Spearfishing in DR

dauphin

Dec 3, 2008
what are the best places for this sport? I might be going to Bavaro, Punta Cana.... is it good in terms of variety? quantity? is it legal to hunt lobster? and what about ciguatera? is it very common?

Peace!

track

Sep 6, 2008
what are the best places for this sport? I might be going to Bavaro, Punta Cana.... is it good in terms of variety? quantity? is it legal to hunt lobster? and what about ciguatera? is it very common?

Peace!

Montecristi, Yes, No, NO*, Don't know, No**

*Please Check if laws are applied in DR and below 100ft. under water.
**Yes, but not for sports.

dauphin

Dec 3, 2008
so it seems that it's not possible to make a living out of spearfishing around Bavaro huh? :( oh well, guess I'll be forced to buy my fish!!! still I heard there are a few good places around Bavaro...well I guess I'll find that out soon hopefully

Ceasar Garcia

Oct 1, 2008
Monte Cristi, you would be better off of Playa Buen Hombre. Go to Monte Cristi ask about El Guy. He runs a empanada stand there. Tell him you know Capt. Rob. He can hook you up. He speaks perfect English. There is a place after the airport there I cannot remember the name. The biggest Clams you have ever seen. El Guy's name is Raul. He lives by Chic Hotel. If you want to charter boat fishing here contact me.

track

Sep 6, 2008
what about Montecristi? how good is the spearfishing there?

Dude, Spearfishing, should not be a sport at all, I mean, you aim at the fish and they don't have no idea what's going to happen to them. Try to fish them from a boat, and see how good you are.

Ceasar Garcia

Oct 1, 2008
hahaha you ever try to out swim a fish ? once they see one of their buddys shot beleive me they know what's up.

dauphin

Dec 3, 2008
Dude, Spearfishing, should not be a sport at all, I mean, you aim at the fish and they don't have no idea what's going to happen to them. Try to fish them from a boat, and see how good you are.

With all due respect my dear friend...you should consider you have to dive in their enviroment, get close enough, not to scare the fish away and shoot it in the right spot otherwise it will attack you or carry you to the depth considering the size...and still you might have to fight with it...all this while holding your breath (spearfishing while scuba makes no sense and it's not the true sport)....fishing on a boat while smoking a cigar or drinking a beer can't be more challenging...of course I respect line fishing and fishermen but you have to consider the whole picture....

corsair74

Bronze
Jul 3, 2006
With all due respect my dear friend...you should consider you have to dive in their enviroment, get close enough, not to scare the fish away and shoot it in the right spot otherwise it will attack you or carry you to the depth considering the size...and still you might have to fight with it...all this while holding your breath (spearfishing while scuba makes no sense and it's not the true sport)....fishing on a boat while smoking a cigar or drinking a beer can't be more challenging...of course I respect line fishing and fishermen but you have to consider the whole picture....

You forgot to mention the sharks. LOL!!!

But seriously. Didn't someone catch a 700 pounder off the coast of SD?

That's a lotta shark my friend.

Vince.

dauphin

Dec 3, 2008
ah yes! let's not forget about them!
here's a quick video you can check as reference:

YouTube - pesca submarina - tiburon robando la pesca

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/tbiZjWO6qQw&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/tbiZjWO6qQw&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

corsair74

Bronze
Jul 3, 2006
@#%&#

Holy Hells Alive!!!

Uh, yeah. I guess it's safe to say that deep sea spearfisherman tienen cojones GRANDE!:pirate:

Vince.

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
good video.
respect to the guy who was filming.
we do it here in PC, too, sometimes.
the difference is that the very most sharks you'll find around are much bigger.
we have deep water right away on the outer side of the barrier reef which separates PC beaches from the open water.
there's not much which can top the feeling when in the water with a couple dozens of 500 lbs'ers circeling around.
i just don't wait til they attack,
heck, they are always hungry.
good luck
Mike

track

Sep 6, 2008

I must apologize, after seen the video. I'm a diver myself, I just realized my PADI certification should be something like "I want to be a diver". All I've seen is a big barracuda, never a shark!

It's not a sport, it should be classified as some suicide. .... thing!