dead horse

iluvsosua

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 17, 2008
this past weekend, i was driving to and from sosua to caberete to drop my friend off at surf camp. Early in the a.m. someone hit and killed a horse in the middle of the road. Later in the day, same horse was moved to the side of the road in one big ball...how sad and pathetic. Then later on around 6pm....same horse still there. What is up with that? Things like this remind me of this third world country I will have to continue to visit every month....does no one care or do Anything about the animals? About the cows and horses on the streets, about the dogs and cats running wild? not to mention the chickens???

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
some people find it charming ....not the dead horse lol i mean the roaming chickens and cows

Sep 19, 2005
I T -Boned a horse on my first trip renting a car...good thing I had a huge Mitubishi Limited.......the guy ran one way the horse flopped around and I drove off the other way....

bad bob

AlaninDR

Mr. Chunky Skin
Dec 17, 2002
If the sight of a dead horse offends you then do something about it.
Maybe you can volunteer at Judy's Pet Lodge and do something about the dogs and cats running wild.
You need to realize this is a third world country and you survive on your wits or ability to roll with the punches. Lack of that understanding is why some people leave after being here a short time.

Reactions: drloca

iluvsosua

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 17, 2008
Ok, the chickens running around are kinda cute. However, the horse thing just breaks my heart. If I was residing there, I would be more than happy to dedicate my spare time to the animals..I am only in town once a month. It just kills me to see how careless people are with their pets. I know I know...I need to get over it.

bryan1258

Bronze
Dec 24, 2007
Ok, the chickens running around are kinda cute. However, the horse thing just breaks my heart. If I was residing there, I would be more than happy to dedicate my spare time to the animals..I am only in town once a month. It just kills me to see how careless people are with their pets. I know I know...I need to get over it.

Wow....if the pets and livestock freak you out you should check out an orphanage. I'm sure you'ld get your priorities straight.

sammystorm19

Apr 8, 2007
I have seen this many times. When I was driving from Sosua to POP back and forth a few weeks ago, we saw a dead dog. It was there all four days we drove past it. If it wasn't so mangled I would have done something, but the poor thing was probably there for a few days before I even saw it.

The smell on driving on the bike though....omg!!! It was bad and I always forogt where it was, so when we drove past it I almost lost it a few times.

It is sad and like AlaninDR said, there are places and people that do care.

Cheers
Erin

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
it's a shame to see animals on the road like that.

but if that freaks you out, wait until you see a dead person on the road. i've seen 2 or 3 that were hit and killed the night before and noone knew it until daybreak.
now that's disgusting.

Mar 2, 2008
Anyone who has driven at night in the DR knows what Kyle is talking about, and why.

While traveling by car to STI late at night, with my good friend driving, we witnessed two apparently drunk men laying in the road. They had passed out, or had fallen asleep, right where cars could have easily run over them.

On that particular night, it just happened that they were easily spotted, but on a rainy night, or in a foggy patch, the ability to see someone laying the road might not be so obvious.

There have also been many instances when I have witnessed people walking in the road at night, wearing dark clothing, and seemingly oblivious to passing cars. These instances I mention might be anomalies, but my guess is they are the norm.

Please use caution while driving at night in the DR.

Sep 19, 2005
I think the dead horse laying in the road unclaimed has more than one plausible reason for still being there for a long time.

One. the country isnt so bad off they would resort to eating a freshly killed animal on the road...thank go too! so what can anyone do? they certainly dont want the work of cleaning it up thats for sure...

they ignore it.

the other reason is responsiblility....believe it or not the animals owner is liable for damages to the vehicle that killed it. that is why the owner of the horse i hit ran the other way.

my buddy( dominican) hit a cow once and totalled the front end of his SUV smashed the windshield as well...people gathered around and he asked who ownes the cows. no one said anything...

he walked into the field and shot a healhty one in the head, and asked again who owns the cows...still no one said anything( as if NONE KNEW) so he shot another in the head....hey he is dominican...

the owner did not have the money to fix the car..so he shut up and his friends shut up and he had to sit quiet while he lost a few more cows to an angry man.

there is just so many things that are out of perspective in the DR compared to other more structured countries. You have to envelope yourself in their reasonings and lifestyle to get a clue as to why they do the things they do there.

bad bad bob

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
it's a shame to see animals on the road like that.

but if that freaks you out, wait until you see a dead person on the road. i've seen 2 or 3 that were hit and killed the night before and noone knew it until daybreak.
now that's disgusting.
Why didn't you let the policia know? Did you just drive on by?

We saw a person laying by a very dark stretch of the road going to Jarabacoa late one night. I couldn't tell what condition, but saw no blood. We didn't stop, for fear of a set-up (folks jumping out of the darkness with ill intent on Good Samaritans, using a "body" as bait), but let the folks at a busy colmado 2 miles down the road know, and they called the policia or went back as a group themselves. By the time we got to Jarabacoa 10 minutes later, the policia had already been dispatched from El Montana. Word spread fast

Last edited:

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
There have also been many instances when I have witnessed people walking in the road at night, wearing dark clothing, and seemingly oblivious to passing cars. These instances I mention might be anomalies, but my guess is they are the norm.

Please use caution while driving at night in the DR.
Krunk, word, ditto. I see that every time we drive at night. Almost killed 3 folks one night, driving slowly in the left lane on a pasola, all three dressed in dark clothing, no lights on the pasola, in a driving rain. I think I posted about it.

Drunks pushing and shoving at colmados right on the street, I've come close to hitting a few. I've learned to slow waaaaay down at night when approaching them, especially Friday and Saturday night.

I try NOT to drive at night. That seems to be when bad stuff happens on the roads. PLUS, the drunks...