Whats the meaning of this DR saying?/ Que es el significado de esta frase Domicana?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MamasongaDeSandoval

Sep 15, 2008
"Ese negrito come coco"
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

What does that mean or what does it imply???

I'm not Dominican, so I'm not too familiar with this phrase, but hopefully it's nothing offensive. If it is, I apologize in advance.

Thank you!

???Que quiere decir o que implica???

No soy Dominicana, entonces no estoy muy familiarizada con la frase pero ojala no sea ofensiva. Y si lo es, mil disculpas.

Gracias!

JRMirador

Snap!
Oct 15, 2008
Las Lomas de Azua
It is a silly and innocuous put down, kind of in the category of....

Peter Peter pumpkin eater,
Had a wife and couldn't keep her,
He put her in a pumpkin shell,
And there he kept her very well.

Reidy620

Bronze
Mar 30, 2008
www.casaellie.com
"Ese negrito come coco"
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

What does that mean or what does it imply???

I'm not Dominican, so I'm not too familiar with this phrase, but hopefully it's nothing offensive. If it is, I apologize in advance.

Thank you!

???Que quiere decir o que implica???

No soy Dominicana, entonces no estoy muy familiarizada con la frase pero ojala no sea ofensiva. Y si lo es, mil disculpas.

Gracias!

"That negro eats coconut....I think

Regards

Reidy

Drake

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
It means that hes so poor that he lives off coconut. Sometimes its expressed as (Arroz) rice con cocco. Its almost a racist comment and is derogatory.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
It means that that person (doesn't really matter his skin color) does not amount to much. Goes with

"come l?gamo" or "come jaiba" expressions that denote low standing or laziness...

HB

MamasongaDeSandoval

Sep 15, 2008
It is a silly and innocuous put down, kind of in the category of....

Peter Peter pumpkin eater,
Had a wife and couldn't keep her,
He put her in a pumpkin shell,
And there he kept her very well.

Hmm... wow. Totally does not match what they told me about that phrase :ermm:
Thanks

MamasongaDeSandoval

Sep 15, 2008
It means that hes so poor that he lives off coconut. Sometimes its expressed as (Arroz) rice con cocco. Its almost a racist comment and is derogatory.

yeah it's pretty confusing. different ppl have their own interpretation or meaning behind it. i think i'm more confused now lol

MamasongaDeSandoval

Sep 15, 2008
It means that that person (doesn't really matter his skin color) does not amount to much. Goes with

"come l?gamo" or "come jaiba" expressions that denote low standing or laziness...

HB

Hmmm... I think your interpretation of it makes the most sense to me.

But,I still was told something waaay different. Everyone here says it's more along the lines of an insult. They told me it was a compliment as in....

"Oh, ese negrito esta gracioso o esta chulo"

Anyway, thanks for the responses to you and everybody else! They were interesting to read.

Norma Rosa

Bronze
Feb 20, 2007
I agree with those that say that it is a silly put down; the person does not amount to much. It is much like: You are a nobody. Sometimes people just call you: "Come coco." (Better than "come mierda.")
A compliment it is not.
(I should enter this one in the thread of silly insults Dominicans use.)

Status
Not open for further replies.