diving DR Worthwhile????

palawan

Jul 23, 2008
diving DR Worthwhile????

Normally i go east for christmas from the UK to thailand, phillipines, indonesia etc. and have got 50+ dives in the log book. This year im going to the dominican republic for 2 weeks. I just debating whether its worth while taking my dive gear with me. Will it be a disappointment or a worthwhile 3 or 4 days out of my trip.

Cheers

Mark

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
YOu have posted this elsewhere as well. I repsonded to the other post.
YOu will get a better response if you only post in one section

Bob K

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
Diving in Catalina island is worth doing - the wall and the aquarium. There are also some good wrecks off the south coast.

Matilda

mido

Bronze
May 18, 2002
If you are used to dive sites in the areas you mentioned in your original post then Dominican Republic has nothing to offer to you in terms of diving.

It is still worthwile to come here and spent an excellent vacation.

palawan

Jul 23, 2008
bob k thanks for the response

but i dont see the problem in cross posting as i cant see how increasing the chances of the right people answering a post would be a problem. But I geuss thats just My Humble Opinion. And as the adage says opinions are like ..................

tht

Master of my own fate.
Oct 10, 2002
Planet Earth
Whether it's worthwhile or not I guess depends on why you're diving, but with 50+ dives there's plenty to do in the ocean. Here's a shot I did a few weeks ago off the coast of Guayacanes.

I00008f3u_NfxOX8

Gorgonian Sea Fan at around 60 ft. Can't do anything with the bubbles.

Here's another shot I posted on another thread where I accidentally broke the link.

I0000d2euCJB3Rv4

Cluster of Brown Rope Sponges. Interesting formations deeper than most divers go. No dive shop will guide you to any of these places.

Copyrighted material do not steal. No copyright violations here both images copyrighted by myself and posted on DR1 by myself.

Ceasar Garcia

Oct 1, 2008
But, where there any FISH to SHOOT ? Being born and raised in florida. I am a hunter. I only dive to shoot fish. Never anymore than for the dinner table. No under size fish or lobsters on my boat. Un-like the locals here. There are LAWS on the books to protect the fish, and lobsters. But nobody enforces the LAW Go figure. That is why there is nothing to HUNT.

tht

Master of my own fate.
Oct 10, 2002
Planet Earth
Here's one..

I0000VcbH7NvdhqQ

I've been diving on the south coast since -95, five grand up front and I give you the coordinates.. no ten, not five.. ten grand and the coordinates are yours.

Ceasar Garcia

Oct 1, 2008
No thanks, getting to old to dive anymore. Plus my boat is in Boca Chica. But you are welcome to come fishing with me anytime you wish.

peep2

Bronze
Oct 24, 2004
My personal opinion is that the diving is nothing to write home about and it has deteriorated over the years. You will probably have had enough after one or two dives. That being the case, instead of lugging dive equipment around, just rent the stuff here. I have found the equipment well used but in good repair and widely available.

tht

Master of my own fate.
Oct 10, 2002
Planet Earth
Here's an idea. Instead of carrying your equipment to the DR to dive Dominican waters go to Grand Cayman, leave all your equipment at home rent a snorkel and dive Stingray City, 12 ft and tame Stingrays accustomed to hard boiled egg and banana from the supermarket.

Good luck, over and out.

(I'm posting these images once more but I promise I'm not going to do it again).

2941519243_429cbaa824.jpg

Lobster, 15 min from the beach no hotel diveshop nearby.

2942419396_e259d7d98b.jpg

Stingray from the south coast of the DR, not from Stingray City.

2949816410_dda063a5a5.jpg

Brown ropesponges, not pretty perhaps but interesting from a marine biological viewpoint.

Copyrighted material, do not steal.
Copyrighted by myself and posted on DR1 by myself. DR1 will not be taken to court for copyright violations. Do not worry.

Last edited: