Traveling to the DR Alone.

chum5501

Nov 23, 2008
Hi Everyone

I'm new to the post and I'm sure this has been posted before, but I can't find it.

I am planning on traveling to the DR in January. Go straight to a resort and just relax and get my mind off of everything. Is it safe for a woman to go alone.

As for the "Skankies" I'm not bashing, but they are in every country...My background is Indian/Pakistani and being a born and raised Canadian puts a GREENCARD stamp on our forehead whenever we've gone to India or Pakistan to visit our families. Besides, I'm paying off 20k in student loans...I don't even have 50 bucks to spare to help someone asking for it atm :p

Any advice for traveling?

Hi Everyone

I'm new to the post and I'm sure this has been posted before, but I can't find it.

I am planning on traveling to the DR in January. Go straight to a resort and just relax and get my mind off of everything. Is it safe for a woman to go alone.

As for the "Skankies" I'm not bashing, but they are in every country...My background is Indian/Pakistani and being a born and raised Canadian puts a GREENCARD stamp on our forehead whenever we've gone to India or Pakistan to visit our families. Besides, I'm paying off 20k in student loans...I don't even have 50 bucks to spare to help someone asking for it atm :p

Any advice for traveling?

Watch out for the Pakistani sankie in Santiago, hes a real ladies man and has a thing for the Canadian ladies. ;)

Reactions: Lapurr

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
I don't even have 50 bucks to spare to help someone asking for it atm

don't worry you'll be very safe. sankies usually look for someone with something :ermm:

Ceasar Garcia

Oct 1, 2008
Just depends on how you act. If you act like you are looking for ACTION they will find you. If you quiet and reserved they will leave you alone. Be polite, don't talk to strangers, don't accept drinks from people. Be aware of your surroundings all of the time. Don't take taxis that are not verified. The cab company will give you the color of the car and, his unit number.

margaret

Bronze
Aug 9, 2006
It CAN be a little lonely in a resort by yourself, but they have organized activities Spanish lessons, games, dance lessons, bocce and volleyball on the beach etc.where you might meet other people to have dinner with. If you DO eat alone, pick the best restaurant, dress up a little, forget about your loans and you will be treated royally. ;) And it's a lot of fun sometimes to watch other people. Don't be afraid of the animacion workers, it's also their job to entertain guests. Learn merengue and bachata!! Take photos, bring a book, go to the gym, spa etc. Vacationing alone builds independence and gives you time to reflect on your life and often you meet people you'd never meet if you were with friends.

Last edited:

Alyonka

Silver
Jun 3, 2006
Dominicans are very friendly people. You will love them. Kids there are a lot of FUN. They have beautiful eyes and open smiles. If you spend a little bit of money and effort to bring them books, used clothes, school supplies, or just take their pictures - they will make your vacation. You will come back very happy. :) Enjoy! :bunny:

Sanation

May 21, 2007
You will have a fabulous time! The resorts are very safe and comfortable.

Do chose your resort carefully though... we live in the Capital and booked a long weekend at the Blue Hills Resort, Playa Dorado. We were looking for some luxury and it was far from that - the website said we would have a room with an ocean view, plasma TV, cable, and a king bed. The reality was a room overlooking the generator, a black & white TV (I kid you not!), no cable and two twin beds. It was the first time I have ever demanded a full refund and checked out on the spot!

chum5501

Nov 23, 2008
Watch out for the Pakistani sankie in Santiago, hes a real ladies man and has a thing for the Canadian ladies. ;)

Are you serious... I must find this man (no no not to marry...just curiosity, and to say...I met a Pakistani sankie in DR...It's weird just writing that :squareeye)...

chum5501

Nov 23, 2008
It CAN be a little lonely in a resort by yourself, but they have organized activities Spanish lessons, games, dance lessons, bocce and volleyball on the beach etc.where you might meet other people to have dinner with. If you DO eat alone, pick the best restaurant, dress up a little, forget about your loans and you will be treated royally. ;) And it's a lot of fun sometimes to watch other people. Don't be afraid of the animacion workers, it's also their job to entertain guests. Learn merengue and bachata!! Take photos, bring a book, go to the gym, spa etc. Vacationing alone builds independence and gives you time to reflect on your life and often you meet people you'd never meet if you were with friends.

