Cell Phones for use in the DR

boca chica dave

Sep 25, 2004
Are all GSM cell phones able to be used in the DR. Is it necessary to change the SIM card? What would this and activation cost? Thanks

sammystorm19

Apr 8, 2007
If you have an unlocked cell phone Orange charges about 350 pesos to get a phone number, SIM card and some airtime. You will need to bring your passport or other ID with you to get it.

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
most US carriers will work on the DR as "roaming". It's pretty expensive, but uses your US number. Check with your provider before you leave to make sure it's available and ask for a discounted International Roaming plan/rate.

if you're phone's not unlocked, and most aren't unless you bought it specifically that way or had someone do it, you can get a new cheapie phone from claro (or orange I think) for around the same 350 pesos you'd pay (maybe a bit more) for a new sim with number.

Drro

Bronze
Mar 22, 2006
I have Viva and had to have my phone unlocked for I think about $9 at an internet cafe across from Super Super and then for 100 pesos to Viva I got service and I could choose the last 4 digits of my number. I'm very pleased with them and their customer service. I had to call and only speak English and they put me through to someone and she took care of me right then and there. I had scratched off the number so bad it couldn't be read on one of the prepaid cards.