BBQ Grills

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
I'm looking for a decent, home sized BBQ Grill. I have a cheapie that cooks like crap; I'm officially over it :(. I've seen mega gas grills at Ochoa and Bellon, I've seen 55g drum grills on the streets, but few decent quality home grills, like a Weber or clone. I can have one shipped....for $US75+grill cost :surprised...ouch!

Where do y'all suggest I look? I'd even settle for a half drum grill from a metal worker, but a 55g is way too big.

Any suggestions of a store or someone who makes decent charcoal grills?

TIA

tflea

Bronze
Jun 11, 2006
Oye Beto

I used to use a 30 gallon barrel, cut in half, couple of props for the grill inside, legs welded on, Dominican style. Nowhere close to the Weber I was used to, but now I use the clay over block, typical style here, put a grill on it, use natural charcoal, a hot fire and I haven't had any complaints from the tasters. Put a big aluminum pan underneath to catch the residue, makes for an easy clean up of the ashes. Filete de res from the mercado and I'm happy with it all. Grills rust so fast here, and replacement parts make a good Weber or such more complicated for general use......but then, you're not so close to the seabreezes, so maybe it's a different story in the mountains there.
Happy grillin' and happy ridin'.

Aug 21, 2007
I have seen Weber grills at the Patio Works store in Sosua. Don't know if they still have them. Can't beat a Weber.

sollie

Jul 30, 2006
CB,
Consider one made of masonry. From what I have seen there are some decent masons in the DR. Of course it would be a permanent fixture but one that could add to to beauty of a patio or backyard. And one could be designed to serve as a grill and a smoker. Just a thought.

Ceasar Garcia

Oct 1, 2008
I bought a gas grill last year from Americana. The kind Wal-Mart would sell for under 100 dollars cost me 8,000 pesos but, came with the tank. With my Americana discount card I got a 10 % discount. Very happy because, they carry replacement parts. I know it is expensive but, cook every thing on the BBQ. Even cakes and homemade bread. There is a secret to using it like an oven. I only have a stove top for boiling water. I can tell you the secret. Chef by trade.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
CB,
Consider one made of masonry. From what I have seen there are some decent masons in the DR. Of course it would be a permanent fixture but one that could add to to beauty of a patio or backyard. And one could be designed to serve as a grill and a smoker. Just a thought.
If I owned the house, that's definitely what I'd do.

aross

Nov 15, 2007
CB,

Yes, when they are constructed and designed properly they can add to the aesthetics of a house. However, make sure the mason knows what he is doing. We had to have our contractor tear ours down and rebuild it 3 times before it would draw up the chimney properly.

Boricuajoe

Dec 30, 2004
I bought a Charbroil 4 burner, side burner grill, auto ignition Stainless Steel 48,000 BTU unit at Home Depot in New York for $150 US. I had it shipped for $300 and it was delivered to my house. The same unit at Price- Mart in Santiago sells for $35,000. I love it and use it daily. Replacement parts are easy as it is sold locally.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
I bought a gas grill last year from Americana. The kind Wal-Mart would sell for under 100 dollars cost me 8,000 pesos but, came with the tank. With my Americana discount card I got a 10 % discount. Very happy because, they carry replacement parts. I know it is expensive but, cook every thing on the BBQ. Even cakes and homemade bread. There is a secret to using it like an oven. I only have a stove top for boiling water. I can tell you the secret. Chef by trade.

Why don't you just tell us what the famous "secret" is...I hate when people do that. If you don't want to say why even mention it...

Ceasar Garcia

Oct 1, 2008
A chef doesn't like to tell all. But here is what I do. I make like a double boiler out of it. I will take a tray put water in it about 1/4 full. Then what ever I want to cook like bread, cakes, is not directly on the open fire. You may need to turn your item once to get even cooking results.

Reactions: jrhartley

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
Update: I found a Weber clone in La Vega, RD$2400. Tried it last nite, baked some ribs very slowly in the oven for 2.5 hours, then finished them on the new grill:
OvenRibs.jpg

Not too bad...

I'm back in the grillin' biz with this one, until mine from the states gets here...

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
Update: I found a Weber clone in La Vega, RD$2400. Tried it last nite, baked some ribs very slowly in the oven for 2.5 hours, then finished them on the new grill:
OvenRibs.jpg

Not too bad...

I'm back in the grillin' biz with this one, until mine from the states gets here...

yummmmmm...those look good!

Is the "clone" you found a knock-off of the classic "smokey joe" grill? how's the quality...does it seem durable?

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
yummmmmm...those look good!

Is the "clone" you found a knock-off of the classic "smokey joe" grill? how's the quality...does it seem durable?
It's a no-name semi-clone of the classic 22" Weber, but doesn't have the lid hanger. The "bowl" seems to be rugged, the legs and grill/charcoal grates areas less so but adequate. Has the variable air vents and ash chatcher, two wheels and a rack below. Overall, for the price, a decent buy.
Grill.jpg

GrillI.jpg

The total shipping costs including EPS for the same Weber was around $150 plus grill ($90). So I'm definitely OK with it for $US71.

It's the only one this small store had, complete with some spider webs. I have no idea where others may be available.

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
It's a no-name semi-clone of the classic 22" Weber, but doesn't have the lid hanger. The "bowl" seems to be rugged, the legs and grill/charcoal grates areas less so but adequate. Has the variable air vents and ash chatcher, two wheels and a rack below. Overall, for the price, a decent buy.
Grill.jpg

GrillI.jpg

The total shipping costs including EPS for the same Weber was around $150 plus grill ($90). So I'm definitely OK with it for $US71.

It's the only one this small store had, complete with some spider webs. I have no idea where others may be available.

Looks like a great deal...That classic design is the best all-around charcoal grill you can use...

thomas901

May 4, 2008
la sirena off of (i think) churchill and ferreteria americana on jfk have a few different selections of grills. i bought one like the type in the pictures for 3,000 pesos at la sirena (saw the same one at americana, dont know price) that included side shelves and an ash catcher on the bottom which i guess can be used to get more coals ready if needed. ferreteria americana also sells woodchips for smoking