natural peanut butter?

retiree

Bronze
Jan 18, 2008
Is it possible to find natural peanut butter on the north coast or even in Santiago? We used to buy a local peanut butter in Sosua that did not have hydrogenated oil or sugar added but cannot find it anymore. Would love to find one containing only peanuts.

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
In Haiti, they make the "mamba". It is natural peanut butter... Very good ! You might find it at the border, or in the Haitian part of the Mercado Modelo in the Capital...

Reactions: FernieBee

Ceasar Garcia

Oct 1, 2008
There is a Supermarket in Monte Cristi Called Lilo's that used to carry it. Send me some. Very good. No sugar or salt. Where do you live. I have a friend that lives there. But I live in the Capital.

retiree

Bronze
Jan 18, 2008
I live in Sosua and the markets here used to carry the peanut butter made here in the DR but I can't find it anymore (I have asked that they get it back - we shall see). Very good stuff - you have to mix it in another container after you open it but it is worth it - so much better than the sugar/sucrose and oil you have added in the better known U.S. brands but I guess it is not very popular with the folks around here.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
One of the local health food brands (Granix?) used to do a sugar-free version.

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
You can make it yourself by just putting peanuts in a food processor and keep hitting pulse until you get your preferred consistency.

anng3

Bronze
Jan 12, 2007
I was also thinking making it would be an option. I was at the large Playero today in Sosua and they had Peter Pan no sugar no fat.

FernieBee

Bronze
Feb 20, 2008
Peanut butter and Nutella sandwiches are great!

34hz154.jpg

30wkuc1.jpg

2pynbyx.jpg

Yum!

CG

Bronze
Sep 16, 2004
Helps if you add a little bit of oil while processing your p-nuts, peanut oil is best but have never found it here. you can add a bit of honey or maple syrup to sweeten it if you like.... have fun.

cg

FernieBee

Bronze
Feb 20, 2008
Make Your Own Peanut Butter

With just three ingredients, you can make your own natural peanut butter at home. The oil and salt are optional, so you can make it with just peanuts, too!

Ingredients:

* 1 cup roasted peanuts
* 1 1/2 teaspoons oil (peanut oil preferred)
* 1/4 teaspoon salt

Preparation:

Put all ingredients in a blender or a food processor.

Blend until mixture is spreadable.

You may need to stop blending and scrape the sides occassionally.

Store the mix in the refrigerator.

If the oil and peanut butter separate, stir before serving.

link