Philanthropic forums concerning the DR and Haiti

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Can anybody point me to any good philanthropic forums concerning the DR and Haiti and mainly about facilitating coordination of philanthropic activities here in Hispaniola?

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
I am not aware of any. Some of the big NGOs such as PLAN and World Vison work on both sides of the border. I know that there are missionary groups that supply some missionaries in Haiti. What specifically are you looking for? You can check on espacinsular.org for information.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
I was wondering if there was already a forum to help outside agencies and groups coordinate their philanthropic activities here in the DR and Haiti and if not I was wondering if anybody out there thought there would be a need for such.

I myself have talked to many Christian ministers and doctors over the years and they seem to be all doing all of their stuff independent of one another and I thought it might be good to facilitate their coordination for the betterment of the people here in Hispaniola by having an open forum.

montreal

Bronze
Apr 17, 2006
I was wondering if there was already a forum to help outside agencies and groups coordinate their philanthropic activities here in the DR and Haiti and if not I was wondering if anybody out there thought there would be a need for such.

I myself have talked to many Christian ministers and doctors over the years and they seem to be all doing all of their stuff independent of one another and I thought it might be good to facilitate their coordination for the betterment of the people here in Hispaniola by having an open forum.

Chip,

I have been working in the non-profit world for 10 years. In general, aid agencies work VERY independently. Not only from each other but from their own branches/zones. They simply don't have the time/money and manpower to consolidate these kinds of projects.

I understand your concern, I myself have been consolidating data and reports for aid agencies for years. Unfortunately. it's a long, arduous process. As for public forums....you'd be hard-pressed to find a handful of aid workers who have the time to surf and chat on the internet :ermm:

Nicky

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Chip,

I have been working in the non-profit world for 10 years. In general, aid agencies work VERY independently. Not only from each other but from their own branches/zones. They simply don't have the time/money and manpower to consolidate these kinds of projects.

I understand your concern, I myself have been consolidating data and reports for aid agencies for years. Unfortunately. it's a long, arduous process. As for public forums....you'd be hard-pressed to find a handful of aid workers who have the time to surf and chat on the internet :ermm:

Nicky

Thanks, but I really wasn't thinking of targeting aid workers, but the numerous missionaries and medical professionals that come to the DR and Haiti every year.

montreal

Bronze
Apr 17, 2006
Thanks, but I really wasn't thinking of targeting aid workers, but the numerous missionaries and medical professionals that come to the DR and Haiti every year.

These ppl are not involved with an agency???

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
These ppl are not involved with an agency???

The ones I have talked to are individual doctors who volunteer some time in the DR through various groups or through churches, and of course the missionaries are affiliated with their respective churches. Still it seems hodgepodge to me and thought it might be good to give them a way to coordinate and communicate better and also lets some of the churches and groups post their mission needs and whatnot.

montreal

Bronze
Apr 17, 2006
The ones I have talked to are individual doctors who volunteer some time in the DR through various groups or through churches, and of course the missionaries are affiliated with their respective churches. Still it seems hodgepodge to me and thought it might be good to give them a way to coordinate and communicate better and also lets some of the churches and groups post their mission needs and whatnot.

Chip,

Let me ask around. I'll let u know what I can dig up

Good night!
Nicky