Outstanding Eatery in Rio San Juan

Status
Not open for further replies.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
We lunched once again at Cafe de Paris in Rio San Juan, right across from Laguna Gri Gri, last Friday. Between the tours and personal travels in the area, it's prolly the 12th time we've eaten there. And every visit, it just gets better.

Marco, the owner, does an excellent job. It's not typical Dominican fare. He adds a touch of French creativity to his dishes. The last stop was grilled pollo with an amazing white spicy wine sauce, stewed mixed vegetables a la Criolla in a yummy sauce, green salad, and molded white rice, all served handsomely on tasteful, stylish square glass plates. I had a strawberry jam crepe for desert, excellent. There is a pic of a dish on our blog, Dominican Republic Tours.

He recently fully remodeled what was a nice place before, but with added style and color. Really nice place.

We just call in advance, and ask him to do something special, and he brings out a yummy surprise, all very reasonably priced.

In a country where Dominican eateries seem to resemble each other, this is a definite "gotta try" place. And to be in an off-the-main-road spot is a nice find.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Nice find!

I'm finding it a little hard to follow your blog :(

I would remove the "Posted via Pixelpipe." in the post headlines.
It makes it hard to see what the posts are about in the right hand side column.

I could not find the pic you posted of "Cafe de Paris".

Tor

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Interessting, I might try it next time I go there. After the Spanish guys gave up their restaurant, I have been eating at Cafe Theresa which also serves realy good food.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Nice find!

I'm finding it a little hard to follow your blog :(

I would remove the "Posted via Pixelpipe." in the post headlines.
It makes it hard to see what the posts are about in the right hand side column.

I could not find the pic you posted of "Cafe de Paris".
Robert, keep in mind the entire blog, text, pics and GPS location, while on the road is done by Ed's new whiz-bang Google phone. The fact it can do that is amazing...

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Sure, it's amazing, I agree.

But please keep in mind, people need to be able to easily navigate the blog, regardless of the whiz bang technology posting to it :)

Feb 7, 2007
look at this, some blog posts say " pixelpipe " and some do not...
so it's possible to have it without the "pixelpipe" message

No pixelpipe:
fruit stand
lunch at languna gri gri
lago azul

Pixelpipe:
Posted via Pixelpipe. The hotel entrance to La T...
Posted via Pixelpipe. At Lago Azul ( the blue la...
Posted via Pixelpipe.

kmorris

Feb 20, 2006
I would agree that Cafe de Paris has good food. I also like the eateries La Casona and Cafe Gri Gri. Cafe Theresa also serves good food, but Cafe Theresa becomes a bit pricey when you are handed the dinner menu. All in all, you cannot go wrong with any of them. For lunch, you cannot go wrong with La Casona!

Kelsey

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Where is that located ?

Going east you come to the last large street before leaving Rio S. Juan, make a left turn. Go about 2 or 3 blocks and the road goes left or right as a you will see a building in front of you. Make a left and it is about 100 meters on your right. Ask anyone if you cannot find it, every Dominican knows this place.

It is run by Cheo, who is the chef. It ia a Dominican restaurant that does not look Dominican. Table cloths, wine list, etc. A good spot.

Tor

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Ok, thanks. A bit complicated though, but I understand quite a bit from, let's say D'Frank, between 5 and 10 minutes on a motoconcho ? Might try it anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.