Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Drivers licence

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Drivers licence

I am assuming that Drivers licenses in the Dr work like Canada, that thye expire after one year and you have to renew them in the month of your birthday. My question is is there any way that we can renew the license without going back to the DR. My husband does not have a Canadian license yet and his DR license expires in December. Any help would be appreciated

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Dominican driving licences last 4 years - the date of expiry is on the licence.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

ok so I thought it was after one year, but his expiry is Dec 2008, is there anything we can do, and one more thing do you know how much it costs to renew the licence

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Try an online application
    Formulario para la Renovación de Licencias o Carnet de Aprendizaje.

I last renewed mine in April/May 2007 - details & cost (850 pesos)on the thread I posted at the time
    http://www.dr1.com/forums/living/624...provement.html

I'm not sure how they handle the photo & fingerprints in an online application but it appears from the website that you can do it, so give it a try & let us know how you get on.

Here's the link to the main website in case you can't get back to it from the formulario.
    Bienvenidos a la DGTT

If the online application doesn't work out your husband could contact his consular representatives in Canada and enquire of them.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Canadian drivers licenses last for 5 years... at least in Ontario they do and I assume that is the case for most other provinces as well... Good luck with your husband's license.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

In Saskatchewan we renew our drivers licence's every year

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

wow! what a big pain in the butt!

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mart0417 View Post
    I am assuming that Drivers licenses in the Dr work like Canada, that thye expire after one year and you have to renew them in the month of your birthday. My question is is there any way that we can renew the license without going back to the DR. My husband does not have a Canadian license yet and his DR license expires in December. Any help would be appreciated
    You should check with Saskatchewan law regarding your husband foreign license. If he is a Canadian resident his D.R. driving license is probably good for 6 months. I think that if he applies for a Sas.. driving license before his D.R. one expires he won't have to do the test..

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mart0417 View Post
    In Saskatchewan we renew our drivers licence's every year
    Do you mean new picture.. or that you have to pay every year.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

in case your husbands license shows from the date when he got it til the expiration date just one year would mean he only has the 'licencia de apredicaje'(excuse my spelling please), the first one you get when you make your drivers license. that is the orange coloured one and valid for one year. within that year he has to show up (there are different spots, for my bavaro area it is la romana) with a copy of his cedula and a valid(not older than 90 days) 'certificado de buena conducta', so they give him his def/final/real drivers license, and that one has to be renewed every 4 years in the DR.
    against the assuming/guessing of some guys/expats/aso i had discussions about such lately, that orange one does not allow you to drive a car nor would any insurance in the DR need to cover any caused damage on such a ride, it just allows you to drive when a person with the def license is sitting on the passenger seat at your side, it is the 'learning/study' drivers license.
    wow, surprised to hear that you guys in canada have to renew that so often, some even every year, that's easier in europe, you make it once and have that for lifetime, no renewal needed. only exceptions are the licenses for the big trucks(renewal date is the date of your 50th birthday) and special licenses like transportation of dangerous goods aso, they need to be renewed often.
    but the simple license for driving a sinple car or motorbike are for lifetime.
    save and happy driving everybody
    Mike

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast