Got a Great Job Offer in DR but....

DominicanBabe

Apr 28, 2008
...now my mind is going crazy!
Need your advice my friends! Well, I always dreamed of going back to the North Coast of DR. Build a farm, and provide my family with a healthy living. I am fed up with the American Life Style. I go out and all I see if long faces everywhere, it seems everyone is always in a hurry, and in a bad mood. Seem that with all the "Luxury" people have they are never happy.
The way we eat here in the US is so unhealthy (cow meat full of hormones, over process milk, etc.) I wanted to go back to my roots and provide my children with a healthier lifestyle, like the one my grandparents provided me when I was growing in DR. I want my children to learn that mother earth can be generous if we work with her.
My husband has a great career here in the USA, but he always dreamed of one day going to DR and start farming.
Well, I got a great job offer in the DR. If I accept I will have to move to Puerto PLata with my family.
But now I am scare. What if what I always dreamed is not the correct thing to do?
So many things now come to my mind but mainly the well being of my children. The schools, the crime, everything!! (Be careful what you wish for, because you just might get it..LOL)
The attitude of people in the USA sucks, but that should not be the only reason we should make such a big change in our life.

We have land in the North Coast, so that is not an issue. It's that now it hits me that I can do this, but I don't want to put my family future in jeopardy. What if this is not the correct timing to do it?
Please send some light over here...I can't think more!

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
When ever I'm stuck with a situation such as you have I take a peice of paper and write down all the reasons I want/need to do something, then I write the positives and negatives on opposites sides of the paper. If positives out weigh the negatives I start looking at each detail- such as schooling - again weigh the positives - negatives. Do it as a family because your children can be very observant and think about things you never would have. Make sure you have plan A, and Plan B if plan A doesn't work out. Many people can give you advise, will tell you do this or don't do this but in the end in will be a personal decision not to be taken lightly, but then again you only live once. As someone that is aware of the situation in the DR you have the advantage of knowing the language, family connections( might be good or bad), and thus are going with your eyes wide open. In the end it will be two things that will make it or break it sucesswise for most people . How much money do you have and how adaptable are you and your family. Good Luck on making your decision.

Mar 2, 2008
Some questions come to mind. Please, if you wouldn't mind answering them, it would help tremendously.

How long have you lived in the US?

Are both you and your husband originally from the DR?

What would your husband do in Puerta Plata while you worked?

When was the last you visited the DR and for how long?

Do you have family in POP, and what do they think about your possible move??

How old are you children, and how do they feel about moving?

Have you considered other options, in terms of timing and location?

Do you follow the news, as it relates to POP, and have you any thoughts about what changes have occured there?

How long do you have to decide whether to move or not?

Have you sat down with your family and reviewed the pros and cons of such a move?

Thank you.

Answering these questions might help you more than they would help facilitate any feedback from this forum.

But I'd like to see what you came up with for answers anyway.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
We moved here to Santiago from Orlando almost three years ago with our two daughters (now three) and we have no regrets. The girls are getting a good education, are happy and I have a whole lot more time to spend with them.

The most important thing to consider is the dependability of the household income. If it is in fact sufficient and dependable, the next thing to do is find a good safe area and schools and stores nearby to get the things you need. Life here is much more relaxed. True we have more corrption here but other that having to deal with local AMET you will probably never see it.

Search the forums for more info and good luck.

thomas901

May 4, 2008
i see just as many long faces if not more here in DR than back in the US. try moving somewhere else in the US. maybe its where you are living.

Ceasar Garcia

Oct 1, 2008
Make sure you get a work contract and have your ATTY. look it over. Re-new it every year. Ask if they supply Health Care Ins. for you and, your Family. Check out your perks. Get them all in writing.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
A general motivational post

Treat this dilemma like you would treat the start up of a business.

1. If you are going to sit back and wait for "the right time" to do anything, then forget about it. You might as well be truthful to yourself and accept that you will never make the decision to do whatever it is you want to do, in this case, move back to the North Coast. There is no such thing as the "right time"; you have to make a decision, develop a plan, and put the plan into action as soon as you finish developing it regardless if you feel the time is right or not. I say this because usually when people talk about the "right time", more often than not they are doubting their ability to succeed.

If you are determined to make this work for you and you have an unshakable character to back it up, then you must know that the right time is whenever you decide to put your plans into action and stick to them until it comes true.

So, that thing about waiting for the "right time", its either now or never!

