New ferry to Miami?????

thomas901

May 4, 2008
someone who's brother works on the ferry from santo domingo to puerto rico told him there's a new ferry service coming soon from DR to miami....anyone know anything about this??? he also said you would be able to bring your car on it. i cant find any info on it through google. but it's supposedly will open up the 15th of this month

Castellamonte

Bronze
Mar 3, 2005
Cabrera
www.villa-castellamonte.com
someone who's brother works on the ferry from santo domingo to puerto rico told him there's a new ferry service coming soon from DR to miami....anyone know anything about this??? he also said you would be able to bring your car on it. i cant find any info on it through google. but it's supposedly will open up the 15th of this month

I haven't heard a peep but something tells me it wouldn't happen. It would be an extremely long trip for a ferry.

LatinoRican

Apr 11, 2004
I live in PR and travel at least 4 times a year to the DR. I have never used the ferry, but someone in my extended Dominican family who has a business transporting merchandise on the ferry has told me that the trip takes so long only because it travels at a reduced speed. The ferry leaves at about 8:00 pm from Mayaguez which is the nearest port to the DR. It could make the trip in much less time, but ferry administrators make extra money at the various bars, discotheque, nightclub, slot machines, gift shops, and other things on the ship. Hence, the sloooow trip until it arrives the next morning in SD. The same thing occurs on the return trip.

thomas901

May 4, 2008
its supposed to be a 2 day trip...and the name was something like "princess of the caribbean" or something close to that.

pyratt

Bronze
Jan 14, 2007
The LAST thing Miami needs is the junk that passes as legal transport in the DR on the streets ....there's enough rolling rehab on I-95 without introducing chopo driven motos on South Beach....that being said, I heard the new ferry is called the "Hispaniola"....

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
I live in PR and travel at least 4 times a year to the DR. I have never used the ferry, but someone in my extended Dominican family who has a business transporting merchandise on the ferry has told me that the trip takes so long only because it travels at a reduced speed. The ferry leaves at about 8:00 pm from Mayaguez which is the nearest port to the DR. It could make the trip in much less time, but ferry administrators make extra money at the various bars, discotheque, nightclub, slot machines, gift shops, and other things on the ship. Hence, the sloooow trip until it arrives the next morning in SD. The same thing occurs on the return trip.
Yes, it's like a poor person's cruise. We enjoyed it. :)

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
Not to Hijack, but there are several S floridans commenting, so do you all remember the Cubans who turned a 4X4 truck into a boat wherby the driveshaft was used as a propellar and drove it accross the gulfstream into U. S waters......it was blue.....never forget it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tamborista

thomas901

May 4, 2008
Not to Hijack, but there are several S floridans commenting, so do you all remember the Cubans who turned a 4X4 truck into a boat wherby the driveshaft was used as a propellar and drove it accross the gulfstream into U. S waters......it was blue.....never forget it.

that is awesome. they deserve to be US citizens for that one.