Food poisoning?

billyidol

Banned
Feb 9, 2004
Today, 03:04 PM
Ceasar Garcia
Bronze Join Date: Oct 2008
(12)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This was the last comment made by a chef;
Ok, I know I am going to get BLASTED here. But as a Chef. You cannot get food poising in 24 hours. However, there are many other types of intestine track infections that can up. Most are water bore. Or from under cook meat or by cross contamination. Even in your home. Never handle cooked meat with the same fork you have used on raw meat. Wash your hands. Most likely the sickness was caused by lack of proper hand washing or a clean counter surface. Not from the food itself. Voice of expericence 30 years in the food business.

My 2 cents ; A chef is NOT qualified to make an estimation regarding the length of time food poisoning will take to actually manifest itself in the human body (via diarrhea or other symptoms).it is important to know what type of food poisoning 'one' is talking about!
Salmonella symptoms begin 8-72 hrs after eating the particular food item
staph' aureus; 1-6hrs,just for an example
.........dude!!! your a chef!!! Not an M.O!!!! I say with respect. i hear you make a wonderful chocolate souffle
BI

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Today, 03:04 PM
Ceasar Garcia
Bronze Join Date: Oct 2008
(12)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This was the last comment made by a chef;
Ok, I know I am going to get BLASTED here. But as a Chef. You cannot get food poising in 24 hours. However, there are many other types of intestine track infections that can up. Most are water bore. Or from under cook meat or by cross contamination. Even in your home. Never handle cooked meat with the same fork you have used on raw meat. Wash your hands. Most likely the sickness was caused by lack of proper hand washing or a clean counter surface. Not from the food itself. Voice of expericence 30 years in the food business.

My 2 cents ; A chef is NOT qualified to make an estimation regarding the length of time food poisoning will take to actually manifest itself in the human body (via diarrhea or other symptoms).it is important to know what type of food poisoning 'one' is talking about!
Salmonella symptoms begin 8-72 hrs after eating the particular food item
staph' aureus; 1-6hrs,just for an example
.........dude!!! your a chef!!! Not an M.O!!!! I say with respect. i hear you make a wonderful chocolate souffle
BI
Except chefs are trained in food safety. I owned a restaurant/bar and I'VE been trained in food safety. One thing the state authorities said was that folks will NOT get food poisoning in 24 hours, and that includes salmonella.

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
I have been eating there for the past Two Years and have never been sick.

If your American, you will love the place.....all of the other Cheepskates will hate it !

Badpiece talks aboute cheap skates and I agree, everyone wants low prices but will argue over why you serve Dominican Ketchup Vs Heinz or why you serve a Sugar Syrup vs Aint Jemamma.

If the consumers do not demand more quality of the condiments they will receive....then well the onus is on ..........

I love marketing and my name is Mike!

Fishguy

Oct 22, 2006
Sorry, but saying that you can't get food poisoning within the first 24 hours is a load of bunk. Check any medical reference or ask a doctor and he'll tell you how false that is. Symptoms manifest anywhere from 30 minutes to 2 weeks.

I've personally had food poisoning 5 times in my life and 3 of those times hit me exactly at 6 hours. They didn't happen in the DR. The other 2 were cases of Campy in the DR and those took closer to a day. I still won't eat an egg at a restaurant here simply because I don't want to go through that cramping again.

Yes, I'm fully trained in food safety handling too. In fact, one of the times I got poisoned was from a garnish slice of tomato at a newly opened restaurant in Canada. Most likely a case of an inexperienced line cook using a dirty knife to cut the tomato. I won't eat garnishes on a plate anymore either.

b.batista

Feb 21, 2008
24 hours is not correct

It can take 4, even 2 and if it is extremely grave it can take 15 minutes. Anything that takes 24 hours will just make you gas and poof poof.

