Time

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Is this statement true or is it the other way around? Could any of our time-savy readers please put it right.

Time
The Dominican Republic is on Atlantic Standard Time all year long. Clocks are one hour ahead of those on the US eastern seaboard in the fall-winter but keep the same time in the spring-summer. The Dominican Republic is four hours ahead of GMT time.

Nov 25, 2008
correct, unfortunately Dominicans are never [98.99%] on time when it comes to schedules, or meeting people at a certain time....

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004
When it is 7:15 PM here in Santo Tap?n Atlantic Standard Time it is 6:15 PM Eastern Standard Time and 11:15 PM GMT.

When the EST time zone goes to Eastern Daylight time the EST zone conforms with Atlantic Standard Time

Dominican Time is a philosphical and sociological concept best described by the Spanish worfd "ahorrita".

Ahorrita can mean anyting from "in a few seconds" to infinity.

This is a concept not easily grasped by the Anglo-centric or Euro-centric mind. People from North America or Europe who live in the DR for any length of time find that this concept often becomes comprehensible by osmosis.

If they return to visit their countries of origin they can experience unexpected culture shock.

This is easily resolved temporarily with adult beverages IMHO.

The long term cure is to return to Paraiso con Rotos. ------ IMHO

Oddly enough people with origins in Asia or Africa get it.

Australians and En Zeds don't really care. Their reaction to such things is "She's right, mate".

People from Antarctica are actually penguins and ain't talking but I would guess their attitude is very similar to Aussies and Kiwis. ------ IMHO

Last edited:
Reactions: margaret

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
.........The Dominican Republic is on Atlantic Standard Time all year long. Clocks are one hour ahead of those on the US eastern seaboard in the fall-winter but keep the same time in the spring-summer. The Dominican Republic is four hours ahead of GMT time.

Yes you are correct. If the DR observed daylight saving time than the DR would be one hour ahead of the eastern seaboard all year long.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
this has been discussed at great length.
Whenit got too confusing for Hipolito's government (first he put it ahead , then he put it back, not really knowing what he was doing..) they finally left it on US Eastern Daylight Time or Atlantic Standard time.

As such, we are Zulu -4, I do believe..Greenwich -4.....

Makes things difficult if your favorite show is at ten and you have to get up early...either tape it or forget it....

HB

Ceasar Garcia

Oct 1, 2008
Ahorita really means RIGHT NOW. It is a congorgation of the verb ahora. Only here does it mean later. I always say ahora northamericano if I want them on time. I don't wait for them. When they call and, are angry because I did not wait. I simple explain when you go to the airport does the plane wait for you ? I don't wait either. No te gusta mal gastar de mi tiempo.

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006
Ahorita really means RIGHT NOW. It is a congorgation of the verb ahora. Only here does it mean later. I always say ahora northamericano if I want them on time. I don't wait for them. When they call and, are angry because I did not wait. I simple explain when you go to the airport does the plane wait for you ? I don't wait either. No te gusta mal gastar de mi tiempo.

That's only true in Mexico, here in the DR Ahorita means in a while, or later.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
The Dominican Republic is on Atlantic Standard Time all year long. Clocks are one hour ahead of those on the US eastern seaboard in the fall-winter but keep the same time in the spring-summer. The Dominican Republic is four hours ahead of GMT time.

only in the winter, of course. in the summer it is 5 hours ahead of GMT.
mentally DR is in the virtual time zone, so to speak, where 1pm today can mean 1pm or 4pm or 8am next day or 9pm next week and so on.

in reality AST is not "atlantic standard time" but "any standard time" :bunny:

Reactions: FernieBee

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
this has been discussed at great length.
Whenit got too confusing for Hipolito's government (first he put it ahead , then he put it back, not really knowing what he was doing..) they finally left it on US Eastern Daylight Time or Atlantic Standard time.

As such, we are Zulu -4, I do believe..Greenwich -4.....

Makes things difficult if your favorite show is at ten and you have to get up early...either tape it or forget it....

HB

Would this mean we are four hours behind GMT, and not four hours ahead?

So this instead would be correct:

Time
The Dominican Republic is on Atlantic Standard Time all year long. Clocks are one hour ahead of those on the US eastern seaboard in the fall-winter but keep the same time in the spring-summer. The Dominican Republic is four hours BEHIND of GMT time.

FernieBee

Bronze
Feb 20, 2008
29m0sb6.jpg

link

==

nz22ja.jpg

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
Doesn't matter what any official definition says:

ahorita means - in practical use here in THIS country:

Almost now
Sometime soon
In just a little while

OR

it can mean anything from 5 minutes to about 47 DAYS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

FernieBee

Bronze
Feb 20, 2008
Doesn't matter what any official definition says:

ahorita means - in practical use here in THIS country:

Almost now
Sometime soon
In just a little while

OR

it can mean anything from 5 minutes to about 47 DAYS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

vg0qkp.jpg

:glasses:

Bryanell

Bronze
Aug 9, 2005
only in the winter, of course. in the summer it is 5 hours ahead of GMT.

Dorota,

GMT, UTC, Zulu are all the same and they are absolutely constant.
It's true that when the UK goes on to summertime, we are 5 hours behind (not ahead of) London time instead of the usual 4, but that is because on British Summer Time (BST) London is GMT/UTC/Zulu plus one hour.

To be absolutely and annoyingly correct, as mentioned by another poster in this thread, the DR is more/less 70 degrees west of the Greenwich Meridian, and as each 15 degrees of longitude represents 1 hour of time difference, the actual difference is GMT minus 4hours 36 minutes. Most nations, however, round off the time difference to the nearest hour with the possible exception of India and one or two others who round off to the nearest half-hour.

Bryan