revista

Status
Not open for further replies.

morlandg

Feb 20, 2007
Can anyone tell me what the revista is that I see on car windscreens? And if I need one how do I get it?

liam1

Bronze
Jun 9, 2004
you for sure need one. actually two, one is a square sticker and the 2nd one is a round sticker. i got mine straight from an AMET cop in Sosua, and the 2nd one from the little DMW office across the police station. i'm not sure where do you live.

morlandg

Feb 20, 2007
you for sure need one. actually two, one is a square sticker and the 2nd one is a round sticker. i got mine straight from an AMET cop in Sosua, and the 2nd one from the little DMW office across the police station. i'm not sure where do you live.
Thanks liam - I'll do the same as you
Graham

liam1

Bronze
Jun 9, 2004
The fat AMET cop who's always directing traffic arcoss the Texaco station in Sosua sold me mine, it was around 300 pesos. the other was was around 1200.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
The fat AMET cop who's always directing traffic arcoss the Texaco station in Sosua sold me mine, it was around 300 pesos. the other was was around 1200.

300 pesos is a nice little mark up for the AMET cop - the cost of a revista if you apply via Transito Terrestre is 45 pesos tax (payable at BanReservas). :cheeky:

Last edited:

liam1

Bronze
Jun 9, 2004
could be. he wrote on the recipt i paid 300, and i remember last year i paid around 300 too.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
could be. he wrote on the recipt i paid 300, and i remember last year i paid around 300 too.

The official tax was 45 pesos last year as well. And the year before. Going back earlier it was 30 pesos. You can check it here:
Secretaria de Estado de Obras P?blicas y Comunicaciones

It's an interesting issue because it appears the AMET cop is......er.......moonlighting. As it's Sosua where a lot of foreigners live who maybe don't know how to get their revista through official channels, I'm sure it is profitable for him.

Question is, do we report this so as not to play into the corruption here?

liam1

Bronze
Jun 9, 2004
with all due respect to them, if the Dominicans are not fighting the corruption in their own land, why should we? learn and move on.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
with all due respect to them, if the Dominicans are not fighting the corruption in their own land, why should we? learn and move on.

If 25 Gringos read this and don't pay this AMET ladrone a 700% premium it makes a small difference in controlling corruption.

If you steal and don't get caught, it's still considered stealing where I come from.

t'

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
There are many Dominicans and community organisations who are active against corruption & politicians like Senator Wilton Guerrero who put themselves at considerable risk in this quest (thread in Government Forum) albeit on issues far more important than revistas. Some expats choose to support them, others do not.

I don't wish to take this thread off topic but the AMET gentleman shouldn't be too difficult to identify from the description given here ;) so many thanks for that.

ben oregon

Apr 20, 2008
coruption is a "virus" ,If you don't controle it ,than it will spread larger and larger till it become a major paine in the A...!

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
Lambada,
Like you I used to pay the 45 pesos and get my own. However for us that meant a trip to Puerto Plata to have the car "inspected". YOu also need to make sure you have a first aid kit and a reflector incase they really do decide to inspect the car when you get there. This year the cost of gas at the time I got mine was about $200 RD a gallon and it would take about 2 gallons to get there. So let see $45 for the tax + 400 for gas + 3 hours of my time (priceless :) =$445+. So why not spend the $300 (i actually spent $250) and save time and money????
I know if fosters the corruption factor, but you and I both know it will never go away, it is a way of life here.

BobK

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
I know why people do it, BobK, and I do not judge. I merely comment. But since you know the official system & you know that when paying the tax at BanReservas you need to present your cedula for the number to get into the system, could I enquire how the AMET guy gets round this? What does he do - buy a 'job lot' from DGTT wholesale? Does he fill in the paperwork & are all of you 300 pesos revista people (or 250 in your case) in the system?

If you are, that's one thing. But if you aren't, the next little scam is another AMET guy 'running a check' & telling you that you have a revista which is 'false' or 'not registered' or somesuch & demanding that you need to buy one of his revistas or else you'll be fined, have car removed etc etc. We all know how these things work - it doesn't necessarily stop at today's 300 pesos. Plus, once you've been fingered as someone who prefers convenience & is prepared to pay for it, you are leaving yourself open for a whole range of other scams. So even if the 'one small step against corruption' argument doesn't appeal, maybe 'future damage control' will? :)

La Mariposa

Bronze
Jun 4, 2004
I know why people do it, BobK, and I do not judge. I merely comment. But since you know the official system & you know that when paying the tax at BanReservas you need to present your cedula for the number to get into the system, could I enquire how the AMET guy gets round this? What does he do - buy a 'job lot' from DGTT wholesale? Does he fill in the paperwork & are all of you 300 pesos revista people (or 250 in your case) in the system?

If you are, that's one thing. But if you aren't, the next little scam is another AMET guy 'running a check' & telling you that you have a revista which is 'false' or 'not registered' or somesuch & demanding that you need to buy one of his revistas or else you'll be fined, have car removed etc etc. We all know how these things work - it doesn't necessarily stop at today's 300 pesos. Plus, once you've been fingered as someone who prefers convenience & is prepared to pay for it, you are leaving yourself open for a whole range of other scams. So even if the 'one small step against corruption' argument doesn't appeal, maybe 'future damage control' will? :)

I don't have a cedula and never had problem paying the 45 pesos tax at BanReserva.

Aug 21, 2007
You can take someone with you who has a cedula. The bank will use their number for the receipt. When I was there, they would not use my passport number. They needed a cedula number.

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
They used to take passports but last year wanted cedulas. But you can use someone elses.

To clarify how i did it i did pay someone to take my cedula and matricula to the the bank and pay the tax. He then went to PP with out my car and paid someone a small fee for the revista sticker. So the govt did get my 45 pesos and by the looks of the roads around here i did not get my monies worth:ermm:

Bob K

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
OK thanks LindsayK & BobK, anyone's cedula will do. I'm not so much concerned BobK as to whether your 45 RD$ goes to the Government or not, rather I'm trying to work out if the system you use in Sosua via the AMET cop gives you a revista which is watertight, 100% kosher, which can bring no future problems. So let me ask, does the AMET cop take a cedula number from applicants?

The proceedure at DGTT means that the copies of the BanReservas slip get stapled to the papers from which your revista was taken (before being put on your car). These then all go back to SD eventually (possibly to be filed in a cardboard box :cheeky:). If the AMET cop doesn't have BanReservas slips, how does he signify for anyone else checking that these revistas he sells are registered in the system?

I'm just trying to avoid hassle for people at some stage in the future. We know that buying fake driving licences can catch up with you (as it has with some people who post on DR1). Unregistered revistas (if they are) might not have got much coverage yet but there's always the possibility. Part of my mantra of 'damage control' is spotting the possible scams before they arise.

What this AMET cop does could be 'legal' (if expensive!) in the sense that the revista you get is valid & registered to you. But if it isn't..........I don't know the answer because I've never taken part in his scheme. But someone must know?

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
It is not an AMET cop that we use but rather a "gofer" in the office. Yes he takes the cedula and yes he gets the reciept stamped in PP when the sticker is issued. I think he just gives the old man at the desk there 50 pesos or so to give him the sticker without inspecting the car. It is registered and all the paperwork is in the car glove box. Just saves me the hassle of driving to PP and waiting on line at the bank. Two years ago when I did it all myself I had a 2 hour wait in the bank and did not wait for the last minute to do it, but ratehr about 2 weeks before the deadline.

BobK

Status
Not open for further replies.