US Banks

Fuddzie

Dec 3, 2008
Are there any US banks in DR where I could use their ATM cards and other services without charges?

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Scotia Bank is all over RD and is free to use for Bank Of America account holders.

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
You can use WAMU card in the DR at no charge in any ATM
Who told you that?
Upon reading this, I called Washington Mutual/Chase and they are saying that that is not true. That you would still be subject to a foreign transaction fee.
Don't shoot the messenger, I am just telling you what they told me.
SHALENA

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
what you say is true Shalena,i get charged a foreign transaction fee by WAMU,no ATM fee tho..
How much is the forwign transaction fee, if you don't mind me asking? I am debating whether I would be better off to switch my job direct deposit to WAMU or not.
SHALENA

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
Also, I have a Banco Popular account in Santiago, if I switch to Popular Bank in NYC can I take out at Banco Popular without fees?
SHALENA

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
TEST drive the B of A/ Scotia combo as well!

I got RD35/USD my last trip with NO fees out of the Scotia ATH, while Caribe Express was paying $RD34.90.

Canela21

Oct 29, 2008
Sking, I'm pretty sure the Popular bank you're talking about in NYC is the Puerto Rico-based bank, not the DR one (unless Banco Popular DR has opened up in NYC since I left which is very possible lol).

I use my Bank of America card at Scotia Bank and have had no problems.

Feb 7, 2007
Who told you that?
Upon reading this, I called Washington Mutual/Chase and they are saying that that is not true. That you would still be subject to a foreign transaction fee.
Don't shoot the messenger, I am just telling you what they told me.
SHALENA

You're responsible for foreign transaction fee, which is 1.5%.
Lot less than in other banks where it reaches 4%.

No ATM fee is what I am referring to.

If you look back previous posts I wrote on this subject you will see I have never hidden the fact. And why would I, if the "foreign transaction fee" is a normal practice of ONE AND EVERY bank in the world?

Even with Bank of America, when you withdraw at Scotiabank, you get the foreign transaction fee. Some banks "adjust" the exchange rate by the foreign transaction fee so it may not be obvious, and some charge it apart.

If I use my Banco Leon debit card abroad (e.g. on Paypal), the exchange rate I get is now about 36.5 to 1, as compared to the real exchange rate 35 to 1.

Some banks do it straightforward, some banks do it the hidden way.

Anyhow, back to topic. Even with 1.5% FTF on WAMU, I get an exchange rate very close to what Caribe Express has.

Domwolf

Mar 22, 2004
You're responsible for foreign transaction fee, which is 1.5%.
Lot less than in other banks where it reaches 4%.

No ATM fee is what I am referring to.

If you look back previous posts I wrote on this subject you will see I have never hidden the fact. And why would I, if the "foreign transaction fee" is a normal practice of ONE AND EVERY bank in the world?

Even with Bank of America, when you withdraw at Scotiabank, you get the foreign transaction fee. Some banks "adjust" the exchange rate by the foreign transaction fee so it may not be obvious, and some charge it apart.

If I use my Banco Leon debit card abroad (e.g. on Paypal), the exchange rate I get is now about 36.5 to 1, as compared to the real exchange rate 35 to 1.

Some banks do it straightforward, some banks do it the hidden way.

Anyhow, back to topic. Even with 1.5% FTF on WAMU, I get an exchange rate very close to what Caribe Express has.

NOT TRUE, 100% Free at a great exchange rate

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
I have a Bank Of America Myacess Free Checking and i do ATM at ScotiaBank ATMs. All Free , NO CHARGES WHAT SO EVERY, NO ATM FEE NO INTERNATIONAL ATM.

They are part of Global ATM Alliance . read this

Global ATM Alliance - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I have been doing this for months no fees ever.

I am going to read that link on my break and see if it's worth the switch. I'm losing alot of money per month on fees.
SHALENA

M

misterchicago40

DO There is no Transaction charge for BOA People at Nova scotia???

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
PLEASE Explain again THE BOA ISSUE??

Dude:

You get a great tasa in the DR using your B of A card at Scotia Bank ATH's with no fees, is this difficult to understand?

READ the thread.

I get 35+ out of the ATH net, when Caribe Express was 35!

tambo'

Reactions: bachata

boca chica dave

Sep 25, 2004
Dude:

You get a great tasa in the DR using your B of A card at Scotia Bank ATH's with no fees, is this difficult to understand?

READ the thread.

I get 35+ out of the ATH net, when Caribe Express was 35!

tambo'

At the Scotia banls in SD we have only gotten a rate of 32-32.6 for some time. When the Bof A card is used at BHD or Popular it is 35+. No fees at Scotia. For 1st 2 transactions a month BofA does not charge a fee after that its $10.00 in fees (5 for each bank) and the international charge. Are people getting better rates with Scotia in other areas of the country? That's not right.

FernieBee

Bronze
Feb 20, 2008
FlyerGuide.com

ATM/Check/Debit Cards (used at ATM)
Capital One (0% foreign transaction fee)
$500/day limit. Fees appear to vary depending on the account-holder's state of residence and/or how the account was opened. Branch-based customers in NY report a $1.50 fee, for example, while accounts opened through CapOne Direct Banking in regions without CapOne branches do not have a $1.50 fee. Be sure to check the terms for your particular account before traveling.