Bus from SD to Bayhibe to Samana and back

lysat

Nov 19, 2008
Hi-
We will be in DR for two weeks 12/27 to 1/9 and hope to take buses to get around. We will start in Santo Domingo, then Bayahibe then the Samana peninsula. We would love advice on the best routes, how much time to allow and anything else you can think of. We have done bus travel before and speak Spanish go enough to get around. We are two adults and a ten year old.
Thanks!
Lysa

ggparts

Mar 20, 2003
One of my scariest rides in a gua gua.

Gua gua ride from La Romana to Bayahibe all I can say is hang on tight. I have more than 30 visits since 1986 and I have been form Monte Cristi to Punta Cana, Lake Enriquillo to Miches, rental cars with flat tires in the night (I have seen almost everything there is in transportation) and that is the wildest ride I have been on. Maybe because it was raining maybe because it was at the end of a long day but wow! Makes crossing from Sanchez to Las Terrenas look like a Sunday drive.
BTW Bayahibe was worth it ;)

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Let's get the geography straight first.
You cannot go from Bayahibe to Samana. Well you can but you have to swim across the bay or take the ferry...which would be a bus from Bayahibe to Sabana de la Mar, which I think would be a bit complicated, seeing as how it is not one of the main routes.

to get to Samana from Santo Domingo is easy, just go to Metro Station near Winston Churchill...

Are we clear?

Have fun!

HB

Feb 7, 2007
Yes, it would be complicated.

Guaguita from Bayahibe to La Romana.
Guagua/bus from La Romana to San Pedro
Guagua from San Pedro do Sabana de La Mar
or SP to Hato Mayor, connecting to a minivan Hato Mayor to Sabana de la Mar
ferry from SDLM to Samana

Better hop on a guagua to la Romana, then to express bus to Santo Domingo, get off under the Duarte bridge, take a taxi to Caribe Tours (100 pesos max - it's about 6 blocks away) and take Caribe Tours to Samana.