One Currency + One Passport = One Unified Central American State

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Last friday the presidents/representatives from various Central American countries approved a series of measures to be implemented to confront the global financial crisis.

Among the 41 measures, includes:

1. A unified credit, financial, and economic fund to promote development through out Central America.

2. Immediate priority to investment in infrastructure, agriculture, and commerce; and new programs to stimulate a unifying economic panorama in the region.

3. The "Plan de Medidas Urgentes" (Urgent Measures Plan) will focus on addressing the threats the global financial crisis poses to Central America.

4. Promote the concept of a unified Central American identity via a common currency and a common Central American passport.

5. Also, laws concerning immigration, education, and democratic security will be equalized through out the region (ie. free flow of labor across borders, equal education standards, and security across the region).

6. Moreover, policies to capture foreign investment and a plan that would reintegrate Central American immigrants living in the U.S. and/or Europe.

8. The leaders compromised to safeguard the financial stability across the region.

This new Central American Union will be comprised by the following countries:

Guatemala, El Salvador, Nicaragua, Belize, Panam?, and the Dominican Republic.

El Caribe: Centroam?rica y RD acuerdan medidas
Se proponen impulsar moneda y pasaporte ?nico

-NALs

TheHun

May 4, 2008
Welcome to the New World Orders' One Word Government!
Get in the line to get your RFID chip, pay your taxes, shut the f#$% up, love your government, fear the terrorist, believe the media and marry to your cousin 'cause we need more stupid sheep like you.

Global financial crisis my a$$! It was planned a long time ago. It had to be done so they can sell the NAU, CAU, SAU, EU and all their crap to the people.
Liberty is really only a statue near Manhattan....

TheHun

heliace

On Vacation!
Mar 27, 2004
Whoaa!!

Dude,

Go buy a bottle of Barcelo. 1 part barceloto 2 parts coca cola and add ice.
Do this until at least half the bottle is gone and then take a chill pill.
:cheeky:

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
The Hun, very amusing but I think Nals post refers only to a Central American Union, not one involving North America.

Nals, did you see a proposed timeline anywhere? Deutsche Welle are reporting (in English) no timetable.
Central American countries want common currency | World News | Deutsche Welle | 06.12.2008

And since we've seen proposals like this before on currency & passports, I'm wondering what would lead you to suppose this one has any more legs than the others which went before it?

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Lambada said:
The Hun, very amusing but I think Nals post refers only to a Central American Union, not one involving North America.

Nals, did you see a proposed timeline anywhere? Deutsche Welle are reporting (in English) no timetable.
Central American countries want common currency | World News | Deutsche Welle | 06.12.2008
They didn't specify a time line, but its contingent upon the ratification of the agreement by the governments of each country.

Lambada said:
And since we've seen proposals like this before on currency & passports, I'm wondering what would lead you to suppose this one has any more legs than the others which went before it?
Aside from the successful implementation of DR-CAFTA, which gives credibility to the idea of Central American countries (DR included) uniting towards achieving a goal, there are signs that this is well underway.

For starters, there even is a website for the newly created entity to achieve this goal.

Secretar?a Ejecutiva del Consejo Monetario Centroamericano

-NALs

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
And the difference is:????

Several hundred miles and a whole lot of different outlook?

For starters, there even is a website for the newly created entity to achieve this goal.

Secretar?a Ejecutiva del Consejo Monetario Centroamericano

-NALs

Thanks Nals, very interesting website. This for example where they give a lot of emphasis to Paul Krugman's analyses.
http://www.secmca.org/Docs/documentos/notas/articulo16nov2008.pdf

How do you see the Consejo Monetario Centroamericano interfacing with proposals for a Banco Central de Am?rica del Sur for example?
http://news.bn.gs/article.php?story=20080527113904532

bonao99

Jun 11, 2005
What happened to Costa Rica?

Did Costa Rica opt out? They playing the card UK played with the euro?

Bonao99

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
-Unifying with Central America ???
-And still keeping an armed border with Haiti ???

BS !!!!!

Ezequiel

Bronze
Jun 4, 2008
And Honduras, and Cuba, and Grand Cayman, and Haiti, and Jamaica, and Mexico...

The European Union stated with a few countries, then more started to applied for membership, more countries will join once they see they can benefit too.

oriole100

Bronze
Oct 9, 2005
I know I'm a little slow, but I don't think the Euro has really worked out. You join and when they revalue, everything goes up 20-40%. I guess I don't get it.

A.Hidalgo

Silver
Apr 28, 2006
In times of economic crisis governments find that banding together makes a lot of sense, but I wonder if these countries in question had not signed the DR-CAFTA agreement would they be in this position. Like many things in life only time will tell.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
How do you see the Consejo Monetario Centroamericano interfacing with proposals for a Banco Central de Am?rica del Sur for example?
Breaking News - Brazil's President Lula favours South American Central Bank
I think the economic changes being implemented in the Cono Sur (southern South America) in general has sparked the interest of the CMC to go ahead with the further unification.

