Which taxi service is the cheapest?

thomas901

May 4, 2008
my girl says aerotaxi. what do you think? is one maybe better for short trips and the other better for long trips?? what about private drivers? they normally charge less?? if so...anyone have a good driver that works within a short distance of universitaria? it would be great if i could get some contacts for days and nights.

Freemo

May 26, 2003
apollo taxis

my girl says aerotaxi. what do you think? is one maybe better for short trips and the other better for long trips?? what about private drivers? they normally charge less?? if so...anyone have a good driver that works within a short distance of universitaria? it would be great if i could get some contacts for days and nights.

I would recommend APOLLO taxis - used them for the 2 weeks I was in Santo Domingo (Zona Universitaria)- my wife being Dominican automatically ensures that we use the most cost effective taxi company.

They are very reliable and you can get daily rates that are pretty fair we found. Some of the taxis are a bit tatty but most are good condition. If you want one with air-con just make sure you specify that when you book the car. Also ensure you get the rate confirmed by the despatcher when you are making the booking. Don't call for the taxi yourself unless you speak fluent Dominican Spanish or the rate will be higher.

Paul

Feb 7, 2007
Most taxi companies have the same rate on short and medium distances.
I like Aerotaxi and Taxi express. They have somewhat lower rates on larger distances (e.g. across town and to remote city areas). You can get a rate (maximum) from dispatch before you make the trip, and then you can try to negotiate lower rate with the driver.
Don't use taxi on out-of-town trips. They are quite expensive - e.g. Boca Chica from SD costs upward of RD$1,000 - for 50 pesos you can catch an airconditioned express bus.

Empress

Jul 31, 2008
POP region?

Hi all,

What about taxis for the region of Puerto Plata? Do these companies service that area too? Our trips are approximately 2hrs - round trip, can I get a quote in both RD and US for 1 - 1 1/2 hr trip?
My understanding is that if you have to put load in back it's extra too?

thomas901

May 4, 2008
Hi all,

What about taxis for the region of Puerto Plata? Do these companies service that area too? Our trips are approximately 2hrs - round trip, can I get a quote in both RD and US for 1 - 1 1/2 hr trip?
My understanding is that if you have to put load in back it's extra too?

you dont want to use a taxi for any distance that long (unless you have money to burn like that) ...take a bus and save a fortune. just ask around where you are and theyll help you find one.

theartofbone

Oct 28, 2003
Ive used many taxis throughout the capital many times and have found that APOLLO is definitly not one of the cheapest; the best overall taxi in my opinion, cost:availability is Taxi Rondon. Apollo charges at least 10% more than Taxi Rondon.

If you need the # let me know. I didnt post it here because I didnt want my promotion to turn into an advetisement.