Taking an expensive camera to Punta Cana

SergiyK

Nov 23, 2008
We are going to Grand Oasis Punta Cana for Christmas. My wife is a semi-professional photographer and would love to take her SLR camera, which probably costs around 1500 dollars with all the lenses and accessories.

Could someone please tell us how bad this idea is? I certainly understand you cannot rule out anything and wonder what the odds are. How likely is it to be stolen from the hotel room while we are out? How likely is it to be stolen in the street or on the beach if we take all the standard precauations like we do in, say, New York City?

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Just take ordinary precautions, it's probably not the smartest idea to post your dates, name of your resort, and your name on a public internet site along with the value of your camera!

All you neglected to post was your room number and flight.

You would be surprised how creative thieves can be this time of year.

tambo'

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
where would you keep it if you left it at home- id say bring it but dont walk around with it round your neck and leave it in a safe if you dont take it out with you

We are going to Grand Oasis Punta Cana for Christmas. My wife is a semi-professional photographer and would love to take her SLR camera, which probably costs around 1500 dollars with all the lenses and accessories.

Could someone please tell us how bad this idea is? I certainly understand you cannot rule out anything and wonder what the odds are. How likely is it to be stolen from the hotel room while we are out? How likely is it to be stolen in the street or on the beach if we take all the standard precauations like we do in, say, New York City?

Just go and enjoy your vacation and just dont leave it laying around. Treat it as you would in NYC and you will be fine. Enjoy the trip

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
nobody will see any difference between a 300 bucks canon and a 1500 slr, that's all the same.
i own a 10K Nikon equipment which i need for my sportfishing business here and never had a prob with that neither.
you just keep an eye on it where ever you are.
the cam fits in the safebox, in case of lenses i take just 2 simple ones when we stay at a resort, it's vaca, no business.
hotels also offer to use the reception's safe for big valuables,
so you may want to use that.
happy travel
Mike

SergiyK

Nov 23, 2008
Thanks, everybody

This

it's probably not the smartest idea to post your dates, name of your resort, and your name on a public internet site along with the value of your camera!

may be a good point, yet I think that simply following someone with a camera to see his room number is much easier than digging through the forum and then paying off a front desk lady to get the room.

Thank you though.

El Tigre

El Tigre de DR1 - Moderator
Jan 23, 2003
Hello.

As others have recommended take regular precautions like not leaving the cam out of your sight etc. I am also a semi pro with photography (so they tell me lol) and on my last trip I carried all my camera gear with me on a back pack. I would highly recommend one for your trip. Depending on your camera, canon makes a terrific one for 30 bucks. I lugged around my digi SLR with 5 lenses, filters, hoods, battery grip and more. And, also...my digi point and shoot. So don't worry too much. Just have it near you at all times. I went to a hotel with family for 3 nights and as precaution I never left it in the room. Always had it with me :)