Recommendation

Bangorfrank

Nov 22, 2008
After several visits to the DR, we have decided to retire here.
We bought a house & moved in last month and have been doing
improvements & repairs and the inside is just about done.
We have a large yard, 1,000mts2 with beautiful trees but no large
palms. First we would like a recommendation for a good carpenter
to build a deck & gazebo. Second, the name of a reliable jardineria
that can supply mature trees and do some landscaping work.
We have a large fig tree near the pool that needs to be removed
but someone told us we need a permit to cut it down, is this true?
Any help with suggestions will be appreciated. BF

gamana

Apr 24, 2006
where do you live?

I would like to get some of your figs to plant the seeds. I'd love to have a fig tree...

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
After several visits to the DR, we have decided to retire here.
We bought a house & moved in last month and have been doing
improvements & repairs and the inside is just about done.
We have a large yard, 1,000mts2 with beautiful trees but no large
palms. First we would like a recommendation for a good carpenter
to build a deck & gazebo. Second, the name of a reliable jardineria
that can supply mature trees and do some landscaping work.
We have a large fig tree near the pool that needs to be removed
but someone told us we need a permit to cut it down, is this true?
Any help with suggestions will be appreciated. BF

As for the deck and gazebo, after what I've seen done around here, I'd get a book or two from Home Depot or Amazon (online) and do it myself. Yes, there must be some really capable deck builders around, as I've seen a few really good jobs around, but mostly only around the most expensive neighborhoods like Casa de Campo etc... which leads me to suspect that they may not be cheap.

I have build decks, pergolas and even a wooden bridge with my own hands... It can be done!

poolbridge1img5547smallkn8.jpg

A good place for wood and supplies, which has been suggested to me on THIS very Forum, is MADECO in Santo Domingo and the North exit of Santiago. I've visited them recently... they even have Ipe wood... which virtually won't rot.

It is also my understanding that a permit by Foresteria is required to cut down trees. But then, this is the DR... I would think that if it's in your back yard and you have a good relationship with your neighbors and "trim" it down bits by bits... you know... :bored: But that's illegal advise!

... J-D.

Reactions: FernieBee

johnny

Bronze
Feb 8, 2003
hausenland.com
Weeping fig, ficus benjamina is one of most common trees here in DR. you can find 3-4 feet plant for less than 2dlls in any jardineria. why to wait 3 months from seed to germinate, plus another 7-8 months to reach 3?.

To Mr. bangorfrank.
To cut in any tree in DR you need a permit from Foresta. it takes lot of bureaucratic papers, and is very difficult to get it. if they dont consider the tree can cause some damage to humans. they dont worry too much about damage to property. they will tell you just to prune some leaves.
Most people dont know, but, even for trasplant a small plant you need a permit. so, next time you take out a plant from you yard to carry in a truck to another house, be careful not to be caught for foresta. Stupid thought, but this is the law.

The ficus is a beatiful tree, but leaving unpruned, without control, their root grow extremely agressive and will damage even the foundation of the house.
the problem when is planted near pool, pipes, septic, cisterna, is that the ficus is a thirsty tree and their root can detect moisture from a distance, sending them to these areas. causing cracks and lot of damage.

The only way to control their root to grow. is to prune in a Topiary form. their root will grow just 3/4 wide of the top wide.

In case you want to kill the tree by yourself, it will takes time. you have to do some cut in the main roots and apply Round Up.
you have to do it several times if the tree is too old.
cut some branches and keep it in the property until get dry.
(none garbage truck will take it)
repeat the same process, and when you have just one trunk left. leave it until dye or cut it with a saw in small pieces.
hide those pieces in your property or throw it carefully in differents trips to an abandon area.

pm. to give you a help with the paper work if you decide to do it legal.

Sanation

May 21, 2007
where do you live?

I would like to get some of your figs to plant the seeds. I'd love to have a fig tree...

We are in the Capital and have a fig tree. PM me if you want it!

It was planted down the side of the house in a narrow area and is starting to take over. Still small but will become a problem if not removed. Lots of fruit, very sweet. The birds love it! Will be a shame to see it go, but there is no room for it.

Sanation

May 21, 2007
cut some branches and keep it in the property until get dry.
(none garbage truck will take it)
repeat the same process, and when you have just one trunk left. leave it until dye or cut it with a saw in small pieces.
hide those pieces in your property or throw it carefully in differents trips to an abandon area.

We had an old dead tree at our house in the capital. The trunk was at least 2 metres long. The garbage truck took it whole, no questions asked.

johnny

Bronze
Feb 8, 2003
hausenland.com
you were very lucky, the garbage truck is not suppose to carry any branchs or trunk from trees. in most cases you have to pay to a private truck. some of them do it, but others dont want to take a risk of a penalty that will be higher than what they charge.
Also, there is a different between a dead trunk and a trunk killed.

johnny

Bronze
Feb 8, 2003
hausenland.com
jd sauder,
it looks like you did a good job.
where did you get those italian cypres?
they are not suppose to be succesful here, but they grow well in some areas around the mountain. even in santo domingo.

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
jd sauder,
it looks like you did a good job.
where did you get those italian cypres?
they are not suppose to be succesful here, but they grow well in some areas around the mountain. even in santo domingo.

Thanks Johnny. the picture above is from the last project I completed in SPAIN.

