Reputation system, why isn't anyone screaming?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
I guess because it appears to be working :)

Since July 08, we have had 2,000+ instances of reputation being exchanged.

We have 42 posters on 100+ reputation points and 5 on 200+

Congratulations!

snowbird44

Oct 29, 2004

Congratulations!

Sorry, I havn't got a clue what you are talking about.

Reactions: jrhartley

Marianopolita

Former Spanish forum Mod 2010-2021
Dec 26, 2003
Silence is not an indicator IMO..

IMO, the silence does not indicate that it's working or not. It's quiet possible those who complained or voiced their opinion in the past are weary, no longer post or post less. I think there are still many quality posters who don't have the points to show for it if the points truly are used to signify its intended purpose. Quality posts and posters are consistent with their contributions on DR1 and that's what I use as an indicator of a quality poster. Some people post all day long, some once a day or once a week therefore, it's really not logical to use the system exclusively to determine who the quality posters are with consistent valuable contributions. I go by the quality of a person's post on a regular basis whether a poster has ten points or three hundred, the posts always speak for themselves.

-LDG.

Last edited:

montreal

Bronze
Apr 17, 2006
IMO, the silence does not indicate that it's working or not. It's quiet possible those who complained or voiced their opinion in the past are weary, no longer post or post less. I think there are still many quality posters who don't have the points to show for it if the points truly are used to signify its intended purpose. Quality posts and posters are consistent with their contributions on DR1 and that what I use as indicator of a quality poster. Some people post all day long, some once a day or once a week therefore, it's really not logical to use the system exclusively to determine who the quality posters are with consistent valuable contributions. I go by the quality of a person's post on a regular basis whether a poster has ten points or three hundred, the posts always speak for themselves.

-LDG.

As usual Lesley, wonderful post! I am in complete agreement with you. As a regular poster, I wonder how some others have so many rep points (I have scratched my head a few times on that one).

You're posts are pleasure to read ;)

A

apostropheman

Screaming...what would be the point?

Congratulations!
It was made very clear that no changes would be made based on the opinions or complaints of mere member and that those that chose to speak out would be punished....or words to that affect.

No reputation system is perfect and a one sided one is even less so...not that I'm complaining. :cheeky::bunny::bunny:

Reactions: jrhartley
Sep 19, 2005

Congratulations!

all those big reputation guys must have aquired all their points on the Presidential race thread.....all those feaking bleading heart liberals patting each other on the back ha ha ha ha ha back and forth...

gee what is that swirling sound??

hope it isnt all my points going down the drain ha ha ha ha

bad bad bob

Chas10

Jun 18, 2004
Sorry if I asking this question in th wrong area, I'm new to DR1. A translation question, a friend wrote "FELIZ DE SER TAN BESHA!!!!" I cannot figure out what "besha" means (in English) Any ideas?

Thanks

sollie

Jul 30, 2006
I wonder?

Congratulations!

There's no screaming because you placated the crybabies. :bunny:

As for the rest of your post ... attaboy. A kindler, gentler DR1.

A

apostropheman

Sorry if I asking this question in th wrong area, I'm new to DR1. A translation question, a friend wrote "FELIZ DE SER TAN BESHA!!!!" I cannot figure out what "besha" means (in English) Any ideas?

Thanks
If you'd care to check on the 2 threads you've already started on this subject you'll find that people have already responded.

http://www.dr1.com/forums/spanish-101/81943-translation-question-besha.html

http://www.dr1.com/forums/spanish-101/81940-translation-question-besha.html

There really is no need to indiscriminately post the same question all over the board and then not bother to return to your own threads to see the responses. ;):bunny::bunny:

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
It was made very clear that no changes would be made based on the opinions or complaints of mere member and that those that chose to speak out would be punished....or words to that affect.

No reputation system is perfect and a one sided one is even less so...not that I'm complaining. :cheeky::bunny::bunny:

Not true.

The reason it was changed, was due to the fact that many members emailed and sent us PM's complaining about the old system.

We don't make changes because we have nothing to do at DR1, we do it because the members have asked for it or we (DR1) feel it's a good idea.

This site has been built on members voicing their opinions or complaints.
But like anything, you need to follow the system and not act like a kid that is taking his ball home :)

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
IMO, the silence does not indicate that it's working or not. It's quiet possible those who complained or voiced their opinion in the past are weary, no longer post or post less. I think there are still many quality posters who don't have the points to show for it if the points truly are used to signify its intended purpose. Quality posts and posters are consistent with their contributions on DR1 and that's what I use as an indicator of a quality poster. Some people post all day long, some once a day or once a week therefore, it's really not logical to use the system exclusively to determine who the quality posters are with consistent valuable contributions. I go by the quality of a person's post on a regular basis whether a poster has ten points or three hundred, the posts always speak for themselves.

-LDG.

Very true.

The reputation system is just another resource to help you determine quality and reputable posters. More resources, usually equal a more informed decision :)

I'm just happy it's being used and being used for it's intended purpose.

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
Very true.

The reputation system is just another resource to help you determine quality and reputable posters. More resources, usually equal a more informed decision :)

I'm just happy it's being used and being used for it's intended purpose.

Very true Robert!

Now if we could just click on "that persons" yellow boxes and see what quality and reputable posters gave "that" poster his quality and reputable points.

Then we would perhaps have more faith in his quality and reputable points....

One good poster recommending,
.... is more valuable then 5 questionable/buddy posters recommending (Each other).

Such as, I would have more faith in HB's recommendations then of recommendations from some other posters.

14ddr36.gif
What the heck, I never look at the yellow boxes anyway when reading posts....
14ddr36.gif

(Thanks for bringing this subject back to the forefront so I could comment)

Don - SantiagoDR

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
One good poster recommending,
.... is more valuable then 5 questionable/buddy posters recommending

Don't forget, you can only pass points to the same member every 20th time.

Meaning.... You need to leave points for at least 19 other members before reputation points can pass to the same member again. You can post multiple comments in succession to the same member, but reputation is not passed.

This helps eliminate the buddy effect :)

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
What did the revamping of the rep system accomplish? It eliminated the nonconstructive, childish bickering and feuding that was plaguing the previous system.

Cyber-bullying is the apotheosis of this type of behavior, and I'm glad the system has evolved to better serve all DR1 members.

Last edited:
Mar 2, 2008
I certainly appreciate the elimination of negative points.

As Berzin points out, that type of negative environment was miserable for most people, and it could have easily devolved into a culture of bickering and hard feelings.

The positive points help to build a community based on mutual respect.

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
i forgot what you can buy with the points - was it a slogan to go under your name,
and how many was needed

Status
Not open for further replies.