Protest in Los Cacicazgos, SD???

Sanation

May 21, 2007
We live in Los Cacicazgos, very close to the Dominican Fiesta Hotel.

We were awoken this mornng at 5:45am to the sound of a large group druming and chanting. Not wanting to run around the streets in my negligee to check out the action, it seemed that the group travelled down C. Cibao East (on the east side of the Hotel) and down to Av. Anacoana.

It was extremely loud and the sound reverberated off the towers on Anacoana, making it even louder. Looking out our window, I could see the lights in many of the apartments going on.

Does anyone know what this was about? Given the early hour of the morning, it seemed they were out to make a point to someone...

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Could it be a protest against the construction of the high-rise towers by the Dominican Fiesta that was in the news a few months ago?

Sanation

May 21, 2007
Could it be a protest against the construction of the high-rise towers by the Dominican Fiesta that was in the news a few months ago?

I thought of that... Usually when there are any meetings or activities planned, the local residents are invited by the 'Action Group'. We didn't receive anything.

The local residents seem a little too 'classy' (or should that be classist!?!?) to be protesting in this manner... then again! ;)

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
It's a bit early in the Christmas season, but there is a Dominican tradition of going house-to-house, drumming and chanting, waking people up and getting them to join the festivities.
There's a name for it, which I can't recall right now.

jaguarbob

Bronze
Mar 2, 2004
dominican tradition there is one about 2 or 3 times a week here in zona colonial,about 5 or 6 in the am lots of drums...yesterday was all police ...others have been religious...but have seen them for last 5 years living here..
bob

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006
It's a bit early in the Christmas season, but there is a Dominican tradition of going house-to-house, drumming and chanting, waking people up and getting them to join the festivities.

Those are Aguinaldos Navide?os but the hour is a little odd, aguinaldos are usually at sunset, not at sunrise.

Sanation

May 21, 2007

If they are going to come visit my house at that hour of the morning, they had better watch out! I'm not a morning person... :cheeky:

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
At 5:45am in the morning?

Well the actual San Andres day was the day before (Nov. 30th.) so they were probably running a little late...........:laugh:. Be thankful it was only drumming - had it been a real San Andres of yore it would have been eggs & flour, I think? Any older Dominicans here who remember this being celebrated in their childhood?

Bryanell

Bronze
Aug 9, 2005
If they are going to come visit my house at that hour of the morning, they had better watch out! I'm not a morning person... :cheeky:

You're lucky it woke you only at 0545!

It was a marching brass band playing "Jingle Bells" They marched past my house a little before 0530, then at 0555 just as I'd dozed off again, and again at 0615. There didn't seem to be anyone following them and chanting down this end of Los Cacis.

Happens every year on 1st December.....welcome to the DR!

Bryan