Traveling w/ Dog

EnclineDesigns

Aug 21, 2007
web.mac.com
Outside of the regulations and rules for bring a pet into the DR, can you share your personal experiences and tips of traveling here with a pet? For example getting through customs at the airports, on the plane etc. I have no idea what to expect.

I'm thinking of bringing our pet to live with us here but I've never traveled on a plane with a dog before. I'm a little nervous about how she is going to react to the trip. Also, I'm hoping she'll behave during the flight etc. Any insight would be appreciated! She's a 6lb Italian Greyhound so at least she is small and hopefully won't be a hassle.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
16 years ago Merengue travelled in the hold all the way from UK-MIA, change flight then MIA-PP (again in the hold). He was an 11 month old Cavalier King Charles Spaniel. We had a friend keep him awake all night before take-off so he was exhausted & slept. No tranquillisers used. He was fine. The dog box had food & water in it.

If you're coming into PP airport Judy Liggio (from The Pet Lodge) does a meet & greet service if you want it - she's a veterinary technician. There is a vet at the airport who will give your dog a checkover & examine the paperwork.

My guess is if you're laidback about the experience your canine companion will be the same ;).

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
Not sure where you are traveling from but from the US a dog that size is a snap. He will be able to ride in the cabin with you under your seat in an airline apporved travel bag (leather or cloth dog bag). There currently is a $100-125 fee for the dog. You also need your papers complete. Then a quick $10 fee upon arrivial and you are done. Your dog will clear customs check before you bags are at the pick up point.
PM me if you want more details. Our 14 pound Havanese travels back and forth all the time with us.

Bob K