Officialy certify my birth certificate.

mezclado

Nov 1, 2008
O.K. I brought my birth certificate with me so i can get a temporary residency.

1). How do i get it legally translated into spanish ?

2). How do i get it legally certified by the Dominican immigration ?

Because i am now reading that one can only do that at the Dominican consulate in ones home country before one arrives in the Republic ?

And please don't give me answers like go to a lawyer and find out, or try to promote a certain Law-firm, i just want to hear from personal experiences of people who brought over a birth certificate and had it legally translated and certified for Dominican residency without having to send it back to their home-land, and yet still ended-up getting temporary-residency without certifying it at the Dominican consulate that's in their home-land.

Thanks to all.

Last edited:

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004

Because i am now reading that one can only do that at the Dominican consulate in ones home country before one arrives in the Republic ?

And don't give me answers like go to a lawyer and find out, or try to promote a certain Law-firm, i want to hear from personal experiences of people who brought over a birth certificate and had it legally translated and certified for Dominican residency without having to send it to their home-land.
Forgive me, but do a search on DR1. The answer is there.

mezclado

Nov 1, 2008
Forgive me, but do a search on DR1. The answer is there.

This is what you have to offer me ??

I am paying $5 u.s. an hour for internet and you want me to read all of this site until i reach exactly what i need ?

If you don't have the answer yourself then why are you typing in my thread ?

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
This is what you have to offer me ??
Yep

mezclado said:
I am paying $5 u.s. an hour for internet and you want me to read all of this site until i reach exactly what i need ?
Yep. That's how it works.

mezclado said:
If you don't have the answer yourself then why are you typing in my thread ?
I have the answer and have posted about it specifically on this forum not too long ago.

Besides, if you're too cheap to spend $5 an hour to find the answer, you're really not gonna like the answer.

Reactions: Tamborista

mezclado

Nov 1, 2008
Let's give him a break... it takes a learning curve to be proficient in searches on DR1

http://www.dr1.com/forums/legal/80654-translation-legalization-us-birth-certificate.html

How is that site going to help anyone who is not North-American or even West-European ?

Is there nothing that can be done within the D.R. ?

Birth certificates can't be certified by your own consulate and sent to the secretariat in Santo-Domingo ?

One has to return to his homeland for these things ?

mezclado

Nov 1, 2008
How is that site going to help anyone who is not North-American or even West-European ?

Is there nothing that can be done within the D.R. ?

Birth certificates can't be certified by your own consulate and sent to the secretariat in Santo-Domingo ?

One has to return to his homeland for these things ?

Forget-it, Why do i even bother posting on this forum, spending my time and money, it's obvious this is a Gringo supremacist forum, "Outsiders need not apply".

Good-bye forever.

redonion

Apr 25, 2008
travel.kenharrington.com
And please don't give me answers like go to a lawyer and find out, or try to promote a certain Law-firm, i just want to hear from personal experiences of people who brought over a birth certificate and had it legally translated and certified for Dominican residency without having to send it back to their home-land, and yet still ended-up getting temporary-residency without certifying it at the Dominican consulate that's in their home-land.

My personal experience. I did just as you. Brought my birth certificate down expecting to get my temporary-residency. I was going to do it myself. I'm half way intelligent, and have half a brain. I ran into dead end after dead end. I followed up on every lead. Every lead from "this lawyer can help you", to "I have a nephew that works in immigration". Along with everything in between. Every single lead fell threw.

I tried every avenue you can think of to get my birth certificate legalized down here. And it just wasn't going to happen. This was last September. I contacted every single reference, to ever single lawyer on this board. And not one could help me. Their only advice was I was SOL. They advised me to send my birth certificate back to the USA, to a Dominican consulate there, then have it sent back here to the DR. BTW, all the lawyers I contacted were via email, via phone, and in some cases, in person.

I called, and emailed every single Dominican consulate in the USA multiple times. 80% of them have phones that don't work, voice mail systems that go into a loop, or numbers that are disconnected. About the same percentage of emails bounced back. The rest went unanswered.

I was finally able to get through to two consulates. One in Chicago, and one in Florida. Coupled with the cost of mailing to and from the States, in addition to the legalization fees charged by the consulate, the cost was close to, or over $200 to get my Birth Certificate legalized. And once it was legalized, there is no guarantee that anyone down here would accept it.

When in Rome do as the Romans do! It's cheaper, more economical, and more efficient to just pay someone off. You'll never do that, if you don't have the right connections. And obviously, I didn't have the the right connections. Finally, I found a lawyer that knew the right people to pay off. That's the secret. That's how it's done.

I submitted my paperwork, and got approval almost right away. I currently have my receipt from the Immigration department, and should get my provisional residency maybe this month, or for sure next.

As others may point out, I still don't have my provisional residency in hand. So I'm kind of reserved to share my story. Once I have my provisional residency in hand, I'll be glad to help anyone else who needs the help.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
I contacted every single reference, to ever single lawyer on this board.
You did not contact Fabio Guzman's firm. They would have told you straight as they did me.

I sent my BC back to the states, had it officially translated, notarized at the consulate and returned to me FedEx within two weeks and for around $190.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Finally, I found a lawyer that knew the right people to pay off. That's the secret. That's how it's done.

