32" TV Duty (Con't)

angus murray

Sep 29, 2008
I flew PAP-JBQ 2 wks ago and asked a customs human there about duty on TV's. He confirmed what other customs types have said at SDQ: NO DUTY ON TV'S UNDER 32 INCHES. Can be in a box, not in a box, carried loose, in a carry on, etc-makes no difference. Some previous posters have speculated that packaging is a determinant of duty, so I mention this. This fellow also said that there is a book available to the public at the customs HQ on Abraham Lincoln spelling out all the tariffs on imported goods. I wanted to drive my 96 Tracker from Haiti into the DR for short visits but cannot-there is an age restriction on imported vehicles (which I've not seen mentioned on the forum). I think he said 4 model yrs is the limit.

track

Sep 6, 2008
NO DUTY ON TV'S UNDER 32 INCHES.

I'm not an expert, but I think you might want to check, check, check on that. I don't think nothing is free in DR and If it's free, then their is a catch on it and it will cost more than expected

Castellamonte

Bronze
Mar 3, 2005
Cabrera
www.villa-castellamonte.com
There is no duty until around January 6th. This is because of the Christmas "break" the customs dept provides to people bringing in presents. Other than that, you will pay a fee calculated on the ratio of happiness of the customs agent to your apparent ability to pay ;-)

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
On the Christmas "tax break": I assume this is for all Dominicans, whether visiting abroad or living abroad if they return to the DR during the time period, correct? And this is only for Dominicans, not foreigners?

As for the 32" TV rule...this is still intriguing. Besides the book mentioned above, I assume what is and isn't taxed is on a website somewhere...anyone have a clue?

snowbird44

Oct 29, 2004
I guess we were extremely lucky.
We arrived yesterday at POP airport for the next 5 months and had a 32" TV with our luggage. I had made a special cover for the box to make them think it was a suitcase, but it still looked kind of boxy and they spotted it immediately as we were trying to get out with two carts full of suitcases, box and pets.
To make a long story short, they made us open the cover, but my husband had said right away that it was a Television. I mentioned that it was for our apartment in Cabarete and then he asked when we had left the DR the last time. With my Passport full of arrival and departure stamps, finding the last departure in May and consulting with a Supervisor they waved us through.
I think it also helped to be honest, friendly and speaking enough Spanish to communicate. No "regalo" needed.
And then again, maybe the Christmas amnesty has been applied to foreigners too.(We arrived from Canada)
BTW, what's with the new customs forms?