Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Calling to The US and PR for same price as DR (TRICOM)

Tricom announced today that starting tomorrow their residential customers will be able to call The US and Puerto Rico for the same price as calling locally within The DR.

Las llamadas por Tricom valdrán igual a RD, EU y PR - ElNacional.com.do

They are trying to use IP Telephony to grow their fledgling customer base. I think this competition is very good for The DR...If only they could extend these rates to cell phones...

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

They need more fixed income or something. Still it's very good for the consumer.

But will it help TRICOM?

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

I understand you are speaking of a "house phone", but, is the rate to use Tricon as low as Viva to call the USA? IMO, Viva is cheap and the call quality is very good! How will the two compare?

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WillSDQ View Post
    I understand you are speaking of a "house phone", but, is the rate to use Tricon as low as Viva to call the USA? IMO, Viva is cheap and the call quality is very good! How will the two compare?
    What does Viva charge to call the US?

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Viva total RD$ 5.38 per minute w/taxes (US$ 0.15 per minute).

Tricom's average price is RD$ 5.68 per minute according to the article, but it does not state whether the amount is with or without taxes (28%).

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Question

Quote Originally Posted by windeguy View Post
    7 Centavos per second plus taxes according to viva.com.do for calls to the DR, USA, Canada and PR ( 4.2 pesos per minute plus tax.)
    It looks like they also have a Pospago plan where they charge 1.5RD (+imp) per minute to your favorite number. With the 28% tax, that works out to about .054 cents (US) a minute.

Am I reading that correctly?

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

If I am doing the math correctly, it cost about 12 cents a minute to call the USA using Viva. Excellent quality and mobility, a great combination. The only draw back to Viva is, as of now, their coverage is not as wide ranged as Claro or Orange. I carry a Claro chip with me when I am in the campo.