Chinese Pride Stronger than Dominican Pride?

hisbunny

Nov 25, 2008
I was reading an online newspaper & found this in the classifieds:

?Los juegos de NBA ALL-STAR estar?n aqu? pronto! Debemos demonstraran nuestro orgullo de ser Dominicanos y voten para el Al Horford. Usted puede votar tantas veces como usted tiene gusto, a muchas veces es el mejor. Al Horford ha hecho mucho para traer honor a nuestro communidad, muestraramos nuestro aprecio y apoyaramos el hijo quisqueyano. ?Ven a nba.com y voten! ?Gracias!

And I that made me wonder...what are Dominicans doing to make sure that they are represented in the NBA All-Star games? I see lots of posts talking about how proud we are to represent, but what about taking action in a way that matters? Yao Ming and Yi J. don't have to worry; they are going to get millions of votes, so what about supporting the Quisqueyanos?

Just wondering, because it means a lot to the players & to the Latin community but most of all to the Dominican Republic. Have you voted today?

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006
I think it is due to the fact that since Michael Jordan quit in his Chicago Bulls days the NBA popularity has gone down in the DR, so people don't pay a lot of attention to NBA perks nowadays, but this is a helpful reminder.

A votar por el mio...

corsair74

Bronze
Jul 3, 2006
Just curious. Are there any Dominican players in the NBA? I don't watch basketball as much as I used to. So I am a little out of touch.

Vince.

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
Corsair

Yes there are 2

1- Al Horford: NBA.com : Al Horford Info Page

He is a pretty young Center-Forward which is projected to be a superstar, he was drafted 3rd in the first round of the 2007 draft.

2- Francisco Garcia: NBA.com : Francisco Garcia Info Page

I know him personally, a nice guy, he plays for Sacramento Kings as a forward, last year he had a really good year with multiple games of 20+ points.

I think it's about being able to relate. Dominicans don't seem to be in to basketball and football as much as baseball, which they have more exposure to.

I guess that's pretty normal. I have come to terms that, among a host of other things, there are two items I'll go to my grave not understanding:

1. The fundamental nature of the universe; and

2. Cricket (which I'm convinced is much harder to understand than the universe).

I'm sure it's a great game, I just don't relate to it. And I don't think that makes me any less proud to be an American.