iPhone finally here!

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
As of 12.01am midnight tonight, Claro and Orange will be selling the iPhone G3. As soon as I have details on the pricing etc, I'll post here.

TheHun

May 4, 2008
Do you think that previously purchased 3Gs will work on their network with a simple SIM replacement? Or perhaps they will able to open it ? I have a 3G collecting dust now cause I did not want to f^%k it up with a ghost sim.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Hun, I know some tigres in santiago that can unlock it for you. Contact me.
AZB

TheHun

May 4, 2008
As of 12.01am midnight tonight, Claro and Orange will be selling the iPhone G3. As soon as I have details on the pricing etc, I'll post here.

I'm wondering about the map / gps function. It's working perfect in the US.
The real time traffic info would be pointless in the DR anyway... ;)
I guess there was no way to miss the xmas season - even with some missing functions - it use to be or maybe still a MS strategy. :D :D
I'd bet the price won't be under US$ 500.00.
Well, what can I do? I'm addicted to apples....

TheHun

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
I just upgraded my Blackberry Pearl to the BB Curve...Ive been toying with the idea of the iphone 3G...I have until tomorrow to return it, if the pricing is reasonable and they are available right away, I may do it...

TheHun

May 4, 2008
Will be interesting to see what happens here.

I heard the new 3G was not easy to unlock, but I see a few sites offering unlock options.

iPhone 3G Unlock - The ONLY RELIABLE 3G iPhone Unlock!

Has anyone here unlocked their G3 iPhone?

Robert,
It's only a piggyback sim or ghost sim. I know some guys who's phone got fried by it or the sim stuck in the phone. A friend of my told me about a week ago that there is a company who sell good piggy back sims, which will work on the 2.1 version only so far and thin enough so it won't stuck.
I'd hate to be the first to write a negative feedback on it ;)
Let's hope that the O/S software for the claro/orange can be cloned - even if it won't unlock it, only makes it work on claro, I'll be happy.

TheHun

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
I have been waiting forever........did they JUST get them because I went on Tuesday and they told me that they didn't have any.......
Someone please find out the price, I am in NYC

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
I just upgraded my Blackberry Pearl to the BB Curve...Ive been toying with the idea of the iphone 3G...I have until tomorrow to return it, if the pricing is reasonable and they are available right away, I may do it...
I had a Blackberry Curve, fine phone. My partner, a big long-time Blackberry fan, just got a G1 Android, the new "Google phone". Has much of the whiz-bang iPhone features with a...*gasp*...full qwerty keyboard. His comments:
fasteddiedee said:
Pluses:

Touch Screen - with - a full qwerty below it... the reason I would never own an iphone... no "real" keyboard.
Web browser - better than the iphone
Applications load quickly
User interface - simple - straight forward - intuitive
Feels "solid" fit and finish...
Instant weather and storm tracking information world wide overlayed on google maps.
Free GPS tracking application that uploads right to google maps ...
Free NFL play by play application with tracking per team.
The "market" application - basically free applications games etc.
Total Google suite integration - email - calender - blog - translation - adwords - check out - etc.

Downers:
No direct Exchange support - does have POP and IMAP support
No blackberry client - apparently there will be one soon
Screen is a bit smaller than the iphone

I came up with a work around for the calender, basically an auto sync between Exchange and Google Calender, if a change is made to either, they update each other.

He says it's Linux based, so there are a ton of free apps with many more in the pipeline. He's quite the techie geek...

BTW- our tour blog (Dominican Republic Tours Blog) was updated with pics and GPS position in real time from his Android. Pretty damn slick to do all that from a small cell phone from a motorcycle...

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
How much do we have to pay for the phone apart from the plan?
i am waiting on the Chinese copy of iphone M88. this one is even better than the real Iphone.
AZB

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
This phone is beautiful!

HTC ? Touch Phone, PDA Phone, Smartphone, Mobile Computer: Products ? T-Mobile G1: Specification

Is your partner is using this with Claro? Do you know what kind of data/voice plan he's using?

If there's blackberry support in the pipeline, I will probably wait for that...but this seems like a true "best of both worlds" phone with the big touchscreen *and* qwerty keyboard...add BB push email and... wow...

BTW, they seem to be going for $400-$500 on ebay, new and unlocked

May 12, 2005
I have the iPhone 3G here in NY. I got it over the summer when it first came out. I absolutely love it. One of the best purchases I made.

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
i am waiting on the Chinese copy of iphone M88. this one is even better than the real Iphone.
AZB
Besides price, what makes it bette?

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Besides price, what makes it bette?

It has windows mobile 6 and java so the program options are endless, games as well. you can run msn, skype (iphone can't) etc on it. It has FM radio (iphone doesn't), the sound is louder and better than iphone, its unlocked, quad band, has wifi, gps (useless here at the moment), expandable memory (iphone is fixed memory), it has 3G internet (but like iphone, its expensive to use in DR), It has a 2 meg pix camera and it can record videos (iphone can't).
Its sold for under 200 dollars.
Now compare this to iphone anywhere?
Remember, the phone has to be M88 to be used in DR because the clone T32 is the same as M88 but its triband so it can't be used on 850 mhz range (example claro).
AZB

Reactions: rellosk

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
This phone is beautiful!

HTC ? Touch Phone, PDA Phone, Smartphone, Mobile Computer: Products ? T-Mobile G1: Specification

Is your partner is using this with Claro? Do you know what kind of data/voice plan he's using?

If there's blackberry support in the pipeline, I will probably wait for that...but this seems like a true "best of both worlds" phone with the big touchscreen *and* qwerty keyboard...add BB push email and... wow...

BTW, they seem to be going for $400-$500 on ebay, new and unlocked
He has T-Moble in NJ where he's from. It defaulted to Claro while roaming...where they had a signal. The mointains and a lot of Samana had none.

I agree, it seems the best of both worlds: slick graphic presentation with a full keyboard.

Supposedly there is BB support in the short-term pipeline.

TheHun

May 4, 2008
AZB

AZB,

The M88 is out already. Have you order it yet? It's around $ 250 on ebay.

TheHun