A

apostropheman

Some facts about food poisoning (google could be your friend too!):

Food Poisoning - Associated Content

<style> #mid_col .grad { width: 300px; overflow: hidden; } #mid_col .grad_content { width: 280px; overflow: hidden; } </style>Food Poisoning

An Illness that Can Sicken, or Even KILL You!

By Kassidy Emmerson, published Jun 08, 2006

When the calendar turns to the warm weather months, it's time for cookouts, barbecues, picnics, and other outdoor get togethers. It's also a time when the threat of food poisoning increases. Basically, food poisoning happens when a person eats food that has been contaminated with bacteria or other toxins. The most common bacteria is E. coli. But, Staph aureus, E. coli enteritis, Salmonella, Bacillus cereus, Shigella, Listeria, and Cholera also cause food poisoning.

Food becomes contaminated most often when it hasn't been prepared or stored properly. If the preparer's hands are dirty, the utensils or containers aren't sanitary, or the area the food is prepared at is unclean, food poisoning can occur. Another cause is when meats aren't cooked long enough. And, if foods- especially dairy products- aren't kept refrigerated, bacteria can easily form, and food poisoning can affect the people who eat the food.

The most common symptoms of food poisoning are nausea and vomiting. Abdominal distress is also common, as is Diarrhea. The sufferer may also experience fever, chills, fatigue, and a headache. After a person eats contaminated food, the symptoms of food poisoning typically appear within two to six hours. However, that time frame may be shorter or longer, depending on the amount of bacteria in the food, and the amount eaten.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

There is a lot more for those that choose to educate themselves, and separate "the wheat from the chaff"

food poisoning time frame - Google Search ;)

Ceasar Garcia

Oct 1, 2008
The only real point I was trying to make is that rarely do we get sick from bad food. Per-say. It comes from the cross-contamination. I dirty counter top, fork, someone who went to the restroom and, did not wash their hands. Mayo left out etc. Reason being most not all Rests. know that meat is the most expensive investment on the food plate. So they will keep it in good order. In my own home I wash my hands in between al dishes I am preparing. I take my salad and, rinse it in a little colrox to kill any KILGONS. The tropics arte just a gaint petry dish waiting to explode. Even the 5 gals. of water you buy. I put 5 drops of clorox in it. It has been sitting in the SUN for days. If that was your swimming pool it would be green. We as westerns have little of the bactiera in uour systems like the natives do. My ex-wife came back one time and, she wanted to eat everything. I told her Brenda, you can't you are American now. You do not have the tolerance for the critters anymore. Sure enough the hard head got sick and, was in the bathroom for three days.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Billy, Ceasar et al
I've changed the thread title as this is a useful discussion about food poisoning in general. No point in linking it to an old complaint about one specific establishment.

Maybe there is a technical distinction between out-and-out food poisoning and something disagreeing with you? I've had both, and in some cases you know almost instantly that you're going to be ill, but it is usually flushed out (literally) very quickly. The type that takes a couple of days to develop is actual intoxication and takes longer to recover from.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
The only real point I was trying to make is that rarely do we get sick from bad food. Per-say. It comes from the cross-contamination. I dirty counter top, fork, someone who went to the restroom and, did not wash their hands. Mayo left out etc. Reason being most not all Rests. know that meat is the most expensive investment on the food plate. So they will keep it in good order. In my own home I wash my hands in between al dishes I am preparing. I take my salad and, rinse it in a little colrox to kill any KILGONS. The tropics arte just a gaint petry dish waiting to explode.
All true. Our friend Sal Monella is Public Enemy #1, and it takes at least 24 hours, generally, to rear it's ugly head. There are others, yes, but it's by far the most likely candidate, by a wide margin, for "food poisoning".

There is a reason all state restaurant boards come in for inspections of EVERYTHING, including cleaning procedures, and REQUIRE food handlers to have training on food handling, defrosting, cooking, reheating and storage. In FL, each establishment is required to have a Certificated Food Safety and Training Manager on staff. In my place, it was me.