Lyme disease in the DR?

dominicanrep

Apr 20, 2007
Hey guys,

are there ticks in the Dominican Republic that carry Lyme disease??

Can it be tested in any dominican laboratory?

I hope you can help me. THANKS.

peep2

Bronze
Oct 24, 2004
Lyme disease and the deer ticks that carry it are most prevelant in the United States in the northeast and upper midwest and in southeast Canada. There is also some limited occurance in northern California. The occurance of the disease outside those areas is usually in individuals who traveled in those areas. I don't think the climate of the D.R. is suitable for deer ticks.

TheHun

May 4, 2008
Lyme disease and the deer ticks that carry it are most prevelant in the United States in the northeast and upper midwest and in southeast Canada. There is also some limited occurance in northern California. The occurance of the disease outside those areas is usually in individuals who traveled in those areas. I don't think the climate of the D.R. is suitable for deer ticks.

The unfortunate thing is that there are no deers in the DR. :(
However there are many bloodsucking ticks. I have seen poor dogs with ticks bigger than a pea. Do they carry Lyme?? I have no idea.
I will ask a friend next time who works in a hospital.
(I still miss deer hunting- least till next season! :disappoin )

TheHun

mslib12

Apr 23, 2009
Hey guys,

are there ticks in the Dominican Republic that carry Lyme disease??

Can it be tested in any dominican laboratory?

I hope you can help me. THANKS.
How did you make out? Ive been told by a Lyme dr that sand fleas on the beaches are carrying it now. Go to the beach often.........they get it from ticks on birds & rodents too.

bendj

Sep 17, 2009
the answer is yes

i was in the domincan repulic between the 10th and 24 of august 2009. while on a jeep safari we stopped a a planation to see the fruits that grow. a friendly dog came and rested his head in my lap. the next day i found a tick on the back of my knee.

over the next few weeks a rash developed on my knee and spread out in a ring.

i had not heard of lymes disease untill i eventually went to the doctors and he diagnosed it as lymes and has prescribed a month long course of antibiotics

so i would say that you definitely can get lymes disease in the dominican republic.

Reactions: mountainannie

sylindr

Nov 29, 2007
lyme disease`

my canadian vet said yes so the dogs have both had shots for lyme disease

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
I have had Lymes and BELIEVE ME it is a SERIOUS disease. Got it the early 80s. I was very lucky to have a doc at the hospital where I first went who had trained in CT and knew the disease. I was on antibiotics for 3 MONTHS... barely had the energy for three hours a day... almost had to go on antibiotic drip.

So if indeed there WAS a diagnosis of LYMES coming from here .. We should ALL take it very seriously...

The deer tick is much smaller than a regular dog tick... do the research

but also be VERY careful with the CHILDREN when they come inside and wash them up and treat ANY SORT OF little red bite... then followed by flu symptoms and HIGH fever--- mine was 105!

It can be treated easily if it is caught quickly but after the rash and flu symptoms disappear, the stuff is IN your blood stream.... and then you do not know why you are sick..

Cuidase!!!!

sylindr

Nov 29, 2007
I was told. use antibiotic cream like polysporin when ever there was a bite, if it is early this should prevent further infection.

Black Dog

Bronze
May 29, 2009
I used to spend time on the moors and the ticks used to live on the ferns in areas frequented by deer so you don't need to be anywhere near a live animal to pick up Lymes

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
Who told you this?

I was told. use antibiotic cream like polysporin when ever there was a bite, if it is early this should prevent further infection.

I have never heard of this. Once the tick has bitten the infection is in your bloodstream. You need an injection.

Did you hear this from a US doctor who has had experience with LYMES?

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
LYMES is like malaria... in that it has to travel via a warm blood stream... from infected warm blood to infected warm blood.... so the live animals have to be there for the ticks to eat. Once the livestock is infected, then other ticks become infected.

sylindr

Nov 29, 2007
I have never heard of this. Once the tick has bitten the infection is in your bloodstream. You need an injection.

Did you hear this from a US doctor who has had experience with LYMES?

i am not sure, read it somewhere so just have done it... don't know if i have been bitten or not but any bites i just put that cream on.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
good first aid

i am not sure, read it somewhere so just have done it... don't know if i have been bitten or not but any bites i just put that cream on.

that is good first aid. When I lived in Haiti back in the end of the 70's I would spend a half hour on the porch cleaning any bite or cut with hydrogen peroxide and then neosporin.

I stayed healthy for my 9 months in the campo with no electricity and only intermittant running water.

BUT that was way before LYMES... we only had Maleria and Dengue then.

Now, it looks like the Insects are really in the defensive mode,

I don't blame them

WAY too many HUMANS.

Black Dog

Bronze
May 29, 2009
LYMES is like malaria... in that it has to travel via a warm blood stream... from infected warm blood to infected warm blood.... so the live animals have to be there for the ticks to eat. Once the livestock is infected, then other ticks become infected.

There do need to be live animals around for them to feed but, as with most ticks, they can come off of a host for periods of time.
I found these precautions on line

How do I avoid getting bitten by a tick?

The best way to protect yourself against Lyme disease and other tickborne illnesses is to avoid tick bites. This includes avoiding tick-infested areas. However, if you live in or visit wooded areas or areas with tall grass and weeds, follow these precautions against Lyme disease and other tickborne diseases like Rocky Mountain spotted fever, ehrlichiosis and tularemia:

Wear light-colored, protective clothing?long-sleeved shirts, long trousers, boots or sturdy shoes, and a head covering. Tuck trouser cuffs in socks. Tape the area where pants and socks meet so ticks cannot crawl under clothing.

Apply insect repellant containing 10 percent to 30 percent DEET primarily to clothes. Apply sparingly to exposed skin (do not spray directly to the face; spray the insect repellant onto hands and then apply to face. Avoid sensitive areas like the eyes, mouth and nasal membranes). Be sure to wash treated skin after coming indoors. Use repellents containing permethrin to treat clothes (especially pants, socks and shoes)?but not skin. Always follow label directions; do not misuse or overuse insect repellents. Always supervise children in the use of insect repellents.

Walk in the center of trails so weeds do not brush against you.

Check yourself, children and other family members every two to three hours for ticks. Most ticks seldom attach quickly and rarely transmit a tickborne disease until they have been attached for four or more hours. If your pets spend time outdoors, regularly check them for ticks, too.

Remove any tick promptly. Do not burn the tick with a match or cover it with petroleum jelly. Do not use bare hands. The best way to remove a tick is to grasp it with tweezers as close to the skin as possible and gently, but firmly, pull it straight out. Do not twist or jerk the tick. If tweezers are not available, grasp the tick with a piece of tissue or cloth or whatever can be used as a barrier between your fingers and the tick. If the mouthparts do break off, do not become alarmed; once the mouthparts are removed from the rest of the tick, the tick can no longer transmit the Lyme disease bacteria. If you want to have an intact tick identified, put it in a small vial of rubbing alcohol and contact your local health department for assistance.

Wash the bite area and your hands thoroughly with soap and water, and apply an antiseptic to the bite site.

Make sure the property around your home is unattractive to ticks. Keep your grass mowed and keep weeds cut.