The bridge was a challenge, as even the local carpenter refused to come up with an idea on how to build it... It reaches 6 meters. I made the supporting arched beams of various layers of wood glued and screwed together, bent on top of each other, one after the other. It's ROCK solid.
It was time consuming but the result rewarded the effort generously.

... J-D.

Bangorfrank

Nov 22, 2008
To squat, tjmurray, gamana 7 others.

Thanks for the info you supplied. We live in Arroyo Hondo.
I will contact him Monday. We hope he speaks some English
because our Spanish is still basic, but we will learn. Info about
trees is also appreciated but we will think about gazebo & deck.
Big thank you, BF

Last edited:

gamana

Apr 24, 2006
We are in the Capital and have a fig tree. PM me if you want it!

It was planted down the side of the house in a narrow area and is starting to take over. Still small but will become a problem if not removed. Lots of fruit, very sweet. The birds love it! Will be a shame to see it go, but there is no room for it.

I am confused now. Do you have a fig tree with the fig fruit or a ficus tree with those little balls/seeds?

johnny

Bronze
Feb 8, 2003
hausenland.com
I think, sanation is talking about Ficus benjamina (weeping fee) or Laurel in spanish. it has a red fruit. not edible
the tree with the fig fruits (higos, in spanish) is the Ficus Carica. edible.

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
I am confused now. Do you have a fig tree with the fig fruit or a ficus tree with those little balls/seeds?

A fig tree, with the edible fruits, like found so much in Spain, is PART of the ficus family, even thou it does not even remotely look like the decorative ficus shrubs and trees often found in the US and also here in the DR.
You can trim these guys down to almost the stem and they will grow again to be a fully green tree in less than a year.
Ficus trees LOVE water and they WILL find it, even if they have to shoot roots thru walls or lift a foundation. NOT something you want to have anywhere near a pool!
Besides that problem, they are nice to have, the don't need watering (they'll find it themselves) and the fruits are delicious but will attract bees and wasps when left to ripe.

... J-D.

Bangorfrank

Nov 22, 2008
Thanks to all for your kind suggestions. I did contact Sr. Hausen
& he came to our house, 10 minutes earlier than expected, something
rare in the DR. He knew our property as he did my neighbor's
garden and another in the same street. We went to see other work
he did in Cuesta Hermosa & Los Pinos. We were impressed with the
houses in that area as they are gated communities and have very
limited access. I had not imagined there were houses like these in
Santo Domingo that cost 5 million dlls & more. He told us there
were lots like these & bigger in Sosua. I would have to go back to
work for a while before I could buy one of these.
As for our yard he gave us some good ideas like building a jacuzzi
of Coralina stone rather than wood, we agree since wood in the
tropics need lots of care. He showed us how our garden would
look which got my wife excited and I am sure we will end up with a very nice garden, I will post pictures here when it's done.
The work will start in 3 weeks, meanwhile he's getting rid of the
poor grass & we'll replace it with Bermuda grass and took care
of the weeping fig tree. I am posting this in the US while I am
making arrangements to ship my car. dr1 is very good to get
SD news while away. BF

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
BF, I'm merging your reply with the original thread for the sake of clarity and continuity. :)

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
...good ideas like building a jacuzzi of Coralina stone rather than wood, we agree since wood in the tropics need lots of care. ...

Coralina and most of these porous light colored "stones" can turn black, catch allergies, humus and/or fungus when exposed to water excessive or humidity. They should also not be exposed to chlorine as it will deteriorate the stone.

If you used any of these stones make sure it has been impregnated with clear stone sealant. Some of the older sealants will make the stone look somewhat darker... just like it would always be "wet", other newer sealants can be found which are virtually unnoticeable but quite a bit more expensive. Porous stones have to be soaked with the sealant for best results. Caution: These sealants are extremely inflammable until dried out!

If you still want to consider wood... Ip?, a dark and extremely hard and even fire resistant tropical wood, is available at companies like Madeco in Santo Domingo. Ipe can be left in the dirt and will almost not rot. It is toxic and/or too hard to most pests... it will last a lifetime with little care.

... J-D.

johnny

Bronze
Feb 8, 2003
hausenland.com
jd sauder
I recommend mr bangor coralina stone for the deck and border of the jacussy NOT FOR THE JACUSSY. I think he missed the word deck.
you cant use coralina in jacussy because his porosity.
I prefer to use coralina in santo domingo rather than wood, because it requiere less maintenance. and I know most of my clients dont worry too much for maintenance.
there is a mine in juan dolio that supply me the best coralina in town. it has almost not porosity. i am a good customer, so I get the coralina to be for export.
for deck or jacussy top, also I recommend to polish. just be careful not to polish too much, because you dont want it to shine or looks like marble. also, you dont want it to slip. just give it a light polish.
I always use also a stone sealant from techni-seal, in evaristo morales. it?s mate, and leave the coralina with its natural look.
I use wood in deck, mostly in works in the mountain, jarabacoa, constanza, etc.
I have not try IPE yet, maybe because Tabebuia is my favorite tree. I think this is the most beautiful tree in the world. but I will give it a try someday.
I always use TEKA from Indomaca in deck. this is a very strong and water resistent wood. but need regular maintenance.
I will try to show you some pics of decks in coralina. they have very tropical looks.