New Codetel TV Service

track

Sep 6, 2008
I don't want this to be an advertisement for Codetel.
You let me know.

Looks like Codetel will soon start selling Cable TV, View On Demand ( Like Apple TV ) using the telephone infrastructure.

I was told to check www.claron.com.sv

Who knows about this future service?
What do you think?

BF1

Dec 7, 2007
www.aplatanados.com
They are already selling it, but just for Santo Domingo, you can see it in theyr offices in Avenida JFK, it is IP based and it works with your phone line like ADSL.

track

Sep 6, 2008
I now have the information

They have 2 plans

Superior has 170 Channels for $995.00
Advance has 190 channels for $1,575.00

Installation is $1,695.00
Additional boxes are $445.00
HBO Premium ( 10 Channels ) $400.00
Movie City Premium ( 8 Channels ) 350.00
Movie City Premium + 1 HD ( 9 Channels ) 450.00
Cinema Premium + 1 HD ( 19 Channels ) $750.00
Playboy, Venus, Private $350.00 each
Adults Channels ( 3 Channels ) $900.00
Super Premium $1,500.00

Plus Tax

Available in Santo Domingo and Santiago

Looks very good but for DR it's a bit expensive.

loan

Nov 17, 2008
nope ill keep wind more cheap than this

and if you need to have their dsl for this is a robery

if not is still expensive.

gl

oh and btw is JODETEL we are talking gg

BF1

Dec 7, 2007
www.aplatanados.com
And since is trough dsl, they have a limit of 3-4 boxes because of the bandwidth.....
it looks interesting but they couldn't convince me.
BTW how good is Wind TV service Loan?

Feb 7, 2007
(Somehow) VVoIP (Video over IP) is separated from "data" on a DSL channel. This means your data DSL stays at the level of whatever data DSL plan you are subscribed to, but you get video bandwidth separate from that. Thing is, you cannot use VVoIP DSL bandwidth for data...

at least this has been my experience from countries where telcos offer Video over DSL.

Btw the line rate is between 800 kbps and 1.5 mbps for MPEG-2, which provides TV quality (but not digital quality). Digital quality is about double (MPEG-4). Calculating that you want 3 boxes, the total line rate for analog VVoIP is between 2.4 mbps and 4.5 mbps and for digital VVoIP is between 4.5 mbps and 9 mbps, depending on the encoder used on side of Codetel.

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2007
Also bear in mind, that with data DSL you are using "outbound" network to the Internet, which costs money, meanwhile with VVoIP you are using a Virtual private Network service - your data goes only as far as TV switch room - somewhere in Santo Domingo. You are not using Internet bandwidth... so for that reason, it's much cheaper for Codetel to give you a 10 mbps line for VVoIP than it is for them to give you a 1 mbps line for Internet data.

track

Sep 6, 2008
Codetel is using ADSL+,Anex M

The service is "almost" fiber to the home.
The link has capacity for 24Mbps Download.
Or you could have 12 video IP boxes viewing 12 different programming. Plus you have the capability to record and pause what you are viewing. I would assume they will limit 4 or 5 boxes to each house.

The new infrastructure Codetel has Installed in a record time has gigabits capacity. I will assume that in Santo Domingo and Santiago more than 200 Fiber to the Home "The Green or White" Metal boxes found on the street, where installed. The investment is cheaper than wireless and has greater bandwidth capacity per user than wireless.

190 Channels, plus 50 music, plus a Few HD channels, plus who know how many video on demand could be done with just 500Mbps, that they have capacity on each one of the boxes.

The system uses TCP/Broadcast ( Like DHCP ), this means that the same stream for 10 viewers will just use the same bandwidth as one channel.

The technology is not new, but in DR this will be a killer for cable companies and hard competition for all other Carriers ( Tricom, OneMax and WindTelecom ). Why? Codetel can and will provide more bandwidth to each user located near one of the boxes.

Note, that the "Boxes" are located on very high income sectors and that the initial price is very high compare to analog cable.

I must admit, they have the right stuff. If you are with in reach you will have the service in less than 5 days. They worked hard installing it, "kept it a secret" and then bang!, came out with service. NO BLAH!, BLAH! BLAH like Wind Telecom.

Question now is, Will OneMax or WindTelecom have capacity to provide 5Mbps to each user? AH! that a simple NO they can't.

They should aim the business to another sector.

MWBanks

Oct 1, 2009
Why can't I find any TV service information in CODETEL's page? The services described by other posts look very attractive, but may not suffice to get further info, such as contract terms and the like. I have a question which may be fundamental in the decision process to approach Codetel regarding their TV service - Will a new drop be necessary to acquire this service? My phone line is overburdened with POTS service and three computers in a closed network. Any ideas?