Help! Still having connection problems with Mac

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
As readers of this thread will remember, I've been having problems with my connection that only affect my laptop, none of the other laptops connecting to my wi-fi network, but the problem disappears when I go elsewhere and connect using another wi-fi network. I've tried to check all the settings on the laptop and there is one big problem. In Network settings, I get an error message that says "your network settings have been changed by another application" and I can't make any changes to Network settings, and have to force quit to close Network settings.

In the Geeks and Boffins thread, one poster (wight-boy) wrote:
Are you running 10.4.11? There is a looping bug bug that is to do with security update 2008-006. It came out yesterday. This creates the "your network settings have been changed by another application message. Can you get rid of it?
This was back in September. I've PMed him to ask him how to get rid of that security update to see if it gets rid of the Network settings looping error message, but have received no reply, probably because he is a very occasional poster.

So, I wonder if one of our regulars who knows about Macs can help me do this. The problem has become almost permanent: I can't access most sites (dr1 being a rare exception!). I no longer get the annoying and inexplicable "openDNS site blocked by Melmac networks" error message - it just times out on all attempts to connect to most news sites, search engines, hotmail, Gmail, yahoo, educational sites, photo-sharing, you name it.

Our service provider hasn't been able to help - they can't cope with anything to do with Macintosh, apparently, so I'm making this last-ditch desperate appeal for help.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Try this...

Clear out all your wireless network settings and re-boot.

1) Turn off your Airport. Do this via the icon in the top tool bar.
2) Go into you Mac hard disk and delete the "com.apple.airport.preferences"
This file is located at "Library > Preferences > SystemConfiguration > com.apple.airport.preferences".

3) Delete it from the trash can.

4) Restart your Mac and turn on the Airport.

Wait and see what networks it finds and see if you can connect.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Just to be absolutely sure - I clear out wireless settings, reboot and then follow those steps? If so, how do I clear out wireless settings?

track

Sep 6, 2008
Are you using security on the AP?
... If the yes, which one ( WEP, WAP, WPA-PSK ... )
What AP do you have?
How many connections on the AP?
... Do you have MAC filters on the AP?
Is this a MAC Book?
Have you tested the case on the same spot with another computer?
Have you updated the MAC OS X? ( New updates, yesterday 11/22/2008)

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Did you delete the file?

If you look in your network settings, Airport > Advanced. How many wireless networks do you see?

Trying to diagnose without seeing the actual problem, is always a little difficult.

Try this...

Delete the 4 files below, they are all located at, same place as in my previous post. Make sure you empty the trash can before restarting. This will erase all your network settings and give you a clean start.

Library > Preferences > SystemConfiguration

com.apple.airport.preferences.plist
com.apple.nat.plist
NetworkInterfaces.plist
preferences.plist

Give me a call on my cell if your still stuck.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
In reply to track:

Let's see.

This is an iBook G4
OS X 10.4.11
Only one connection (network) appears on the AP (is that what you mean?) two laptops are using the connection.
The AP is currently open, unfortunately I lost the WEP password protected settings when I restarted the wireless modem in an attempt to clear the problem, and I don't know how to re-establish them. Don't know about filters.
Haven't been able to connect to any recent updates because of the connection problem.
None of the other computers using this network are affected, and mine connects normally to all sites when I move to another network away from home.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Are you using security on the AP?
... If the yes, which one ( WEP, WAP, WPA-PSK ... )
What AP do you have?
How many connections on the AP?
... Do you have MAC filters on the AP?
Is this a MAC Book?
Have you tested the case on the same spot with another computer?
Have you updated the MAC OS X? ( New updates, yesterday 11/22/2008)

You need to keep it KISS.

The problem is specific to her MacBook, not the AirPort or network. It's a known bug caused by update "Security Update 2008-006 for OS X 10.4.11".

Reactions: Chirimoya

track

Sep 6, 2008
Try what robert is asking first.

If the AP is OPEN, then you don't need a password to get in the AP. The problem could be that you have the iBook with a password.

Try to connect direct to the ethernet cable to do the update.

My best bet is you have a bad configuration.

If you want to start from the begining then, Change the SSID on the AP. You will probably see a new item in the iBook add it with no key.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Robert's advice seems to have worked. I am hugely grateful.

I will be making the appropriate thanksgiving offerings to the Mac gods. :) A Presidente or two for Robert on his next visit.

That's two problems DR1 has helped me with in the space of a few hours. I'm seeing the acupuncturist on Monday morning. :)

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
Get a PC.

(Sorry, couldn't help myself...;))

While you're at it, hire an IT gal to

1) restore the network every 15 minutes
2) debug badly written/poorly integrated software
3) deal with the constant virus/spyware/junkware your PC is constantly assaulted with
4) get all your hardware and software to keep talking to each other
5) whisper in your ear "you shoulda got a Mac."
:glasses:

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
As the problem has been solved, I'm closing this - and I hope I won't have to reopen it.
Mod's privilege ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.