Good router (modem) to use

mcfcfan

Aug 29, 2008
Hi
I'm using a speed touch modem, connected to a D Link router. Unfortunately the wireless connection is not very strong (if I use the laptop in another room I often lose the signal).
Can anyone please recommend a decent combined router/modem , and also where to purchase--I am based in Santo Domingo.

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006
The speedtouch modem is OK, you'll need that for the DSL connection PPoA towards Codetel Backbone, now for the spreading of the signal I'll recommend the Linksys WRT54G Wireless-G. Those does have a stronger signal than the D-links (which I hate with a passion) and are more reliable.

track

Sep 6, 2008
Hi
I'm using a speed touch modem, connected to a D Link router. Unfortunately the wireless connection is not very strong (if I use the laptop in another room I often lose the signal).
Can anyone please recommend a decent combined router/modem , and also where to purchase--I am based in Santo Domingo.

If you have thick concrete walls, then you should install another Access Point near the room or in the room.

Yes, sometimes it's easier for a neighbor to get a better signal, window to window.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
The think concrete walls will make the signal weakers very fast. I also lose almost all of my signal when the signal has to cross through 2 walls. I had the Linksys WRT54G but the damn thing started to turn off and on automaticaly after a year. These linksys routers begin to mal-function after a years worth of non-stop work. My brother had the same problem with the same model router. The belklins have a goopd range and work good but my belkin also got fried after a year in santiago. Other unit is working fine in atlanta. I guess some routers are not very inverter current friendly. Now I have a new NETGEAR WPN824 Wireless-G Mimo RangeMax Router. I works fine and the signal reaches almost everywhere in my house.
here is a picture of it.
Walmart.com: NETGEAR WPN824 Wireless-G Mimo RangeMax Router: Computers

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
The think concrete walls will make the signal weakers very fast. I also lose almost all of my signal when the signal has to cross through 2 walls. I had the Linksys WRT54G but the damn thing started to turn off and on automaticaly after a year. These linksys routers begin to mal-function after a years worth of non-stop work. My brother had the same problem with the same model router. The belklins have a goopd range and work good but my belkin also got fried after a year in santiago. Other unit is working fine in atlanta. I guess some routers are not very inverter current friendly. Now I have a new NETGEAR WPN824 Wireless-G Mimo RangeMax Router. I works fine and the signal reaches almost everywhere in my house.
here is a picture of it.
Walmart.com: NETGEAR WPN824 Wireless-G Mimo RangeMax Router: Computers
Netgear's wireless routers are excellent. Strong signal everywhere.