8 Hours in Smana....

Rumble2005

Mar 18, 2006
We are a group of 8 that will be landing in Samana via a cruise ship for an all too short 8 hour visit just after Xmas.
My wife and I have been to Sosua and area 10 + times but have never been to Samana.
Amongst our group will be a 10 and 14 yr old that do not know anything other than the affluence of their Canadian homes.
What we are looking for is someone that can take a group of 8 for a tour that will show the kids how the "real" world is. We do not want to take the tour that the cruise ship offers if at all possible.
Can anyone make a recomendation?:glasses:

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
We are a group of 8 that will be landing in Samana via a cruise ship for an all too short 8 hour visit just after Xmas.
My wife and I have been to Sosua and area 10 + times but have never been to Samana.
Amongst our group will be a 10 and 14 yr old that do not know anything other than the affluence of their Canadian homes.
What we are looking for is someone that can take a group of 8 for a tour that will show the kids how the "real" world is. We do not want to take the tour that the cruise ship offers if at all possible.
Can anyone make a recomendation?:glasses:
Hire a taxi to go to Playa Rincon for the day, one of the best beaches on the planet.

CatherineD

Sep 3, 2006
Casa Dorado in Las Galeras

We take many cruise ship visitors on ocean based excursions including Playa Rincon. Below is more info on our excursions from Las Galeras beach. All prices are based on up to 10 people, not per person.

Playa Rincon Excursion - Conde Nast Traveler ranked this beach as one of the world's 10 best. It's so splendid, in fact, that many Dominicans refer to it as the most beautiful on the island. Over three miles long, Playa Rincon is surrounded by coconut palms and almond trees, not to mention a 2,000 foot mountain on one end. The best way to get to this isolated beach is by boat; a ride that is definitely worth it. Round-trip boat ride from Las Galeras main beach to Playa Rincon is $160 for up to 10 people. There are several small restaurants on Playa Rincon, where you can order a fish, lobster or chicken lunch.

Snorkeling at La Playita/Playa Rincon Excursion - Round-trip boat ride to la Playita to snorkel followed by swimming at Playa Rincon. We provide all snorkeling equipment and ice cold water. The price of the trip is $250 for up to 10 people. Lunch can be ordered in La Playita and cooked while you snorkel.

Sport Fishing ? Deep Sea Fishing in our 28' mako Sport Fishing boat. Up to 4 fishermen is $400 and includes all fishing gear, drinks and snacks.

We are located in Las Galeras, which is 18 miles from Samana. We can reserve a taxi that will be waiting for you on the Samana boat Dock and will bring you straight to Las Galeras main beach and return you at your leisure. The taxi is $100 for up to 10 people. The taxi is a large van/small bus that easily fits 10 passengers.

Lunch is not included in any of these prices, but they run $10-18 per person. Let me know if you have any questions.

Catherine
Casa Dorado :: Las Galeras

rickboz

Feb 5, 2006
I guess it depends on what you mean by real world. If you want to see the real Samana City, then just head up the main road to the west end of town. They may see the local ball players in the park...the school kids in their blue uniforms, the motoconchos and much more. The open market is a true Dominican experience and there are many shops along the road. Perhaps a festival for the holidays may be happening.

Check out behind the basketball arena...you will find the local hospital and a great Dominican 'cafeteria' right across the street, more local shops and offices and homes.

East towards Las Galeras will reveal more local flavor and of course the beaches described above. North towards El Limon and the beautiful waterfall and further to Las Terrenas. West to Sanchez and a trip to Los Haitises.

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
Check with the cruise line for details, they may not be off loading tourists onto the mainland. There was a past post that escapes my search efforts but my memory is that the poster wanted to visit with friends arriving via a cruise ship to the north coast. However, they were disappointed to find out they were unable to make contact with them for the reason the cruise passengers (friends) were dropped off onto one of the offshore islands to enjoy the day, thus prohibiting them to advance the mainland and likewise the poster was unable to transfer to the island from the mainland.

Had something to do with customs and immigration processing if cruise tourists ventured onto the mainland.

There may be other posters able to fill in the blanks on this story.

Regards,
PJT