Question about the medical for PR visa to Canada

CanWest66

May 11, 2008
Canada
I just got married in Santiago last week, my wife and I are in Caberete on our honey moon. I have been looking over the application for PR in Canada and I am not clear on the medical. Should she take the medical now or after I submit the application package? They seem to say that once her application is in process she will be sent instructions to take to the Designated Medical Practitioner. I would like to get the entire package ready to mail off when I return to Vancouver in a couple of weeks. Any help would be greatly apreciated.
Tom.

Last edited by a moderator:

eve_bebe00

Jan 21, 2008
hi,
its better to do it now, cause if you do it after the embassy in Haiti tells you to, it can delayed your process a couple of months, and you don't want that. i am pretty sure that everybody here do the medical 1st, including me. Just make sure to follow the instruction from Appendix C.
hope it helps,
Eve

lexi

Bronze
Jan 23, 2007
Do it now!! Do not wait - you don't want to delay your case any longer then it will already take!!

CanWest66

May 11, 2008
Canada
Thank you all for the input we are going to the Captial on monday to do the medical. I do have the complete sponsorship package from CIC and I have spoken with the doctor, who is a designated medical practitioner, from the CIC web site.

liam1

Bronze
Jun 9, 2004
I just came from SD, my wife did the test today. If you have any questions ask. MAKE SURE THE DOCS THEY GIVE YOU AFTER-WARDS ARE SPELLED CORRECTLY. The lady in Dr. Alfonso Brossa's office is a terrible speller.

MBG

Nov 13, 2008
Hi!

My husband did his medical on Oct of last year (2007)... I have been IN PROCESS since June.... Sent my application in March 2008, was approved to sponsor since April 2008...Should my husband redo his medical now or wait 'till the Embassy says so...I asked a friend who is also an Immigration counselor, she told me not to do anything untill I'm told... Because they might let it slide.... What do you guys think? I value any input I get on DR1! Thanks in advance!

ladiva

Dec 13, 2008
if I were your husband, I would definitely redo the medical now. My husband's visa was approved about a week before his medical expired. It was clear from my conversations with the immigration officials in Haiti that if we could not get him on a plane to Canada before the expiration of the medical, he would have to redo it. sounds like your spouse's medical has already expired.

Johana

May 24, 2006
MBG,

Immigration is not going to let the expired medical slide. Another poster was told at one point that her husband's medical was valid longer than 1 year. This was a mistake on the part of Immigration. I believe they only gave a 1 week grace due to their error.

Once the visa is issued it is only valid until either the medical expires or the passport expires whichever comes first (majority of the time being the medical). Your husband will need to have a valid/unexpired medical before they will issue the visa. And as ladiva mentioned they need a guarantee that the person will land in Canada prior to the expiry.

If you wait for Haiti to finish the process and then send out the request for a medical you could add 2-3 months delay.

Do you have his Bfile number? If you have him redo the medical I would send a message via Haiti's website under your husband's name and Bfile number - or your own if you filled out the Use of Representative form. When my husband had to send additional documents we had success in receiving a response when he used the website asking they acknowledge receipt of the documents.

Good luck and I hope your husband is here with you soon!

MBG

Nov 13, 2008
Hi Johanna!

Thank you so much! We've had the B file number since June 17th (when Ha?ti started processing the PR application). Which is why I think I'm close to finish with this nerve breaking process (almost 6 months since then). By the way I sent them 2 e-mails, they replied almost instantly. I received the letter requesting additional documents in August sent them all in September, they received them on Sept 29th. On Nov 3rd I sent an e-mail to tell them if they should need anything else to e-mail me (I was thinking about the medicals...But they weren't expired yet) I also gave them an extra phone number where they could reach my husband. In the reply, they said they'll forward my info to the person assigned to work on my file. Last week I sent another e-mail requesting a confirmation of receipt of documents and mentioned again to e-mail me or send a letter to my address if anything..(the meds have been expired since Oct 30th!). So they confirmed that they have the extra documents requested in August, and said they will contact my husband as soon as they're done...."Given the high volume of applications, all applications are queued and processed on a first come first served basis..."...So, maybe I should have asked them what I'm asking here (For some reason I didn't think it was a good idea)!!! Anyway, I will be flying to POP This Sunday, so I should get my husband to do the medicals as soon as I get there and send them right away to Ha?ti,right or right?!!

Thank you so much Johanna for your help! If there's anything else you would like to add please do so. Anybody else has something to say, don't hold back!

Thanks again Johanna! And to everyone else here!

MBG

Nov 13, 2008
OOPS LADIVA!

I just read your post!

Thanks ! I'll be in Puerto Plata on Sunday, we'll be @ the doctor's @ the latest on Tuesday!

I'll let you guys and gals know!

MBG

Nov 13, 2008
Hi everyone!

I wanted to take a moment to wish you Happy Holidays and hopefully you will be spending this special time of the year with your spouse! Some of you will be cuddling in the cold, others in the sunshine like me. Again thanks to each and everyone of you for being so supportive and helpful in our long distance relationships!

Read you next year! lol

MBG

Nov 13, 2008
Hey!

My husband redid his medicals on dec 29th! I don't think there's anything else I have to do concerning the documents....So, just waiting....

Thanks for your advice everyone!