There are two types of people in this world, those who like to "feel their way" through life and those who take charge of their destiny and leave nothing to chance. If you can, be the latter.

Judging from what you said in your original post, you have been dreaming of an opportunity to go back to the north coast. You hate where you are, love where you want to be, and apparently, the only thing keeping you from being where you want to be was the lack of an opportunity that's so clear, so obvious, so made for you.

Well, after much thinking about it, the opportunity is now knocking on your door.

You can either open it or leave it shut, but remember; if you open it, the potential rewards are great. If you leave it closed, you will only be thinking to yourself "what if I had taken the opportunity?" time and time again, like a broken record.

Its much better to try and lose, then to not try and wonder what if. Its even better to try and win, but for this last one, you have to be sure that you will "win" before you even embark on the journey.

Don't belittle your ambition with excuses, and don't be afraid of taking the opportunity you had been asking for, wishing for, dreaming for so long.

Its here, the opportunity you been waiting for and been yearning for is knocking, take it with the confidence that you will take charge to make it work or reject it forever.

Someone will take advantage of this opportunity, make sure its you.

If you really want it, if you really really want it; its yours.

When you want something, when you really want it and ask for it; opportunities and doors open your way almost like magic. When you really want it, you will find the solutions to every obstacle that present itself attempting to convince you otherwise.

The right time is now.

The question now is.... do you really want it?

Like I said in the beginning, treat this as if you are starting a new business venture.

The best time to do it is when you decide to do it with the assurance that you will prevail.

-NALs

Last edited:
Reactions: AlaninDR

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Good Post NALS

Be confident in your decision. Part of Rudyard Kiplings Poem [IF]

If you can dream--and not make dreams your master,
If you can think--and not make thoughts your aim;
If you can meet with Triumph and Disaster
And treat those two impostors just the same;
If you can bear to hear the truth you've spoken
Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools,
Or watch the things you gave your life to, broken,
And stoop and build 'em up with worn-out tools:

If you can make one heap of all your winnings
And risk it all on one turn of pitch-and-toss,
And lose, and start again at your beginnings
And never breath a word about your loss;
If you can force your heart and nerve and sinew
To serve your turn long after they are gone,
And so hold on when there is nothing in you
Except the Will which says to them: "Hold on!"

--Rudyard Kipling

Thandie

Bronze
Nov 27, 2007
Be confident in your decision. Part of Rudyard Kiplings Poem [IF]

If you can dream--and not make dreams your master,
If you can think--and not make thoughts your aim;
If you can meet with Triumph and Disaster
And treat those two impostors just the same;
If you can bear to hear the truth you've spoken
Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools,
Or watch the things you gave your life to, broken,
And stoop and build 'em up with worn-out tools:

If you can make one heap of all your winnings
And risk it all on one turn of pitch-and-toss,
And lose, and start again at your beginnings
And never breath a word about your loss;
If you can force your heart and nerve and sinew
To serve your turn long after they are gone,
And so hold on when there is nothing in you
Except the Will which says to them: "Hold on!"

--Rudyard Kipling

One of my favourite poems!

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
DominicanBabe,
How about minimizing the risk with a one foot in, one foot out trial period?

Husband stays with kids in U.S. for 4-8 weeks while you come, make sure the job is 'for real' and that all seems okay. If it is, hubby quits his good job & brings the kids. If it's not all okay for whatever reason you head back to the U.S. & other than you being unemployed when you get there, all is as it was?

DominicanBabe

Apr 28, 2008
NALs, Thanks so much! Thank You Everyone.
Sorry it took me while to reply, I was in bed sick for days.
I have a lot to think about. We have exactly 2 months to come up with an answer....so we are analyzing everything. All you thoughts are being considered, thanks.
I will keep you updated on this.
THANK YOU ALL

DominicanBabe

Apr 28, 2008
CFA123,
Yes, I think that is the perfect option, THANKS! I talked about it with my husband, and I think doing this is a possibility.

DominicanBabe

Apr 28, 2008
Lambada,
Thanks for your reply. I am a little scare, that;s all. It seems that a negative "wave" just hit me this past couple of years. So that causes me to be a little nervous. For the past years I have been devoted to my family 100% and now an opportunity for ME comes knocking. It seems I forgot what it is to do something for myself.
There are many factors pushing us to DR and others grabbing us here in the USA. ( I will sit down and write more later) .
Thanks sweetie!
THANK YOU ALL IN THIS FORUM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!