Air only from Halifax??

nsgirl

Nov 4, 2008
I`m looking at flying to Puerto Plata early in July. Righ now the best deal I can get is $1000 +, most are about $1100. Just wondering if anyone has air only experience from this area and if that price is the norm? Should I wait till it gets closer and see if any deals pop up?

sammystorm19

Apr 8, 2007
nsgirl,

The prices will go down in the new year. I would wait to book. The price you are getting is toooooo high. July is low season down in the Domincain Republic and the airlines will want to try and sell the seats on their flights.

Just remember that unless you want to go through the United States, you will need to probably connect with flights out of Toronto or Montreal. You can try Westjet through Toronto. They usually have good prices. Look for seat sales. They have a lot of them. I got a good price for August with Westjet for 460.00 and I am going Christmas day for 360.00. You just need to keep loooking.

One more thing, are you looking for a one way or roundtrip?

Cheers
Erin

nsgirl

Nov 4, 2008
Erin, thanks! I figured that the price could be better but you never know...I`m looking for a round trip, staying for 2 weeks. Most of the flights I`ve looked at take me into the states. Air Canada has one direct from Montreal, and the timing is perfect for me but it`s over $1100 right now. My agent isn`t to familiar with air only to the DR but she figured I could get a deal later in the year on one of the charters from Toronto...Right now those prices don`t look to good though, especially after I add in the cost to fly there from Halifax...I`m going to do volunteer work and would like to keep my costs as low as possible....

sammystorm19

Apr 8, 2007
If you are dealing with a travel agent they should know some about air only flights all over the world. Myself, I am a travel agent and know all about air only to the Dominican. I should, since I go 5 times a year.

Just keep looking. The charters will go down in price. There will be no direct flights out of the East Coast that time of year. You will have to connect through Toronto, the US or drive to Montreal.

Don't fear, the price will go down sometime next year.

Have fun!

Erin

nsgirl

Nov 4, 2008
I found a flight on Air Canada, stopping in Montreal for $765. Is this a good deal or should I wait longer and see if any seat sales pop up?

sammystorm19

Apr 8, 2007
Either way you are going to have to connect through Montreal or Toronto if you are flying within Canada. That is a good price. If you are willing to pay it now do it. The prices might go down, but like I have said in the past, it is a waiting game.

Cheers
Erin

nsgirl

Nov 4, 2008
Thanks Erin, I talked to your friend Jenn today and she said it was a good price but figured that West Jet may have a seat sale that could beat it in the new year...I saw that they had a one day only sale yesterday but you had to fly before March. It was $567 or something like that. Now if I could get that price I`d be laughing!! I`m just so confused! I don`t know whether to take the ok price or wait for a better deal....

sammystorm19

Apr 8, 2007
Take mine and Jenn's advise then and wait. There will be seat sales on with Westjet. It happens all the time and really you aren't going until July so whats the harm in waiting for a seat sale.

Cheers
Erin

nsgirl

Nov 4, 2008
Thanks again Erin! I have decided to wait...I just need to learn to be more patient. LOL. You`re right, I`m not going till July so I`m sure someone will have a better deal between now and then.