Job prospects in DR

martynandmary

Nov 20, 2008
Hi, I'm toying with the idea of moving to the DR, Before you all start laughing and reaching for your keyboards, I have visited the country and intend to do so many times before making a decision, and yes I have moved to, lived in and worked in countrys other than my native England before, At the moment I reside in France and have done for the last 3 years, But here in North West France the weather is terrible, I did concider moving to the south but after a few trips decided it was not for me or my family. I've seen the very active threads on "How much it costs to live in DR" and regarding this I am O.K because I own a company in the U.K which as long as I do the paperwork and the manager does his job pays me enough money to survive, But as I am ONLY 42 for my own sanity, health and extra spending money I still need to and enjoy doing a "proper job"
So the question is, What chance does a 42 year young man with years served in the hospitality business and also transport and logistics, good with people, can be smart on a good day, French speaking, some German, keen scuba diver and interested in all water sports But also willing to try, but more importantly commit to any decent job, have of finding one in the DR
Cheers Martyn

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
Hi, I'm toying with the idea of moving to the DR, Before you all start laughing and reaching for your keyboards, I have visited the country and intend to do so many times before making a decision, and yes I have moved to, lived in and worked in countrys other than my native England before, At the moment I reside in France and have done for the last 3 years, But here in North West France the weather is terrible, I did concider moving to the south but after a few trips decided it was not for me or my family. I've seen the very active threads on "How much it costs to live in DR" and regarding this I am O.K because I own a company in the U.K which as long as I do the paperwork and the manager does his job pays me enough money to survive, But as I am ONLY 42 for my own sanity, health and extra spending money I still need to and enjoy doing a "proper job"
So the question is, What chance does a 42 year young man with years served in the hospitality business and also transport and logistics, good with people, can be smart on a good day, French speaking, some German, keen scuba diver and interested in all water sports But also willing to try, but more importantly commit to any decent job, have of finding one in the DR
Cheers Martyn

Ok, so you speak French, some German and obviously at least write English quite well. The question is... how's your SPANISH? Because, down here, in most cases if your Spanish is not good you will most likely not fit in anywhere.

Hotel jobs? I don't know, you may not like the pay, unless you are offered the director's job... highly unlikely.
Maybe, since you are into water sports, you might want to concentrate on the kite surfing and diving outfits around Cabarete.... every now and then, they've posted looking for people.

Don't expect too many potential employers to go "oooh, ahh" over your qualifications and organization skills... they usually are rather interested to find out if you have any money they could "manage" for you in one more of their lost cause "proyecto".

... J-D.

AK74

On Vacation!
Jun 18, 2007
Cheers Martyn

From what I observe in many expats` experience - this country is for expats with money, who can afford just LIVE here, without earning for living.

Those (mostly 20-year-olders ) who tried to settle in the worry-free paradise without enough savings for this - sooner or later quit and go back to their home countries.
If it were possible just to move here and make sufficient money for living in DR - the whole World population by now would live here, in this beautiful place with endless summer, beaches, all-night-long discos and lack of stress. The reality is different.

Hopefully your case will be a nice exception- Good Luck!

danely

Apr 23, 2004
Gosh, I can't think of a good way to do this...unless... you buy yourself a job. By that I mean start your own business of some kind, or buy, or lease an existing one. All over the world I have noticed that as the most common way for foreigners to "plug-in" to another country. Some of them even do pretty well at it. Pretty much every paradise spot I have been to has at least a couple of successful expat operations, local pub'n grub, diving outfit, parasailing, the usual.

Maybe you could find somebody who wants to be an "investor", and have him buy up a small hotel or whatever, and you run it.

But, even this would be a very tough go without Spanish in the DR. I would definitely become competent in Spanish before trying to run a business....hope you succeed !