Traveling to the Dominican Alone.

chum5501

Nov 23, 2008
Hey Everyone

I'm very new to this site, and so I may have accidentally posted this thread somewhere else...or this topic has already been discussed, and I just haven't figured out how to find it.

Januray 16th. I have a weeks vacation and am dying to go to Punta Cana. I have two friends who are interested but I think One may bail and the other is trying to get some vacation time. I am going regardless, but before I buy my ticket I wanted to ask all of you. Is it safe for a woman (i'm 28) to travel to Punta Cana alone? I plan to go straight to the Nolitours desk at the airport be directed to my bus hop on and get to my resort and just relax for a week.

Any Suggestions? Any concerns?

johnny

Bronze
Feb 8, 2003
hausenland.com
Just pray that your bus dont be hijacked by haitians terrorist in the way to your resort. lol

Even in the case you dont take this cautions. you will be safe in punta cana.
In more than 10 years visiting the area, I had never heard of any tourist being killed.
just some minors robbery, but this will happen in cancun, miami or anywhere you go.
enjoy your stay in the country, and leave the resort, you wont have any problem.

robbie

Bronze
Aug 3, 2006
You'll be fine

You'll have a great time,really.
I'm sure the sankies will want to keep you company:cheeky:
If you go by yourself or with a friend and your a woman ( or women) you
may want to read up on this board about Sankies

Last edited:

amandalynn

Oct 5, 2007
Robbie is right.....read...read...read the Sankie pages. They are very smooth talkers and before you know it you have fallen.

chum5501

Nov 23, 2008
Just pray that your bus dont be hijacked by haitians terrorist in the way to your resort. lol

QUOTE]

HAW HAW HAW

sorry JAJAJAJAJ

My heart stopped for a few minutes.

I almost got pick pocketed in NYC. The beasty boys were setting up in Times Square for a video and everyone was standing watching. There were police EVERYWHERE...At one point a police officer stopped infront of me and looked over my shoulder. I turned around and this guy was crouched over right behind me BOLTED the other way. (All he would have gotten is my bus pass since as a student I didn't even have change on me).

I usually only carry travelors cheques, and don't take more than 200 usd with me...

chum5501

Nov 23, 2008
OH right the Sankies.

Trust me...My Family in India/Pak tries to Drain us of money all the time. They too think that money here grows on trees. There's always something. They've been robbed, and the robbers took ALL OF THEIR MONEY which for some strange reason was in the house and not at the bank. The ceiling fell after a rainstorm and it will cost 2000CAD to fix it. My uncle in law fell off of his motorbike and cut his foot, and now it's infected so he needs money....etc etc etc. And since the're family, Mom feels bad and SOMETIMES GIVES IN and sends them money only to later find out that instead of taking the money and paying for Child #1's tuition fees, they spent it on a T.V bigger than one we have in Canada.

Non immediate family tries to woo you so that you fall in love and bring them to Canada...

johnny

Bronze
Feb 8, 2003
hausenland.com
travelers checks are not very commun anymore.
you better travel with some cash(you dont need much in punta cana if you go to an AI resort), and you ATM card.
Most resort here have at leats 1 or 2 ATM machine.
It is safer than go to an Exchange office to change your T. checks. and if you find the way to change it at your resort counter. you will get nothing.
enjoy

theman

Aug 25, 2008
Punta Cana is very safe for a single woman, it's more a resort area, so a lot of security, and police in that area make sure nothing happen to the tourist.

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
yo will be safe here in PC and get a blast.
hey, don't trust those Nolitours guys,
they just wanna bring you off the resort on excursions without a security guy behind ya and highjack your purse at the gift shop stops, he he.
yeap Johnny,
she got ya on the Sankie theme.
if you meant the travelers checks for small spendings like buying small souvenirs or have some drinks in town i agree on not taking them, bring cash in small bills is the best for that. if you plan to do excursions or such travelers checks are o.k. and accepted by your nolitours guys the same than cash. credit/debit cards to use at the ATM's are always a good idea, best exchange rates and you get the money dispensed in dominican pesos, so no exchange/calculating needed, just local currency payment.
have a great time on the Isle
Mike

sascha

Oct 4, 2007
i agree with mike...youll be fine and youll have a blast too! i went to santo domingo alone for the first time in february and took the bus out east to punta cana for 4 days of R&R and had no problems at all. you'll find lots of people to talk to on the beach/resort and you learn to just strike up conversations with people as you go.

just be smart about things and you'll have a blast :)

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Grammar Police here, you are under a RED alert!!

Wot this means young lady is that you have committed the gravest of grammatical sins: You said "the Dominican", and that is improper. You see, 'Dominican' is an adjective and, as such, needs a noun to make sense in English.

Now you could have said that you were going down ON the Dominican and we would have understood.

From now on you must learn to use either the "DR" or the whole nine yards-> the Dominican Republic....OR ELSE!!

As to your visit: You will have a good time. The area is quite friendly, and as you have proven, you are well aware of the wily people that are looking to get to Canada (or elsewhere) at your expense...

For a week's worth of R&R you will be most pleased. Do report back after this experience....

1) Bring your ATM card, not T/Cs, too many scams run with them.
2) CAsh-US dollars, not too many.
3) Exchange your money in a "casa de cambio" or "exchange house" in the village.
4) Do take a day trip or two. Go to La Romana's Altos de Chav?n..it is worth the trip.
5) Bring some bug spray with DEET to keep the little "no-see-ems" away from your ankles and arms at night.
6) Sun screen is a must unless you want to look like a croc at 40.

Finally, you post, with a look into your family, was really cool and sort of funny, thanks for sharing!

Cordially,

HB

Reactions: margaret