I submitted my paperwork, and got approval almost right away. I currently have my receipt from the Immigration department, and should get my provisional residency maybe this month, or for sure next.

As others may point out, I still don't have my provisional residency in hand. So I'm kind of reserved to share my story. Once I have my provisional residency in hand, I'll be glad to help anyone else who needs the help.

When you get it please check that you are in the computerised system. Receiving a card doesn't necessarily mean you are, particularly if someone was 'paid off', so please check.

travel1000

Jan 31, 2007
This is a problem for non us citizen living in US

The normal official proceedure is certified by Dominican Consular in birth certificate issuing country. Thus, It is not normally possible for dominican consular in US to certify foreign birth certificate because the document is not issued in the US.
My solution is make a copy of my birth certificate and staple on the top of the original birth certificate. Let a notary public certify it is true copy on the photo copy and go to secretary state to certify the notary signature. Than you can send it to Dominican Consular to certify signature of secretary of state. The final document is a stack paper with your original birth certificate and a big domincan consular seal on it.I get through the immigration with no problem. Of course, it is not correct strictly legal but who care. The immgration want to see the dominican consular stamp. If any body need help, I can help you go through an indiana notary.

Thanks to all.

redonion

Apr 25, 2008
travel.kenharrington.com
You did not contact Fabio Guzman's firm. They would have told you straight as they did me.

I sent my BC back to the states, had it officially translated, notarized at the consulate and returned to me FedEx within two weeks and for around $190.

Your kind of right. I did contact Guzman's firm directly. And yes they set me straight and told me exactly what they told you.

Basically, they said, as did everyone else, I was SOL and they couldn't help me unless I had my birth certificate legalized in the country where I was born.

So, being in the DR with a birth certificate that was not legalized, I was SOL. And I found out exactly what you did, it cost about $200 to send your birth certificate back to a consulate in the States to be legalized.

mezclado

Nov 1, 2008
The normal official proceedure is certified by Dominican Consular in birth certificate issuing country. Thus, It is not normally possible for dominican consular in US to certify foreign birth certificate because the document is not issued in the US.
My solution is make a copy of my birth certificate and staple on the top of the original birth certificate. Let a notary public certify it is true copy on the photo copy and go to secretary state to certify the notary signature. Than you can send it to Dominican Consular to certify signature of secretary of state. The final document is a stack paper with your original birth certificate and a big domincan consular seal on it.I get through the immigration with no problem. Of course, it is not correct strictly legal but who care. The immgration want to see the dominican consular stamp. If any body need help, I can help you go through an indiana notary.

Are you saying that even if i get from my countries consulate in Santo-Domingo an official birth certificate with the seal of my countries minister of exterior on it, i will still need to send it back to my country for the Dominican embassy to stamp it there ?

I don't get it.........

If i have a brand new birth certificate officialy stamped of my own country, why can't i send it straight to the immigration in Santo-Domingo to approve it, why do i still have to send it back to my birth country for the Dominican-Embassy there to approve it ?

Are birth certificates that are issued at the foreign consulates in Santo-Domingo considered less legitimate or something, that one has to have it authorized at a Dominican embassy abroad ?

And what is SOL ?

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
Are you saying that even if i get from my countries consulate in Santo-Domingo an official birth certificate with the seal of my countries minister of exterior on it, i will still need to send it back to my country for the Dominican embassy to stamp it there ?

I don't get it.........

If i have a brand new birth certificate officialy stamped of my own country, why can't i send it straight to the immigration in Santo-Domingo to approve it, why do i still have to send it back to my birth country for the Dominican-Embassy there to approve it ?
Yup.

Welcome to the DR. Things are different here.

BTW-you have to have it oficially translated before it goes to the Dominican Consulate in your country.

travel1000

Jan 31, 2007
This autentication process is international practice not only for Dominican republic

unless the country is member of CONVENTION ABOLISHING THE REQUIREMENT OF LEGALISATION FOR FOREIGN PUBLIC DOCUMENTS. Dominican is not member of this convention. Yes the seal of foreign minister has to be autenticated by dominican consular. If you are in US, you can use my method. If you are already in dominican republic, you can try to moroco consular or embassy to autenticate your paper and then go to dominican foreign minster to autenticate moroco embassy signature. I doubt morocoo embassy will do it because Embassy normally do not autenticate demestic document unless they give you some exception.

I don't get it.........

Are birth certificates that are issued at the foreign consulates in Santo-Domingo considered less legitimate or something, that one has to have it authorized at a Dominican embassy abroad ?

And what is SOL ?

Last edited:

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Yup.

Welcome to the DR. Things are different here.

BTW-you have to have it oficially translated before it goes to the Dominican Consulate in your country.

You're being most helpful to someone who has a) left

Good-bye forever.

& b) considers you a gringo supremacist (whatever that is)

Forget-it, Why do i even bother posting on this forum, spending my time and money, it's obvious this is a Gringo supremacist forum, "Outsiders need not apply".

Just in case you thought we hadn't noticed your long sufferance & good will, cobraboy :) .

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
You're being most helpful to someone who has a) left

& b) considers you a gringo supremacist (whatever that is)

Just in case you thought we hadn't noticed your long sufferance & good will, cobraboy :) .
Hey, US$5 an hour for innerweb access. He prolly needs to migrate to Monaco or Switzerland, some place where his $$$ goes further...