Now that the U.S. is ailing, many countries are proposing and putting into effect new mechanisms that will weaken the U.S. strong hold in each region. For example, South American countries that are members of Mercosur, which is a free trade block among Cono Sur countries and Venezuela; they have ratified the elimination of the U.S. dollar as an intermediate currency for trade within Mercosur countries.

In other parts of the world, many countries are shifting towards the Euro as the preferred hard currency.

My guess would be that whatever happens in the Cono Sur, the same could be expected in this Central American unification.

-NALs

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
-Unifying with Central America ???
-And still keeping an armed border with Haiti ???

BS !!!!!
If Haiti wants to join, it should:

A) Show a sign of interest by sending delegates to be included.

and

B) Be accepted by all member states.

The DR sort of united with Central America when it asked to be included in the DR-CAFTA and, subsequently, was accepted by the Central American countries. Panama was left out and guess what? They made their own free trade agreement with the U.S. which basically, gives them the same advantages the CAFTA countries have.

And where was Haiti in all of this?

The Haitian government didn't care enough to join CAFTA, didn't care enough to develop its own free trade agreement with the U.S.; the Haitian government simply doesn't care about these things.

The DR government does care.

Can't blame one for the lack of interest of the other.

I must say that Haiti did tried to become a full member of CARICOM and CARICOM countries (all Caribbean island nations) rejected Haiti's full member request. In the end, Haiti was accepted as a member of CARICOM, but its heavily marginalized since they are not fully integrated. The DR gets more attention from CARICOM countries than does Haiti. Perhaps, this has something to do with Haiti's lack of interest in pursuing policies that would, in the long run, improve its economy with respect to other economies in the area.

-NALs

Last edited:

aarhus

Long live King Frederik X
Jun 10, 2008
Is DR-CAFTA a succes? Can anyone tell me what the real impact has been. I dont feel there is free trade here when for instance some people have to pay tax and others dont.

A.Hidalgo

Silver
Apr 28, 2006
drcaycu as an answer to your question and what I brought up.....
I but I wonder if these countries in question had not signed the DR-CAFTA agreement would they be in this position..
.....the article answers our questions on the negative side. Seems many of these free trade agreements promulgated by the US with its free market neoliberal bent, are turning out to be a disaster for LA. The US was/is the one benefiting more.

Nothing Gained on Trade
Contrary to initial promises, DR-CAFTA has largely failed to expand Central American export markets, instead bolstering imports from the U.S. to the region. In fact, Central American countries were better off prior to DR-CAFTA. Before this new deal was signed, 80 percent of Central American exports already entered the U.S. duty-free under existing agreements including the Caribbean Basin Initiative, which was implemented in 1984. Under this previous initiative, Central American countries maintained tariffs on many U.S. imports to prevent goods from flooding domestic markets and paralyzing the growth of nascent industries in the region. However, in a push to implement DR-CAFTA, the Bush administration threatened Central American governments with the removal of existing trade preferences, thus strong-arming them into signing an agreement that was not truly in their best interests. Despite rhetoric about DR-CAFTA?s benefits to Central America, the accord was in fact designed to remove the region?s existing protective tariffs, ?leveling the playing field? to give the U.S. significantly more access to Central American markets.

Dealing with a Bad Deal: Two Years of DR-CAFTA in Central America - Council on Hemispheric Affairs

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
drcaycu as an answer to your question and what I brought up..........the article answers our questions on the negative side. Seems many of these free trade agreements promulgated by the US with its free market neoliberal bent, are turning out to be a disaster for LA. The US was/is the one benefiting more.

Dealing with a Bad Deal: Two Years of DR-CAFTA in Central America - Council on Hemispheric Affairs
I wonder if the creators of that "report" were anti DR-CAFTA before it was even an idea. :ermm:

The following are the first paragraphs of three articles concerning the effects DR-CAFTA has had on the DR. Click on them to read more and if anyone wants more sources, I'll be glad to supply them. ;)

El economista Roberto Despradel destac? anoche los aspectos positivos del primer a?o de implementaci?n del Tratado de Libre Comercio entre Estados Unidos, Centroam?rica y la Rep?blica Dominicana (DR-CAFTA) en el pa?s.

Las exportaciones agropecuarias y agroindustriales de Rep?blica Dominicana ascendieron a US$301.53 millones, en los meses de enero a agosto de 2008, de acuerdo a un informe del Centro de Exportaciones e Inversi?n de Rep?blica Dominicana (CEI-RD).

La inversi?n extranjera directa en Rep?blica Dominicana aument? significativamente en el a?o 2007, per?odo en que entr? en vigencia en el pa?s el DR-Cafta, debido a que alcanz? US$1,698.0 millones, seg?n datos del Banco Central.

-NALs

Last edited: