How do you haggle?

tjmurray

Bronze
Aug 11, 2006
I wanted to get an idea of some different haggling techniques dr1's use, focusing on the purchase of souvenirs.

More specifically, say you're in the mercado modelo in SD and are interested in purchasing an item from one of the vendors. You are given a price...now what?

Do you low ball? Offer 50% of the ticket price or another percentage?

I'm just interested in the techniques, if any, that people use to purchase souvenirs in the Dominican Republic.

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
I wanted to get an idea of some different haggling techniques dr1's use, focusing on the purchase of souvenirs.

More specifically, say you're in the mercado modelo in SD and are interested in purchasing an item from one of the vendors. You are given a price...now what?

I'm just interested in the techniques, if any, that people use to purchase souvenirs in the Dominican Republic.

The best technique would be to not ask a question like this.

When you get here call us and we will help you!

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
1) Ask the price. When quoted,

2) Laugh, and start walking away.

-If the vendor calls you back, offer 30%. When he objects, ask what his best price is, and be prepared to take it or leave it.

-If he doesn't call you back, a deal was not to be had.

A

apostropheman

-If the vendor calls you back, offer 30%. When he objects, ask what his best price is, and be prepared to take it or leave it.

Solid advice, as expected, and also fair. Saves wasted time, is not insulting (as haggling sometimes can seem) and often works, in my experience.

Last edited:
A

apostropheman

Not to worry, methinks he's "got his drink on" :cheeky::bunny::bunny:

<object width="480" height="295">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/BSVfo9LGOJw&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="295"></object>
The best technique would be to not ask a question like this.

When you get here call us and we will help you!

Why would I not be able to ask a question like this? In any case, I live here.
It was a good question that many are probably interested in.

Last edited by a moderator:

tjmurray

Bronze
Aug 11, 2006
There are many techniques...and there was a thread a while back on this exact topic...but cobraboy's post sums up the best method...for the DR or anywhere.

Yes, there was a rather long thread back in April about bargaining. I mentioned the Mercado Modelo because there are numerous stalls in the same building, all basically selling the same thing.

I wasn't sure if this affected anyone's haggling techniques since you can simply walk to the next stall if you don't like the price.

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
Take into account certain body language. Some vendors get a bit irascible and take offense at a tourist trying to haggle.

Some of them believe firmly in their hearts that as a tourist or expat you SHOULD pay more because you can afford to, and will refuse to budge.

I've run into vendors who seemed quite content NOT selling me anything than conceding to a more reasonable price.

But souvenir vendors are a dime a dozen. If one gives you attitude or you sense a bit of aggression, go to another.

Last edited:

Beads

Bronze
May 21, 2006

I like the 30% rule typically to start things off. The most important thing to know about what your going to purchase is how much it is really worth or what a typical price is for this item. We all should know how much a shirt or towel costs. Smaller trinkets are more difficult but should be cheap if they are made locally.

I try not to purchase anything in stores where items have no price tags. This makes the tourist areas difficult to shop in.

Also do not use a driver or taxi or the price goes up so the driver can get a commision!

I would suggest start by looking where the locals live in store where prices are on the items to get a feel for what this type of item is being sold for.

Next if you choose to haggle in the tourist areas my gameplan involves using time on my side. The tourist merchants want the sale today. Don't tell people during small talk how long your in town.

This gives you the edge in knowing how long you have to make your purchase.

The vender has no idea if hes going to lose a sale because your leaving and going home.

During low season or days when the shopping area is less crowded you also can stand a chance of getting a lower price.

Like I said I like the 30% rule. He gives you a price you offer 30% of that. A lot of the venders typically double or even triple their prices for tourists so your just bringing it back down to where it should be anyhow.

Now on day 1 of the haggle he starts at $70 USD. This should be the first clue since hes quoting in USD and not RD. Now you have to know the correct exchange rate. So for example $70 USD is about 2000RD. Now since hes figuring on the exchange rate being in his favor(Ill use 35RD=1 USD in my example) I penalize him for trying to charge me in USD and offer him 600RD.

He'll try whatever excuses and sob stories about being broke and having no money and how rich you are and its not a lot of money story. You make the final offer at 600RD and walk away.

He will probably try calling you back for 1200 or 1000RD. This is where you say I offered 600RD. If he continues pushing tell him the new price is 550RD.

If hes desperate for the sale you could probably get your 600RD or even the 500RD if you push it. If not walk away. The next day walk by him and see what he says. If he ignores you time to move on to the next store (most sell the same stuff anyhow). If he tries the sales pitch again start with the 550RD or even go lower to 500RD and let him try to work you back to the original 600RD. Tell him you were ready to pay 600RD the other day but he said no.

Let him know your going to find the same item someplace else for 600RD so he knows your shopping and thats your price.

This is my example of haggling. It might not work for everyone but this is just how I like to shop when theirs no price tags. Also even if there is a price tag you still can make an offer. The worst thing they can do is say no.

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006

best advice....

this works well on working girls too :laugh:

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago

This is what I was going to say but Robert beat me to it.

Certainly some vendors are going to walk away, especially if you are seen as a tourist or gringo, but for every one that does, four others will take their place that will sell it to you for the Dominican price.

It also doesn't hurt to tell them that you are not a tourist and live here.

Sep 19, 2005
personally I would squabble over items under a certain price range...it isnt worth the headache...

200 pesos or 175 pesos

quailty of life comes into play..

and i am always ready to just say.. BYE!

I also think that were you are in the country is a huge factor....you are really being an A-hole if you just assume out in the sticks at some colmadoor roadside stand that you can cut the price in less than half...because it worked in the resort town...

I have pulled up at little stands and the price for what i wanted was 5 or 10 pesos.....you got to believe ...that was everyones price!!!

bad bad bob

tjmurray

Bronze
Aug 11, 2006
Thanks for all the replies. Now that I've received some feedback, I would like to pose this question:

If you could pick the brain of a vendor, you know get an inside scoop on how to haggle with him, what would you ask? The price he buys the goods at? The best techniques that work with him? The average percentage mark up?

This might sounds a bit out there but there is a reason to my madness.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Thanks for all the replies. Now that I've received some feedback, I would like to pose this question:

If you could pick the brain of a vendor, you know get an inside scoop on how to haggle with him, what would you ask? The price he buys the goods at? The best techniques that work with him? The average percentage mark up?

This might sounds a bit out there but there is a reason to my madness.

Unless you are friends with the go they won't go for this... however... it sounds like you are trying to start a business, therefore you need to befriend one of these guys to find out where they get there stuff. Maybe a bottle of Mac will do.

tjmurray

Bronze
Aug 11, 2006
Unless you are friends with the go they won't go for this... however... it sounds like you are trying to start a business, therefore you need to befriend one of these guys to find out where they get there stuff. Maybe a bottle of Mac will do.

I am not trying to start a business and I mentioned the situation hypothetically, as if you were friends with a vendor. This is just some research.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005

Me thinks TJ might be writing an article for the DR1 knowledgebase!

I will post my methods of bargaining at Mercado Modelo a little later, when 9 vendors all have the same overpriced tamboras & guirras, lotsa fun to play one off the other!

tjmurray

Bronze
Aug 11, 2006
Me thinks TJ might be writing an article for the DR1 knowledgebase!

I will post my methods of bargaining at Mercado Modelo a little later, when 9 vendors all have the same overpriced tamboras & guirras, lotsa fun to play one off the other!

Not quite, but something similar so any related feedback is greatly appreciated.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i try to find a price beforehand (more or less) from dominicans. whatever seller says i say the price i am prepared to pay. they either take it or i leave.
i always ask for a discount when paying cash too, most shops will agree to that.

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
another way is to give the money to a chica friend (you trust of course) and have her buy it. don't go with her as the vendor will then assume it's your money.

again, this only works on someone you trust. she may haggle to a certain price and keep the change and then tell you he charged me this much....