dominican neighbors pay 3,200 for a 4 day a week maid and another neighbor pays 5,500 for a nanny/housekeeper (and even that is a bit much apparently).

i agree with the suggestion to start low and offer incentives.

Reactions: FernieBee

chola1978

Bronze
Mar 20, 2006
Cerro Don Antonio, I have 2 living rooms,4bedrooms, Back yard, 3 adults and a 3year old and a pupy.
I have had several mades in the last 3 years (4 in total)
the ones that lived here I paid 4500 plus transportation on the weekends.
The Ones that come to my house work Monday to Friday de 8-6pm I pay them 5,000 plus some contribution to transport.
Remeber that this workers will eat 3 times a day and in my case we bought her close, help out with her kids school supply and many other perks
so is not as much as a salary but in the whole package.
Word of advice do not get real young under 20 or real burn out over 50...try to stay i nthe mid 30's wil lhave less small kids to attend and still have the energy to do the duties contracted to do....
Ah and yes Mike is true be careful they don't take advantage of you...

Talldrink

El Mujeron
Jan 7, 2004
This reply is not about money, but just make it very clear that she is not to bring family members over to the house to 'visit' - She may be a good worker with iron-clad work ethics, but not the people she may allow into your home.