What the hell is biting me?????

laurajane

Bronze
May 23, 2005
www.thecircusofdreams.com
Ok, So in the last few weeks i have had some bites, and all i can say is that they seem different from the normal mosquito bites. They are the size of a large mosquito bite but take forever to go away and itch like a ....well they itch alot! My house is very clean and we dont have any pets so fleas are out, and i know its not a flea bite. And when i do get biten it is causing a huge red rash around the area at first.

The only thing that worries me is that also in the last few weeks i have seen about ten very small centipeads around, They could almost be confused with a caterpillar at first take.

Ive been here for four years and never had bites like these, and it just seems a coincidence that these baby centipeads seem to have arrived around the time it all started. I am the only one that has gotten these bites though.

Anyone had or having similar problem?

A very itchy, scratchy laurajane :ermm:

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
Ok, So in the last few weeks i have had some bites, and all i can say is that they seem different from the normal mosquito bites. They are the size of a large mosquito bite but take forever to go away and itch like a ....well they itch alot! My house is very clean and we dont have any pets so fleas are out, and i know its not a flea bite. And when i do get biten it is causing a huge red rash around the area at first.

The only thing that worries me is that also in the last few weeks i have seen about ten very small centipeads around, They could almost be confused with a caterpillar at first take.

Ive been here for four years and never had bites like these, and it just seems a coincidence that these baby centipeads seem to have arrived around the time it all started. I am the only one that has gotten these bites though.

I have had similar problems and I highly reccomend going to the pharmacy and get some " dermobiotic" which is the best skin medication I have every seen.

This may be a spider bite which happened to me last Christmas and 4 months of listening to doctors and pharmacists recommendations nothing was resolved...still red and itchy and the size of approximately 2" in diameter.

A local girl who uses this regiously diagnosed me and 2 months latter it has finally vanished.

Dermobiotic......small tube with a consitency of petroleum jelly.

Cures all skin conditions !

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
Forgot to mention that you should also buy a small spray spritzer called " After Bite"
This stops all itching within 3 minutes. I buy mine at the little playero in Sosua across from PJ's.....the clove is the essential oil that stops the itching IMO as that is the most predominent smell when alpplied.

You will find it behind the cashier and next to the other insect remedies and it is about 3" high in a spritzer bottle

dos amigos

Oct 18, 2008

We have heard about the problem with centipedes can anyone desribe them or better still does anyone have a picture.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004

I'm with you, sister. Been there myself. Sounds like Mayes. Started a thread about the little devils, found this apt description about them: http://www.dr1.com/forums/650905-post14.html. A tine flying, rabid pirhana...:surprised

Nastiest little SOB's I've ever encountered. My advice: Orange Off, 20% DEET. We tried bug repellant with lower DEET levels, 7%, then 13%, then 17%, little impact. Seems the 20% did the trick. No more Mayes problems.

The bites take around 2 weeks to heal. DO NOT SCRATCH THEM, they become easily and badly infected.

Ceasar Garcia

Oct 1, 2008
Might be bed bugs. If so wash your sheets in very hot water. I even have taken my bed out side washed it sprayed clorox on it and, left in the sun for a few hours. No more bites. In Florida we have what we call NO-SEEUMS tiny bite like hell. The best thing for them and, mosquitoes is Skin So Soft by Avon. the origional bath formula. It is 100% natural Just use it like sun screen and, no more bites.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
The best thing for them and, mosquitoes is Skin So Soft by Avon. the origional bath formula. It is 100% natural Just use it like sun screen and, no more bites.
Doesn't work for Dominican mayes. Maybe 'skeeters, not mayes.

Ceasar Garcia

Oct 1, 2008
Oh yes, it does. I lived in Monte Cristi for 6 years and, they are bad there. That is all we used. Worked so good the local Avon girl starting stocking it.
It must be the bath oil and, the orig. formula. Not the spray.

heliace

On Vacation!
Mar 27, 2004
Different Mosquito???

I have the same problem every time I visit my novias family in Santiago and forget to use repellant. Different times of the year here in Sosua I have this problem as well. I am pretty sure it is a different type of mosquito that I and many others are very allergic to. The small mosquito common here in Sosua hardly affects me at all. The rains we have been getting lately do not help the situation either.:tired:

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
i think i had something similar which turned out not to be bites but bacteria that brought up the red marks - i was give B 33 anti bacterial wash and bactroban ointment (like vaseline) which you have to put on every spot which can be time consuming lol most were under my arms and on my back

ben jammin

Aug 3, 2007
had something last year like red bugs or as we call them chiggers that appeared only after and right before returning home. they lasted for at least two weeks or longer. if you put fingernail polish over the bites it suffocates the critters and they will not last so long. we use absorbin jr(for foot fungus) on the bites for immediate relief with the itching. i also assumed they were some sort of bed bug or creepy crawly as the biting bugs usually go away after a shorter time.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Don't rule out scabies, It does not matter how clean you are, you can catch them many ways.

Apply Permethrin 5% cream head to toe, hubby as well.

Permetrina al 5%

ELIMEX
Elimite

Ceasar Garcia

Oct 1, 2008
When you go diving FIRE CORAL can cause red a rash that itches. We use aceaton ( no spelled right ) car paint thinner. works great. Also try Raw Garlic it is a Natural topical Pain killer. Also known to keep the sankies away. ( lol )

laurajane

Bronze
May 23, 2005
www.thecircusofdreams.com
Thanks for the replies everyone,

I only have one bite right now, but damn its taking forever to go away. I dont think its bedbugs as we have just bought a brand new bed and mattress and i change the sheets every two days.

I bought a tiny tin of "Piquin" for 30 pesos as recommended by a friend for the itching but its the mark that wont go away and its right on my chest for all to see LOL!

Seems strange i have never encountered these bites before and that i seem to be the only one that has been bitten.

Cobraboy mentioned those tiny little black bugs, and i must admit i have seen a few around recently, So they maybe the culprit.

Thanks again x

blacklilah

Jan 25, 2008
Is there any way to prevent these bites? I am covered with them and they itch like nothing has ever itched before. I have tried every single ointment I brought with me from the US, nothing has helped, tried local stuff, tried After-Bite and it did nothing, tried Desitin, which was recommended by the pharmacist.

Will try Dermobiotic tomorrow. Is there any thing that will prevent these bites in the first place? I am one of those people that just gets bit, my husband has no bites and we occupy the same space most of the time.

I have tried Deet, 151 Rum, not eating bananas, which are the things I was told that can prevent them. As I said, I am covered in red itchy bites.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Is there any way to prevent these bites? I am covered with them and they itch like nothing has ever itched before. I have tried every single ointment I brought with me from the US, nothing has helped, tried local stuff, tried After-Bite and it did nothing, tried Desitin, which was recommended by the pharmacist.

Will try Dermobiotic tomorrow. Is there any thing that will prevent these bites in the first place? I am one of those people that just gets bit, my husband has no bites and we occupy the same space most of the time.

I have tried Deet, 151 Rum, not eating bananas, which are the things I was told that can prevent them. As I said, I am covered in red itchy bites.

Try TOOTHPASTE, really.

bill p

Aug 18, 2003
had the same problem when i was there in oct. it was mites, scabies. used that exact cream , permethrin. all things good now.they love dusty places, and boy dont they itch.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004

Orange Off will dfinitely keep mayes away. Seems that 20% DEET is the magic number.

Ice applied directly also helps quell itching. But no matter what, DO NOT SCRATCH!!!!! The become very easily infected, I mean a nasty, pustule staph-like infection. They take 2 weeks to disappera, but leave behind a purple dot for a while.