Anyone know of a good cheap place to rent a car?

thomas901

May 4, 2008
where is the best place to rent a car??? #1 cheapest #2 cheapest with decent cars that wont fall apart.

Freemo

May 26, 2003
Insurance

where is the best place to rent a car??? #1 cheapest #2 cheapest with decent cars that wont fall apart.

Make sure you don't go for the cheapest or the lot and forget that the most important thing in the deal is the insurance. If you get a cheap insurance package then you could end up regretting it. You'll see from may threads that there are some horror stories with regard to paying out big time for accidents that aren't fully covered by the insurance.

Just be aware that's all

Paul

jruane44

Bronze
Jul 2, 2004
A, A
Don't rent a car in the DR based on it being the lowest price. Go with the big named companies like Budget. There will be numerous people trying to rent you a car for a good price when you get off the plane. Avoid them like the plague. It will cost you a lot more in the long run. The scams that they pull range from adding charges to credit cards to going to the place that you are staying and taking the car back with a spare key. Then you have to report the car stolen and they add all sorts of charges to the credit card. Good luck getting the credit card company to listen to you. Also go with the big name for car service and road side assisstance.

yess

Jun 1, 2008
right - do not go for cheap
my first trip I rented from Omar's in Bonao, I was staying with a local family and they insisted that going with a "big name" was a waste of money. The first car overheated on the short trip back to Piedra Blanca so we got another. Yeah - that one somehow sheered its screws and we almost lost a tire up near Puerta Plata.

So day three of a four day vacation was spent sitting in the hot sun in a mechanics yard getting that fixed. Of course they take one look at me and want to charge twice ;P

Feb 7, 2007
Here in Higuey the no-name companies rent junk cars for RD$2,000 per day and with no insurance included - they don't even sell one - that's US$ 60. For that money you can get a nicer, newer car, with full insurance from a major car rental company.

johnny

Bronze
Feb 8, 2003
hausenland.com
Metro rent good 2 or 3 years old cars for very reasonable price.
they are across the street from caribe tour in 27 de febrero.
Tony?s rent a car also rent cheap, but cars in very good conditions. 2 or 3years old too.
1 block from la cadena supermarket in Sarasota ave.
you can get differents kind of insurance.
full, 5,000, 10,000 deductible
the cheaper you rent, the higher deductible, you get.

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
ahhhh sorry..i meant to write for santo domingo.
I just rented a car from National in Santo Domingo for $28US/day (before taxes and insurance) for an intermediate sized car. I think the compact was about $20.

If you are looking to cut out some of the taxes, DO NOT rent at the airport, they charge a 7% tax for that privilege.

Reactions: wishingiwasthere

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
.....If you are looking to cut out some of the taxes, DO NOT rent at the airport, they charge a 7% tax for that privilege.

National charges 10% airport fee but the fee is less than taking a taxi to an off airport location.