dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
found a business card of a school i used:
escuela de choferes RICHARD
ave. hermanas mirabal, puerto plata
809 586 5455
cell 809 844 9026 and 809 485 9142.

administrators of the school do not speak english. full driving course was 6300 pesos (all government taxes included).

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
Driving schools in POP are at the base ball court South of the main roundabout coming into town from the East.
They are mandatory if you need to make your DL legally, but I don't think they really TEACH people how they really should drive.
Some people just PAY the school for the lessons and later just retrieve the attestation that they actually took the lessons.

... J-D.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
I can recommend one at the Stadium in Puerta Plata. The name of the school is Escuela de Choferes Jose. I have sent a few people there, and they all learned to drive and got their license.

You can go there, or call Miri at 809-913-8999. Tell Miri Ricardo sent you.

One more thing, you need to speak Spanish if you call her. If not, just go there and tell her I sent you.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
They are mandatory if you need to make your DL legally, but I don't think they really TEACH people how they really should drive.

unfortunately that is so true - lessons are mon-fri and they last about 30 min. one round on the malecon (apparently the schools are not licensed to drive inside the city), then few yards driving backwards and once or twice parallel parking.
no driving lessons at night of after dark, no driving lessons when it rains.
what a school teaches you is how to drive on the malecon with turtle speed in a good weather.
in any case, after you pass examen teorico you get a provisional driving license that lets you drive anywhere providing you are accompanied by a person with valid dominican driving licence. this is the only way you can properly learn how to drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.