I will def have my laptop and hopefully will chose a resort where the wireless connections is not just in the lobby.

The animacion people scare me...They love pulling u up to dance :ninja: I couldn't dance if my life depended on it :eek:

Independance...I love how well you have written that.

Ceasar Garcia

Oct 1, 2008
If you bring your laptop do not put it or anything else of value in your suitcase. Bring those items on board the plane with you. Your camera too. If you do it won't be there when you get off the plane.

margaret

Bronze
Aug 9, 2006
I will def have my laptop and hopefully will chose a resort where the wireless connections is not just in the lobby.
I would leave the laptop at home. You won't miss it and you won't have to worry about safety. There's no where you can lock it up in your room. You can find access in local internet cafes to fire off an email but this is a good time to disconnect. You'll see everyone soon enough and you'll have so much to tell them.

Sanation

May 21, 2007

Most resorts seem to only have internet connections in the lobby, although some do provide PC's for internet surfing at around RD$100 per hour - Barcelo have this service.

If you do bring your laptop, I would recommend a Kensington Pocketsaver retractable lock (Kensington | Keyed Locks). I have one and find it invaluable when travelling. You can wrap the wire around a table leg or through a drawer handle, lock it and walk away knowing that you have a degree of security.

I don't know about others, but we have found that the Barcelo chain has been the most consistent for service and quality. We have stayed at several of their resorts on the South and North coasts and have enjoyed our stays. :cheeky:

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
I am surprised to see a pakistani/indian family letting her young daughter travel alone to the Caribbean island. Oh well, I guess we are almost in 2009.
Here is my advice: If you want to give your dad a heart attack, fall in love with a poor animation guy, or simply date a dominican guy. This would be the prefect recipe to send your mom to her grave. hahahaha, Ok, I am joking. I wish you all well and would like to welcome you to DR. Can i ask where you would be going to? North coast? Punta cana?
Just have a good time, do get involved in pool activities, eat all food except pork. Drink moderately and do not get drunk and take pictures that can come back to haunt you on the net. What happens in DR, stays in DR. when you are back on the plane, reformat your brain harddrive and forget about all in this island. There is no one here in the resort that have anything solid to offer you. their friendship is worthless and their promises are empty. yes, they will be nice and helpful and will treat you like family. guess what, they do this for everyone. This is part of their job.
the guys are nothing more than 200 dollars / month losers. they already have a few dumbos on the hook in various countries who send them love letters/calls everyday. Just because these guys speak english, spanish and german, dance better than michael jackson, does mean they are worth the face value. The real dominicans treat them like servants and no decent domincian girl from a real family even considers talking to them. So leave these sankies for the trashy white women who worship them.
Take merengue classes and make friends with other guests who are not just there to get drunk all day and talk about their tattooes all over their bodies. they are all plumbers or factory workers back home. You worry about paying back your 20K student loan first before making any worthless friends on your vacation. When you get bored, come to santiago and i will cook up delicious chicken tikka for you on the grill.
Any more questions, send me a PM. I am the one and only self proclaimed pakistani sankie in santiago.
AZB

jruane44

Bronze
Jul 2, 2004
A, A
So leave these sankies for the trashy white women who worship them.

I agree with everything AZB said except the above quote. They're not all white.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Bring a mp3 player or cell phone with some memory for music. Bring divx format movies on your hard drive to watch them at night on your laptop. bring 30+ sunblock lotion. they are expensive here. Do not use hotel phone, it will cost you a fortune. Just go to a local cell phone company store and get a card prepaid phone for like 400 pesos (11 dollars) which includes a few free minutes. Incoming minutes are free so anyone from usa can call you and it will not cost you a dime. if you do have wifi connection, log on to Voipstunt | Free international calls worldwide! put in 10 euros from your credit card and now you have 120 days free to call usa and canada, including land lines in many European countries. So bring mic and headphones.
Do not buy cuban cigars for your dad in hotel. most are fake and made in some local shack.
eat lots of papaya and sweet pineapple. Its good for digestion. Do not eat hotdogs here, they taste like rubber and are made of pork.
AZB

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
travelling alone is perfectly safe - my first trip to DR was alone. if you want to "make friends" in order to go out or have some company at your table, go for foreigners. at least you won't look like a "green card" :) to fellow canadians...