The New Fast and the Furious filmed in DR

theman

Aug 25, 2008
I saw the preview of the upcoming movie Fast and the Furious 4, and they say it was filmed in DR, was it really? In what area?

stormtroops

Dec 16, 2008
Yes i saw the trailer, And i dont believe that is dr, and if it is SOMEONE tell me WHERE in the DR that is!!!

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
I haven't seen the trailer and probably will not see the movie, but keep in mind that many movies that are filmed in the DR do not have the DR in their storyline. More often than not, they film a movie on spot in the DR and then they digitally modify the location to make it seem like another place.

Remember Miami Vice? Much of that movie was filmed in the DR, but you wouldn't know that by simply watching the movie. Even the parts that they filmed in Capotillo, in the movie those areas were used to represent Haiti as the place in the movie from where the drug dealers were taking the drugs to the U.S.

That has been one of the criticisms I have towards this practice, since attracting movie producers to the DR is meant to boost Dominican tourism. However, I don't think it will have the desired effect if the movies don't incorporate the DR in their scripts and if the do that, they must present the DR in a positive light. There is nothing positive about making the DR seem like a drug smuggling place, for example.

They need to include the DR into the storyline and in a positive light; that would be a perfect marketing tool for the Dominican tourism industry.

-NALs

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
The trailer has a location subtitle that reads Dominican Republic, but info on the movie states the action takes place in Mexico.

Jun 18, 2007
www.rentalmetrocountry.com
I haven't seen the trailer and probably will not see the movie, but keep in mind that many movies that are filmed in the DR do not have the DR in their storyline. More often than not, they film a movie on spot in the DR and then they digitally modify the location to make it seem like another place.

Remember Miami Vice? Much of that movie was filmed in the DR, but you wouldn't know that by simply watching the movie. Even the parts that they filmed in Capotillo, in the movie those areas were used to represent Haiti as the place in the movie from where the drug dealers were taking the drugs to the U.S.

That has been one of the criticisms I have towards this practice, since attracting movie producers to the DR is meant to boost Dominican tourism. However, I don't think it will have the desired effect if the movies don't incorporate the DR in their scripts and if the do that, they must present the DR in a positive light. There is nothing positive about making the DR seem like a drug smuggling place, for example.

They need to include the DR into the storyline and in a positive light; that would be a perfect marketing tool for the Dominican tourism industry.

-NALs
I noticed that the other day when I was wathcing the new James Bond movie supposedly taking place in Haiti. To my surprise I saw it was filmed in Isla Cabra, Fort Sherman and Colon City in Panama.

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
A major plotline in F&F takes place in the DR...most movies filmed here use the DR in place of Cuba. It has also been used to recreate parts of Vietnam (Rio Chavon, in Apocalypse Now), among other locations.

wishingiwasthere

Nov 19, 2005
I noticed that the other day when I was wathcing the new James Bond movie supposedly taking place in Haiti. To my surprise I saw it was filmed in Isla Cabra, Fort Sherman and Colon City in Panama.

As an aside - the wife and i watched that and burst out laughing at the Jamaican accent from the hotel receptionist!

thomas901

May 4, 2008
i was watching a couple trailers for that movie and in one of them it showed (for about half a second) what looked like to be santo domingo...just google fast and furious trailers..maybe you can find it and spot a SD building

faer

Jan 6, 2005
quantum of solace

-NALs

same thing happened here in Chile. Most of the last 007 movie was filmed at Chile's Atacama Desert, but was "ambiented" as Bolivia....I think I don't have to tell you how this was taken by our people, lots of protests and disconfort on northern cities.
By the way, for the ones that watched the movie, did you notice the "hotel"?, well those are the current astronomers facility at Paranal VLT (very large telescope) ESO observatory site, near Antofagasta, a location with an average 350 day clear skies per year!!!!

DOMINCAN JOE

Bronze
Aug 15, 2006
and the DR is not new for Vin Diesel,
he's been fishing here out of the PC Marina around 3 years ago.
Mike
http://www.dr1.com/forums/597615-post31.html

The DR?s film industry is in its infancy and it is getting some headlines only because of the sudden interest of some of Hollywood?s top guns like Robert DeNiro, Andy Garcia, Vin Diesel, Brad Pit and many others wanting to film in the DR.

http://www.dominicantoday.com/dr/th...Diesel-filming-Hannibal-in-Dominican-Republic

http://www.dominicantoday.com/dr/th...sel-teaches-at-Dominican-Republic-film-school

May 31, 2005
The movie is out. According to the storyline, it does take place in the Dominican Republic for the first 20 minutes of it because Dominic (Vin Diesel) hijacks fuel tanks in the highways of the Dominican Republic. I will go see it because I loved the original movie and this one features the original characters.

Thandie

Bronze
Nov 27, 2007
As an aside - the wife and i watched that and burst out laughing at the Jamaican accent from the hotel receptionist!

That is too funny. You see that all the time in movies. People who are supposed to be from other islands but they magically have a Jamaican accent lol. Pretending to be a Jamaican...What can I say Jamaicans are popular worldwide.
There is a word for that Ja-fakeins. lol

Abuela

Bronze
May 13, 2006
Back to the OP,Michelle Rodriguez who stars in this film was on Jay Leno this week talking about fast & Furious her Indy film Tropico de Sangre she is producing about Minerva Mirabel filmed here in the DR. Rodriguez spent some of her youth here in the DR.
Trópico de sangre (2009)

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Pardon? .....what?.........Why was i not informed immediatly! ;)

He can throw me a line anytime! :cheeky:

Hey I've been told several times that I look like him (I like to think he looks like me since I'm a couple of years older)...so I cannot offer you the money or fame, but...but...:bunny::bunny: