Infant Travel

Vilma

Jan 2, 2008
I will be traveling to DR next month with my 5 week old baby and my 3 year old daughter. Any suggestions?? Should i be concerned about the food/water. I will be staying with my husbands family in villa mella. We will be there one month.

dominicanpapi

Dec 9, 2003
You should probably give the kids only bottled water to be on the safe side. As far as the food as long as its cooked right it should be fine.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
If the five-week old is breastfeeding, that makes it simpler.

If s/he is on formula, you will have to take all the sterilisation equipment, and if any of this depends on electricity I hope the place where you'll be staying has the necessary back-up. Otherwise take sterilising fluid and tank. Use the special purified water (Orbis?) to prepare the formula. It is available from supermarkets and colmados, in the baby products section. Normal 'botell?n' drinking water would have to be boiled first. Dominicans also use botell?n or previously boiled tap water to bath small babies (up to 6 months). I didn't know this and my son got giardia, probably from being bathed in normal tap water.

Is it your first time in the DR?

Vilma

Jan 2, 2008
NO, I was there in 2006 for 2 weeks and lost 6 lbs from the constant diarrhea that i got. I thought i was careful when i went but obviously not enouh. Thanks for the suggestions.

COROLLA24

Apr 11, 2004
community.webshots.com
NO, I was there in 2006 for 2 weeks and lost 6 lbs from the constant diarrhea that i got. I thought i was careful when i went but obviously not enouh. Thanks for the suggestions.

Was the diarrhea from a Hotel Food?
I have sent u an email regarding travelling with a infant, cause I did too.. it wasn't so bad at all..