getting back a deposit..

BabyBlu

Jan 20, 2004
Hey legal section! Hope you guys can help me out..
I have been renting a house for almost 3 years, but will be moving in January. As per the contract I am to give the landlord 1 month notice that I am leaving. Okay so I did that,gave him 2 months notice, but I am nervous that he is not wanting to give me my deposit back. What happens if on the day i have moved out and he inspects the place, he does not give me my deposit? BTW the house is in the same condition as when he rented it to me, so I should be getting every peso back. I know some people just live out their deposit, but also in the contract it says that is not allowed. So lets say if he doesn't give me my money, do I not give him his keys? Just wanted some advice in advance, I am really counting on that deposit money! Thanks !

Reactions: rellosk

BabyBlu

Jan 20, 2004
I'm so sorry could've sworn I posted this in the legal section...Anyway to move it???:ermm:

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
The only way to make sure is to live out your deposit.

Do you want your'e money or don't you?

He can't evict you in 30 days so go for it.

let's say you're a nice guy and trust this person and he does not give your deposit back then what are you going to do.....you'll be back here asking how do i get my money back and the advice then is don't waste your time as you will need to spend more than it's worth

BabyBlu

Jan 20, 2004
Well I can say that I don't trust him!!! I have no problem living out the deposit ( 33,000= 3months) but in the contract I signed it does state that a deposit cannot be lived out. Now I don't want to get screwed but I also don't want to get in trouble by staying here for 3 more months living off the deposit. My landlord is a lawyer and just happens to work for the goverment office that issues the impedimento de Salida, so I don't know how much trouble he can cause me for refusing to leave

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
That changes things just a TAD. I thought you would be living off the last month not 3.

If he's a lawyer and works for the government I would pay the guy and if you get any of your deposit back consider it a bonus!

Nov 25, 2008
why are you jumping the gun?? I would guess that after 3 years paying rent you should know him, even a little, you have to notify him in WRITING that you will be moving [get his signature]. Normally after the tenant moves the landlord waits until the last electric, water, tel bill comes in and deducts it from the deposit and what is left is returned.
Simply ask him if he has no HOLD-UPS in return the deposit

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Many people live out the deposit, despite what is written on the contract.

Don't assume if you know him, that he has the money to give you the 2 months back.

If you do not trust him, either ask him for the deposit or tell him your going to live it out.

I'm 99% sure they will not issue an impedimento de Salida for living out a deposit.
As long as you have all the receipts etc, I'm sure you will be fine.

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
Many people live out the deposit, despite what is written on the contract.

Don't assume if you know him, that he has the money to give you the 2 months back.

If you do not trust him, either ask him for the deposit or tell him your going to live it out.

I'm 99% sure they will not issue an impedimento de Salida for living out a deposit.
As long as you have all the receipts etc, I'm sure you will be fine.
It sounds like there is no easy legal recourse to get back the deposit.

I'm guessing there is also not a requirement for the landlord to keep the deposit in a separate account.

BabyBlu

Jan 20, 2004
why are you jumping the gun?? I would guess that after 3 years paying rent you should know him, even a little, you have to notify him in WRITING that you will be moving [get his signature]. Normally after the tenant moves the landlord waits until the last electric, water, tel bill comes in and deducts it from the deposit and what is left is returned.
Simply ask him if he has no HOLD-UPS in return the deposit

I guess I should mention that the reason I am not trusting him is that when I gave him verbal notice he sounded kind of mad and basically hung up on me. So I did type up a written statement as well and I have been calling him, leaving messages, emails and he is not answering me, so I can't even get him to sign that.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
I guess I should mention that the reason I am not trusting him is that when I gave him verbal notice he sounded kind of mad and basically hung up on me. So I did type up a written statement as well and I have been calling him, leaving messages, emails and he is not answering me, so I can't even get him to sign that.

If you can't get hold of him you can't pay any more rent, can you? :) Live out your deposit. I think impedimientos can only be imposed for criminal matters, not civil matters so wouldn't apply in this case. You could check with Dr. Guzman though in the Legal section.

Nov 25, 2008
its good to get all the details, for rellosk; you do need to deposit the deposit in a separate account in the Reserva Bank, by law [but we know whats that worth.
I would have the letter of leaving delivered by "aguacil" so if the landlord doesn't sign it, its validated by the "aguacil" that it was delivered to him,

Nov 25, 2008
sue ??

as you know suing in the DR is worthless if the amount is not considerable, at the end the lawyers get the $$, if you see that your getting nowhere with him, run up the electric bills [leave the ac on all day and night for a month], take the doors off the hinges and take them with you one day [night] and donate them to a church [hopefully you 'll be leaving the city, dont give the landlord as reference]; obviously I have heard of people doing these acts, as they say vengeance is a dish better served cold.
For 1,200us I am sure that you can get you satisfaction, I know I would,/.,';, as I said I don't condone these acts

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
www.azconatechnologies.com

If that is the way he is acting, definitely live out the deposit. You will never get a dime from him.

Gersen40

Dec 11, 2008
Getting your deposit back

Hey legal section! Hope you guys can help me out..
I have been renting a house for almost 3 years, but will be moving in January. As per the contract I am to give the landlord 1 month notice that I am leaving. Okay so I did that,gave him 2 months notice, but I am nervous that he is not wanting to give me my deposit back. What happens if on the day i have moved out and he inspects the place, he does not give me my deposit? BTW the house is in the same condition as when he rented it to me, so I should be getting every peso back. I know some people just live out their deposit, but also in the contract it says that is not allowed. So lets say if he doesn't give me my money, do I not give him his keys? Just wanted some advice in advance, I am really counting on that deposit money! Thanks !

Hola, BabyBlu Como Esta Usted.

I will be relocating to the Dominican Republic September 2009 if not sooner. I would like to know how did you find your house, and can you assist or guide me in the right direction on how I can find a House to rent? I would like to be able to furnish my own Washer and Dryer including the following amenities listed below.

1 Central Air-conditioning
2- Pool ( Optional)
3- Fully equipped Kitchen
4- Furnished (Optional)
5- 1 1/2 Bathrooms
6- 2 Bedroom
7- Accessible to Major Shopping areas.
8-Location (any city, which is commutable to all resorts in Punta Cana since I will be working their)
9- Cable/Direct TV/ Internet
10- Residential

I'm not for certain what the price range would be for a House; with the amenities I have listed in the DR. However the maxium I am only allotted to pay is $700.00 a month rent in USD, and the house must be accessible to the resorts in punta cana. I am willing to commute up to two hours if need be.

Your assistance will be greatly appreciated in this matter.

Mucho Gracias :glasses:

Last edited:

Mason3000

Aug 2, 2008
Bottom line here is SOMEONE is going to be unhappy. Either A) YOU because he's NOT giving your deposit back OR B)HIM because he's not going to get to steal your money.The good news is YOU decide who it's going to be.

I seriously doubt he's going to cash in his favors to have you thrown out, although he'll say he's going to.

Or, admit he's got you beat
here, move on and for only 950US you learned a priceless lesson.