Drivers licence

mart0417

Oct 25, 2006
I am assuming that Drivers licenses in the Dr work like Canada, that thye expire after one year and you have to renew them in the month of your birthday. My question is is there any way that we can renew the license without going back to the DR. My husband does not have a Canadian license yet and his DR license expires in December. Any help would be appreciated

mart0417

Oct 25, 2006
ok so I thought it was after one year, but his expiry is Dec 2008, is there anything we can do, and one more thing do you know how much it costs to renew the licence

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Try an online application
Formulario para la Renovaci?n de Licencias o Carnet de Aprendizaje.

I last renewed mine in April/May 2007 - details & cost (850 pesos)on the thread I posted at the time
http://www.dr1.com/forums/living/62487-renewing-dr-driving-licence-vast-improvement.html

I'm not sure how they handle the photo & fingerprints in an online application but it appears from the website that you can do it, so give it a try & let us know how you get on.

Here's the link to the main website in case you can't get back to it from the formulario.
Bienvenidos a la DGTT

If the online application doesn't work out your husband could contact his consular representatives in Canada and enquire of them.

tink23

Jul 15, 2008
Canadian drivers licenses last for 5 years... at least in Ontario they do and I assume that is the case for most other provinces as well... Good luck with your husband's license.

La Mariposa

Bronze
Jun 4, 2004
I am assuming that Drivers licenses in the Dr work like Canada, that thye expire after one year and you have to renew them in the month of your birthday. My question is is there any way that we can renew the license without going back to the DR. My husband does not have a Canadian license yet and his DR license expires in December. Any help would be appreciated

You should check with Saskatchewan law regarding your husband foreign license. If he is a Canadian resident his D.R. driving license is probably good for 6 months. I think that if he applies for a Sas.. driving license before his D.R. one expires he won't have to do the test..

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
in case your husbands license shows from the date when he got it til the expiration date just one year would mean he only has the 'licencia de apredicaje'(excuse my spelling please), the first one you get when you make your drivers license. that is the orange coloured one and valid for one year. within that year he has to show up (there are different spots, for my bavaro area it is la romana) with a copy of his cedula and a valid(not older than 90 days) 'certificado de buena conducta', so they give him his def/final/real drivers license, and that one has to be renewed every 4 years in the DR.
against the assuming/guessing of some guys/expats/aso i had discussions about such lately, that orange one does not allow you to drive a car nor would any insurance in the DR need to cover any caused damage on such a ride, it just allows you to drive when a person with the def license is sitting on the passenger seat at your side, it is the 'learning/study' drivers license.
wow, surprised to hear that you guys in canada have to renew that so often, some even every year, that's easier in europe, you make it once and have that for lifetime, no renewal needed. only exceptions are the licenses for the big trucks(renewal date is the date of your 50th birthday) and special licenses like transportation of dangerous goods aso, they need to be renewed often.
but the simple license for driving a sinple car or motorbike are for lifetime.
save and happy driving everybody
Mike

morlandg

Feb 20, 2007
"....that's easier in europe, you make it once and have that for lifetime, no renewal needed"....

In Spain it is valid for 5 years and renewal requires a medical.

granca

Bronze
Aug 20, 2007
One small correction Mike. UK driving licences are only valid to age 70 and then can be renewed. I think for 5 years BUT this cannot be done unless you can sign a document confirming that you live in the UK. Penalty for falsehood GBP1000. I now have a RD licence but it is only valid for 3 years.

La Mariposa

Bronze
Jun 4, 2004
Have a look at: Driver?s Licences | New Residents

Driver?s Licence ? New Residents
New residents who wish to drive in Saskatchewan must obtain a Saskatchewan driver's licence within 90 days of moving to the province, or upon expiry of their out-of-province licence ? whichever is earliest. Check with your previous jurisdiction as they may have some restrictions that supersede this requirement.

If you are moving from another Canadian jurisdiction, the United States, the United Kingdom, Switzerland, South Korea, Germany or Austria, and you hold a valid driver's licence there, you can apply for a Saskatchewan driver's licence at any Saskatchewan motor licence issuing office. You will be required to surrender your out-of-province driver's licence at the time you apply for a Saskatchewan driver's licence, and you will be required to pay applicable driver's licence fees.

You will be considered a new driver unless you can prove more than two years driving experience (other than as a learner) in your previous jurisdiction. If you are deemed to be a new driver, you will be entered into the appropriate stage of Graduated Driver?s Licensing which is determined by the length of your driving experience from your previous jurisdiction. You must provide proof in the form of a driver abstract or driving record.

If you are moving from a jurisdiction outside Canada, the United States, the United Kingdom, Switzerland, South Korea, Germany and Austria, you will have to complete written, vision and road examinations prior to being issued a Saskatchewan driver's licence.

Regardless of driving experience, drivers entering Saskatchewan from outside of Canada, the United States, the United Kingdom, Switzerland, South Korea, Germany and Austria will be eligible only for a graduated driver's licence.

mart0417

Oct 25, 2006
My husband has to take the road test and the written test here in Saskatchewan before he can get his licence then every year in the month of your birthday you renew your licence. If he fails the written or the road test he has to take classes and driver instruction and would be a whole drawn out process for over a year. And right now in Sask. we have snow and ice which my hubby is not at all used too, so I think if he went for his road test he would have some troubles plus we have way more road sign and warnings than the DR. And I have driven in the DR ...LOL .. not quite the same as here !!!!! I want him to suceed the first time so we don't have to go through all the hassle.

I think some of you may have been confused on my posts, we do not have to take the written or raod test every year jsut renew our licences for a cost, unless you have majoy traffic violations or medical issue or age, they are kind of strict here.

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
sorry for my mistake above about the epiring dates.
i wrote 'european', but i meant 'german'.
even within the european union the regulations are of course not alwys the same in every members territory.
Mike