All Dominicans please respond

K

Key

hola, I've been wanting to come to visit Dominican Republic for the longest. My dad is Dominican and my mom is black. Right now I'm in college but I look forward to coming to Santo Domingo in the summer. Is there anything that you (dominicans) can tell me about before I come. Oh yeah I am 20 years old, if it matters. Also I can speak only a little Spanish, enough to get me by. But I want to learn more but the Spanish they teach in school is nothing like the way Dominicans speak it. I need help!!

N

Natasha

Key, the website that Susan suggests is very useful. Learn as much Spanish as you can before this summer. I was born in a southern province, but grew up in and around the capital for most of my life - though I don't consider myself a Capitale?a. Basically, Sto. Dgo. is a lot of fun. As a 20 year-old you won't have any problems finding fun places - dance clubs, theatres, museums, good restaurants, and other attractions - whatever you prefer. But Sto. Dgo. is also a large city [I believe the largest in the Caribbean] and as such, you will also find crime, pollution, noise, people trying to make a fast peso, you know, what you will find in many other places. Use your common sense...don't flash jewlery around and stick to the safer areas of the city. I would spend some time in the Colonial Zone if I were you. You will get to learn a lot of the history of the country where your dad is from. I wouldn't drive in the DR if I were you also, specially if one is not used to driving down there.

I would suggest sticking around this board and asking as many questions as you want. There are many well-imformed people here about Sto. Dgo. and the DR in general. Some (non-Dominicans) even travel to my country more often than I do myself, so they are a wealth of knowledge. Hope this helps.

Regards,
Natasha

T

Tito

Just go and have a good time. People, including relatives, will look at you funny at first, but they'll warm up quickly and I bet you cousins and/or other younger relatives your age will be more than happy to take you out around town. That was my experience.

A

alinpositivo

before you go make sure you will have companion once you be there
it may be dangerous for you to walk around by yourself with an acent speaking spanish., the way i see you just need a good friend who of course is dominican, and hang out with him as much as you can ...